rohausman11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Are the OCR textbooks worth it for Biology and Chemistry A level? I am starting sixth form in September and some insight would be helpful.
cath_slater
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
100% worth it
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes. I did both subjects, and bought textbooks. You can buy used textbooks on eBay, as they can be quite expensive. In fact, I'm selling mine, have a look at a previous post I had written consisting of prices.
(Original post by rohausman11)
Are the OCR textbooks worth it for Biology and Chemistry A level? I am starting sixth form in September and some insight would be helpful.
Last edited by MKaur18; 8 months ago
Jess_ter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Maybe not. If you have good teachers and that will cover everything, in my opinion, the OCR textbooks really aren't helpful. I can only talk for chemistry as I don't do OCR biology but the textbook actually has quite a lot of wrong information and you couldn't do well in the exams with the textbooks alone as they don't include absolutely everything you need to know. They do have summary questions at the end of each chapter and sub-chapter that are useful for testing your knowledge though.

To conclude: if you can borrow them in your school's library I wouldn't buy them unless you have to
(Original post by rohausman11)
FutureMissMRCS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I used the OCR pearson textbook for biology (the purple ones) and I found it really useful,but don't bother with the Oxford biology textbook it goes into too much detail and don't focus on the main points well.I had the OCR A chemistry Oxford textbook (black/yellow) and I never used it in the 2 years that I had it and only used online resources.
Last edited by FutureMissMRCS; 8 months ago
p_helena
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Jess_ter)
Maybe not. If you have good teachers and that will cover everything, in my opinion, the OCR textbooks really aren't helpful. I can only talk for chemistry as I don't do OCR biology but the textbook actually has quite a lot of wrong information and you couldn't do well in the exams with the textbooks alone as they don't include absolutely everything you need to know. They do have summary questions at the end of each chapter and sub-chapter that are useful for testing your knowledge though.

To conclude: if you can borrow them in your school's library I wouldn't buy them unless you have to
I found the OCR textbook for Chemistry really helpful... for MOST things.

However, there's a bit on the A2 syllabus (I think its about the Arrhenius equation) that sticks in my mind as being wrong- it was a bit on finding the preexponential factor A from lnA.
It also doesnt mention cracking or organic feedstock- both are simple aspects but not included in the textbook which annoyed me because it was supposed to be all-inclusive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (121)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my education (125)
16.19%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.33%
Isolating with family (51)
6.61%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.89%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.55%
Loneliness (82)
10.62%
Financial worries (32)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.48%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (73)
9.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed