Northern Ireland same-sex marriage and Abortion move backed by MPs Watch

Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What do you guys think of this? Personally I think the aboartion one is great, up to 12 weeks should be legal everywhere, beyond that is up for debate, both sides have arguments worth hearing.

However I think the same sex marriage part is wrong. I have nothing against it but It’s a political issue, it’s not up to UK MP’s especially when N.I and UK relations already under strain. Being gay isn’t illegal there so there’s no rights abuse and no need for us to interfere. Civil partnerships? Sure. But marriage is a political issue for the devolved assembly and people of N.I to decide.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think poltics should not control religion, and we should be tolerant towards peoples religious beliefs. However I don't see a problem with same sex marriage as long as churches are not forced to accept them
Alt Tankie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well that’s what happens when you’re a colony. Of. Purse they’d have this stuff foisted on then in a United ireksnd s way so they’re stuffed either way.
pepe the prophet
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I fully support gay marriage I see no reason gays should not be allowed to marry and be given the same legal.civil protections that marriage grants traditional relationships.
I'm also pro choice to a point but there are some things about the way women are reacting to this in northern Ireland that I find unsettling when I see women walking around with T-shirts that have slogans like "I had an abortion" its incredibly offensive to pro life activists and pretty shameful to publicly celebrate extinguishing a life.
Woman should have the right to have an abortion with reasonable restrictions but the taking of a life should never be celebrated it should be a sombre moment in your life for some inward self reflection on the moral and ethical implications of your choices that lead you there and hopefully lead to them making better life choices in the future so they don't end up with any more unwanted pregnancy's.
Last edited by pepe the prophet; 6 days ago
cloud10
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I thought same sex marriage was all the entire uk ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by pepe the prophet)
I fully support gay marriage I see no reason gays should not be allowed to marry and be given the same legal.civil protections that marriage grants traditional relationships.
I'm also pro choice to a point but there are some things about the way women are reacting to this in northern Ireland that I find unsettling when I see women walking around with T-shirts that have slogans like "I had an abortion" its incredibly offensive to pro life activists and pretty shameful to publicly celebrate extinguishing a life.
Woman should have the right to have an abortion with reasonable restrictions but the taking of a life should never be celebrated it should be a sombre moment in your life for some inward self reflection on the moral and ethical implications of your choices that lead you there and hopefully lead to them making better life choices in the future so they don't end up with any more unwanted pregnancy's.
Churches should not be forced to provide service for people who their religion does not support, just so as people can have a photo in a pretty church. However bar that yes I agree.

On abortion I can argue with myself, I really dislike the veiw that men shouldn't have a voice on this subject and I could argue both ways. However I think that at the end of the day, if a person cannot love a child and support a child, abortions could be kinder in the long term. But it's a morbid subject and one certainly not to advertise on a t shirt.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
gah! it's all terrible.

oh well🤷
Last edited by Leviathan1611; 6 days ago
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Absolutely, abortions shouldn't be taken lightly, encouraged or celebrated. It's a last resort when things have gone wrong not a plan b
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 3121)
Absolutely, abortions shouldn't be taken lightly,
I dont think ive ever come across someone who takes them 'lightly'
encouraged
What do you mean by encouraged? I mean if said mother-to-be manifestly would not be able to take care of the child then why not? The countries foster/adoption system is an offence to god after all.
or celebrated.
When has anyone ever celebrated an abortion?
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
I dont think ive ever come across someone who takes them 'lightly'

What do you mean by encouraged? I mean if said mother-to-be manifestly would not be able to take care of the child then why not? The countries foster/adoption system is an offence to god after all.

Did you not see what it was in reply to? It was literally in response to someone treating abortion like that.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 3121)
Did you not see what it was in reply to? It was literally in response to someone treating abortion like that.
I was more referencing real world examples as opposed to forum allegations.. With that being said I take your point.
pepe the prophet
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
I was reading an article about 3-4 months ago that had a picture of the pro choice activists who had T-shirts saying things like *I (heart) Abortion* or *I had an abortion*

I did try and find the article but cant remeber the headline or where I read it as I read allot of news on a daily basis and its hard to keep track of it all especially after 3-4 months.

A quick google search for abortion T-shirts and you will quickly see that such T-shirts do indeed exist.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 3121)
However I think the same sex marriage part is wrong. I have nothing against it but It’s a political issue,
Sounds like you are against it to me. Just exactly how does two people of the same sex marrying diminish your life?

Yet you denying two people from marrying definitely impacts on their life. Live and let live.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
In my opinion the solution to gay marriage is:
Any two people (from either sex) can get a civil partnership
Religions may marry people in accordance with their religious doctrine.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I was reading an article about 3-4 months ago that had a picture of the pro choice activists who had T-shirts saying things like *I (heart) Abortion* or *I had an abortion*

I did try and find the article but cant remeber the headline or where I read it as I read allot of news on a daily basis and its hard to keep track of it all especially after 3-4 months.

A quick google search for abortion T-shirts and you will quickly see that such T-shirts do indeed exist.
Aye i had a quick google for that.
Let me rpehrase my original point as I seem to have miscommunicated my point, the vast overwhelming majority of people take the more sensible opinion that abortions are not a 'good' thing, as opposed to a least bad alternative. But to judge the mood based solely on a bunch of unwashed tree huggers who take the time to demonstrate would give a horribly skewed view of the true opinion of the majority
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Sounds like you are against it to me. Just exactly how does two people of the same sex marrying diminish your life?

Yet you denying two people from marrying definitely impacts on their life. Live and let live.
It doesn't affect my life at all, I just think it's wrong for the UK to make such decisions for Northern Ireland. Civil Partnerships give all the legal protections of marriage, however marriage remains a religious tradition to which the Churches of NI clearly don't agree with.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm neutral on the gay marriage thing

Husband and husband, and Wife and wife just sounds so weird to me.

Can't say I support it, but wouldn't go as far to say I oppose it.

As for abortion several countries have been hitting the news recently due to stories. One being where a pregnant mother was jailed for murder or something because she started beef with someone holding a gun and the unborn baby got shot and killed.

I'm kinda neutral on this also. I can see where people are coming from who oppose it. An unborn baby is still a life imo, and most people get abortions just because it is inconvenient to have the child. Have the child and get it adopted rather than kill it is my opinion.
pepe the prophet
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Aye i had a quick google for that.
Let me rpehrase my original point as I seem to have miscommunicated my point, the vast overwhelming majority of people take the more sensible opinion that abortions are not a 'good' thing, as opposed to a least bad alternative. But to judge the mood based solely on a bunch of unwashed tree huggers who take the time to demonstrate would give a horribly skewed view of the true opinion of the majority
yeah I agree this is not the prevailing mentality of pro choice activists even pepole like myselff who accept that sometimes abortion is the only choice still tend to lean in favour of pro life.
While its not a situation I have ever been in I think it would break my heart if my parter choose to abort my unborn child against my will when it wasn't necessary.
my original post where I mentioned it was merely to point out it is happening even if only with a minority of the activists and it sends a pretty chilling message to me.
OctoberRain7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The devolved assembly did actually vote in favour of same-sex marriage, it didn’t pass because of the DUP’s essential abuse of the petition of concern (essentially there was a majority but not a unionist majority). A majority of people in NI (both a unionist and nationalist majority) support the legalisation of same-sex marriage.
I would consider both same-sex marriage and abortion to be human rights issues. Both are legal in both the UK and ROI and there is no reason why NI should be any different apart from the extreme religious views of the DUP who do not represent us. People may have religious (or other) reasons to not support these policies (I could argue against these reasons but that’s not really an NI specific problem) but nobody is forcing anyone to be involved in a gay marriage or abortion. It’s a choice and NI is part of a secular country and its laws should be made on a secular basis, perhaps especially so because of our deep religious divisions.
Anyway, the NI assembly has been doing literally nothing for the last couple of years so nobody should complain that Westminster is starting to make decisions for them. Someone has to run NI after all. Even though I would like the policies to go through as I would personally like to get married, another positive outcome of this is that it could push the DUP into actually trying to get the government back (I really doubt SF would cooperate but it’s a start at least)
Alt Tankie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
It’s the new woke fad

https://shoutyourabortion.com

I’ve also seen loads of videos of US college students celebrating it as a good in andof itself.

If you take the lesser of two evils you’ll still end up in hell.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (142)
61.47%
No (89)
38.53%

Watched Threads