f.papadopoulos
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Looking for some interesting books to read in preparation for applying to study law at university. I know there's the classics ('Letters to a law student', 'What about law?' etc), but I was wondering if anyone could recommend any thought-provoking books which are related to law but perhaps a little less commonplace on personal statements, or which will lend themselves well to generating slightly less conventional thoughts regarding law/legal concepts? Recommendations regarding other mediums like podcasts/videos would be greatly welcomed too. Thanks in advance
f.papadopoulos
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'd be open to anything really, although I'm keen to learn more about tort law
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, there are not really many books in that category. There are plenty of technical texts, but you ain't gonna understand them.
MargotP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well if you’re looking more for stories that involve the law I can suggest Silent Shock (all about the thalidomide law cases in australia!)
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thoroughly enjoyed both:

-Sarah Langford's "In Your Defence"

-Secret Barrister's "Stories of the Law and How It's Broken"
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have just read the "in your defence" which was interesting in terms of describing the sad personal side of many legal cases.

I have got "the Rule of law" as well which is suggested for first years to read.

I also listen to the BBC podcast - law in Action (and marcus cleaver does one podcast a week on current supreme court decisions)
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, the books are far less ambitious than the articles the authors write. I think the only exceptions to this are some equity ones (Virgo thinks X) and the Westlaw Books practitioner texts which aim to settle debates.

But the practitioner texts are almost written as a primary source of law -- often authored by judges, so makes sense -- so there is huge deference to the cases and you sometimes find speculation/originality lacking. Plus the authors are established and less iconoclastic than we might like.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyway will defer. ****ing hate tort. Trying to refresh my knowledge and do some revision now, and can truly say I would be chuffed to bits if I never had to do any more of the boring ****.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aside from actual books, you can read verdicts for various cases. If you just google a barrister's chambers and go on a random barrister, you can usually find some of the cases they have been involved in and the details of the case, which are often very interesting.

I'm currently considering criminal law so both of those books are probably more applicable to criminal/family (in Langford's case) law. However, I have been reading into clinical negligence which has been insightful - hopefully will enjoy that module.

I've been reading Bingham's "Rule of Law" too - it's fascinating.

Will need to listen to the BBC podcast - thank you for the recommendation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (24)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (44)
11.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (46)
11.68%
Lack of purpose or motivation (52)
13.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (20)
5.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (18)
4.57%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (41)
10.41%
Financial worries (27)
6.85%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (16)
4.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (25)
6.35%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (11)
2.79%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (39)
9.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (31)
7.87%

Watched Threads