Why is Afghanistan such a mess? Watch

joe goldberg
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Why is that country such a mess? The way it was showed in Kite Runner in 70s looked like an amazing tourist spot and destination with highly liberal and secular society? Wtf happened to them now? Why is Taliban being allowed to negotiate even though they kill 100s of people each day
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Study6076
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Politics full stop.
joe goldberg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Study6076)
Politics full stop.
I need someone to give me a detailed analysis of what has and is happening in the country?
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
The British, the Ruskies and religion.
joe goldberg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
The British, the Ruskies and religion.
British has done nothing wrong there and as for Russia goes, Afghanistan would have been better under USSR than what they are now and less talk about religion the better
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm not an expert, but as far as I can remember, the US, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia actively aided the Taliban's development by funding and training 90,000 Afghans (the Mujahideen) to fight against the Soviets (who invaded in 1979). The Taliban then emerged from this group.

So interventions from other countries, and in particular its location as a battleground between East and West, hasn't exactly helped Afghanistan.

Similar-ish things happened in lots of Central and South America - the US trained and supplied radical rightwing paramilitaries (which became death squads) and regimes to try to keep out or remove the communists. This has been primarily responsible for the majority of the long civil wars in that region.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 6 days ago
joe goldberg
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
I'm not an expert, but as far as I can remember, the US, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia actively aided the Taliban's development by funding and training 90,000 Afghans (the Mujahideen) to fight against the Soviets (who invaded in 1979). The Taliban then emerged from this group.

So interventions from other countries, and in particular its location as a battleground between East and West, hasn't exactly helped Afghanistan.

Similar-ish things happened in lots of Central and South America - the US trained and supplied radical rightwing paramilitaries (which became death squads) and regimes to try to keep out or remove the communists. This has been primarily responsible for the majority of the long civil wars in that region.
Was Ahmad Massoud a Taliban?
tesconyc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
religion
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I heard it was because half of them love Eddie Murphy and the other half hate him. So when the movie Shrek came out it all came to blows and we had to step in and restore order. But then Shrek 2 came out and kaka really hit the fan.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Been going downhill since the demise of the Greater Gandhara regions in the 9th Century
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You sell thousands of assault rifles to a country and then drop thousands of bombs on it, and it's just gonna be a mess. It's unavoidable.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Sad how many british soldiers laid their lives down for places like Sangin and Now Zad when it's all just been reclaimed now by the Taliban

Moved to News and Current affairs
joe goldberg
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Sad how many british soldiers laid their lives down for places like Sangin and Now Zad when it's all just been reclaimed now by the Taliban

Moved to News and Current affairs
I was reading news where some government officials are negotiating with Taliban even though they have conducted like 3 attacks in last week
bobzzzzzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by joe goldberg)
Why is that country such a mess? The way it was showed in Kite Runner in 70s looked like an amazing tourist spot and destination with highly liberal and secular society? Wtf happened to them now? Why is Taliban being allowed to negotiate even though they kill 100s of people each day
Heyyyy so to answer ur question Afghanistan became a battle ground for United States and Russia to show whose stronger and each of them used taliban as a ....let’s say military force to fight against one another . So for 10 years Russia would provide weapons to them to kill Americans and then for another 10 years the opposite happened and in that way the taliban RUINED the country and America and Russia had no regard and now they go around talking about human rights . Now that Russia and America have widrawn taliban has taken full control of the country most of it actually and no one helps that place prosper extremely sad and I feel horrible to not have done anything till now to help so yess
verycoolperson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
really taliban wasn't funded like other groups in the afghanistan, a lot of intervention in the country caused it to be worse than it was
Last edited by verycoolperson; 6 days ago
poncho95
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Doesn't help that there are so many ethnic groups within Afghanistan, and as such no real Afghan Nationalism or binding unity. Think the Pashtuns identify more strongly with an independent Pashtunistan than Afghanistan
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Simply put because outside powers (America/Britain/USSR) kept sticking their fingers in it through coups and counter coups. Then the USSR invaded and blew it all to hell, literally, and then the US et al. funneled hundreds of millions of dollars and a shitload of weapons to various Islamic terror groups to screw the Russians.
The Russians left and the country fell into civil war on the back of the terror groups supported by America, Pakistan etc. etc. Until the Taliban (rightly or wrongly, you decide) eventually crushed the war lords and restored a form of order (albeit medieval and barbaric).
The Taliban make the mistake of their customary hospitality and let Bin Ladens crew in who then bomb the Americans. the Americans invade and quasi-toppled the Taliban. In reality the Taliban simply melted back into society and gave the Americans a good hiding (like the Vietcong). And here we are today. Any questions?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by bobzzzzzz)
Heyyyy so to answer ur question Afghanistan became a battle ground for United States and Russia to show whose stronger and each of them used taliban as a ....let’s say military force to fight against one another . So for 10 years Russia would provide weapons to them to kill Americans and then for another 10 years the opposite happened and in that way the taliban RUINED the country and America and Russia had no regard and now they go around talking about human rights . Now that Russia and America have widrawn taliban has taken full control of the country most of it actually and no one helps that place prosper extremely sad and I feel horrible to not have done anything till now to help so yess
A few questions;
1) Do you have a source for your assertion that Russia has been arming the Taliban for decades?
2) Russia hasnt been in Afghanistan for nearly 30years so im not sure why youre lumping it in with America (nevermind during the Soviet occupation the force mainly consisted of central asians etc.)
3) Isnt it somewhat myopic to say the taliban 'ruined' the country? Not to mention heinously ignorant of Afghan history.
4) Since when do the Taliban have 'full control' of Afghanistan...?
looloo2134
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It has always been at war and the Kite Runner shows is how the rich live 1970s not average person in Afghanistan. I have friends when their in 70s they hated it in one photo their a group of rich women walking past a man and child in rags the women mocked the man. They when to another part their were children on drugs begging in the streets which rich people walking past rich men would take homeless teenage boys home with them.
joe goldberg
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Afghanistan under monarchy and communism was much better than the hellhole it is right now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads