Considering studying my masters in USA but don't know where to start?.. Watch

rajanrai
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I recently have been thinking very much into studying my masters abroad. I feel like I didn't make enough valuable experiences in university and also have done very little travelling in my life so what better way to merge the both! I plan to work for the rest of the year and begin one in 2020.

Firstly, my main worry concerns if this is all worth it. At first I didn't want to do a masters (I got a 2:1 in Advertising & Marketing) but the idea of travelling, meeting new people like me, more independence, experiencing living in new environments all are so so enticing and something I really want to experience while I am still young. I just don't want to do it for the wrong reasons that's all.

Secondly, I want to choose california specifically from the things i've been told from friends who have travelled all over america alongside in my opinion it being the best state to study in for experience value. Will fees vary university to university? It all seems pretty expensive to me and I have looked at many university websites but they don't offer this information unless you contact them which I am awaiting responses from.

Thirdly, Will there be any way to get extra funding or will it be all on my behalf?

And lastly, Is there postgraduate programs in England that offer abroad study or anything like that because that may be an easier way to approach it? I've tried to look but I'm not sure that even exists..

Thanks for reading!! And I apologise for the paragraphs, just want to get as much useful information as possible!
Last edited by rajanrai; 1 week ago
applepie765
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello,
I am American attending an American undergraduate university and I am interested in applying to UK schools for my Masters. We are in the same boat! Getting a 2:1 is roughly a 3.3-3.7 in US "GPA language", this is A- range which is good when applying to Masters schools in the US. I think the only person who can really understand if you are wanting to move to America for a year or two for a Master's degree is up to you.

In the U.S., post-grad are in different categories: research, liberal arts, and community colleges. You will pick a type of school based on your interest. They all offer something different. Since you are so interested in traveling and meeting new people, I'd recommend looking at schools in major cities: Chicago, Washington, D.C., New York, Boston, Atlanta, Los Angelos. Most of these have research universities, which I think would be your best option. Larger and more willing to give aid. Those cities are probably your best bet travel wise: diverse, good schools, and good airport hubs. But, they're also the most expensive, but most schools in major cities offer housing accommodations. There are hundreds of schools to chose from other cities for all different interests.

I have friends that go to undergrad in LA, we aren't from there. No surprise, America is very big and traveling from one side to another is a huge culture shock. They love some parts and hate some others, and some will be staying in California and some plan on moving. Here are some Pros: warm weather, diverse, beautiful state/ beaches. Cons: California in general is very expensive and it is competitive employment wise. With California, unlike with schools in the Northeast, a car is the best mode of transport. LA public transportation is not very good.

There are so many options for Financial Aid in US Post-graduate schools. They come in the form of Scholarships, loans, and grants. Sometimes it depends on your GRE score (high score, high scholarship). Sometimes working a job on campus or with a professor can help acquire financial aid. Usually, your tuition is cut and you're also given a salary. This is a good option for international students because they get sponsored by their school for a work visa.

There are so many great MS universities in America that aren't name brand. In the US for MS degrees, we use this website: https://www.mastersportal.com/countr...ed-states.html. Hope it works over where you are! Good luck!
rajanrai
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Wow, firstly thank you so much for the informative response! As you may understand, it's pretty stressful and confusing looking for a suitable course for me in cali right now because I don't know about any areas or any of the schools so I'm currently just trying to contact all of the universities that I find any interest in about their courses, start dates, course duration's and fees. Fees is probably most important to me and funding is something ill now ask about too as I was unsure if I would be eligible for any as an international student. One issue may be that I can't drive so I would have to use public transport. I could live on campus but yeah, that may be difficult in Cali. How about you what are you thinking of doing for your masters?
(Original post by applepie765)
Hello,
I am American attending an American undergraduate university and I am interested in applying to UK schools for my Masters. We are in the same boat! Getting a 2:1 is roughly a 3.3-3.7 in US "GPA language", this is A- range which is good when applying to Masters schools in the US. I think the only person who can really understand if you are wanting to move to America for a year or two for a Master's degree is up to you.

In the U.S., post-grad are in different categories: research, liberal arts, and community colleges. You will pick a type of school based on your interest. They all offer something different. Since you are so interested in traveling and meeting new people, I'd recommend looking at schools in major cities: Chicago, Washington, D.C., New York, Boston, Atlanta, Los Angelos. Most of these have research universities, which I think would be your best option. Larger and more willing to give aid. Those cities are probably your best bet travel wise: diverse, good schools, and good airport hubs. But, they're also the most expensive, but most schools in major cities offer housing accommodations. There are hundreds of schools to chose from other cities for all different interests.

I have friends that go to undergrad in LA, we aren't from there. No surprise, America is very big and traveling from one side to another is a huge culture shock. They love some parts and hate some others, and some will be staying in California and some plan on moving. Here are some Pros: warm weather, diverse, beautiful state/ beaches. Cons: California in general is very expensive and it is competitive employment wise. With California, unlike with schools in the Northeast, a car is the best mode of transport. LA public transportation is not very good.

There are so many options for Financial Aid in US Post-graduate schools. They come in the form of Scholarships, loans, and grants. Sometimes it depends on your GRE score (high score, high scholarship). Sometimes working a job on campus or with a professor can help acquire financial aid. Usually, your tuition is cut and you're also given a salary. This is a good option for international students because they get sponsored by their school for a work visa.

There are so many great MS universities in America that aren't name brand. In the US for MS degrees, we use this website: https://www.mastersportal.com/countr...ed-states.html. Hope it works over where you are! Good luck!
applepie765
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know that USC and Stanford (University of Southern California in LA) has a good marketing master's program. These are all in the Business School and usually to get into a Master's Program in the US you have to take the GMAT. (For other disciplines, you would take the GRE). Here is the application timeline: summer is when you start preparing for the GRE, GMAT and looking for schools. August / September is when you'd preferably take the GRE, GMAT because if you don't get the score you like, you have time to take it again. September is when you'd register to take a GRE subject test in November if needed (some schools require it, it would be on their admissions website). You'd also reach out to teachers to write your recommendations. You'd also start working on your personal statement for admissions. October is when you'd request your OFFICIAL transcripts. November is when you'd finish your statement and take the subject test if necessary. Your GMAT / GRE scores should be sent to schools in November. December is when you application should be submitted.

Some of the best business schools are: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (I have friends that go here, proper college town. It is #2 in marketing Master's degree), University of Pennsylvania, NYU (My friends love NYU. They went for the same reasons you want to go to the US. More people, more diverse. NYC, of course, has cheap and reliable public transport and a large train station that reaches practically all of the major cities along the eastern seaboard. NYC is just very expensive, but they do give housing. All of my friend's scholarships were merit based, not need based.), University of California- Berkley and Los Angelos (My friends love Berkley), Boston College, Cornell, Loyola University in Chicago (My friend loves Chicago. It's a good sized city and not as expensive as LA or NYC and has public transport) and Georgetown University.

Which parts of California are you interested in? Most Master's programs are 30 credits which usually take 1-2 years to complete. The average cost in the US for a Master's is $40,000. In the USA, every college student is required to fill out a form about financial aid. This cannot be used by international students, so most schools have you fill out CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE, some schools will use a unique sheet. If you want to start your master's program in Fall of 2020, you'd have to apply by December 2019. Schools give funding to international kids usually in the form of scholarships based on merit. It is really up to the school. LA has a metro and a bus system(most people use the bus if they do not have a car). They are just not reliable time wise and I wouldn't use them past a certain time at night (around dark).

I'm interested in an Art History, History, or some sort of Museum related Masters degree! I'm thinking a school London or Edinburgh. The application process in the UK is so different! I still have no idea which schools are the right fit. The GPA requirements for most schools are very confusing and from what I can tell very high.
(Original post by rajanrai)
Wow, firstly thank you so much for the informative response! As you may understand, it's pretty stressful and confusing looking for a suitable course for me in cali right now because I don't know about any areas or any of the schools so I'm currently just trying to contact all of the universities that I find any interest in about their courses, start dates, course duration's and fees. Fees is probably most important to me and funding is something ill now ask about too as I was unsure if I would be eligible for any as an international student. One issue may be that I can't drive so I would have to use public transport. I could live on campus but yeah, that may be difficult in Cali. How about you what are you thinking of doing for your masters?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads