i have really bad trichotillomania Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
i really want to stop pulling my hair out i went to doctors and he laughed at me this really knocked my confidence to ask anyone for help in person idk wut to do now ive tried multiple methods nothing works
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
laurawatt
RicardoBR101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This doctor is a turd. I also had trichotillomania, I kept pulling the hairs off my left mustache and my beard, until I stopped it on my own (each case is a case). Dude, since this is a joint venture, go to a dermatologist (in other, of course), and only he/she can give you the right medications (if it's severe or very serious).
Last edited by RicardoBR101; 1 week ago
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi OP, I’m really sorry that the doctor reacted in this way - completely unprofessional
What methods have you tried so far? I also suffer with trich and these are some things that helped me: (I tend to find that distraction techniques help me the most)
> carry a pen and paper at all times to doodle on/write down thoughts
> have a stress ball/hair band/blu tack to play with
> focus on breathing or name 5 things you can see in the room if you get urges
> do e.g. the 11 times table in your head - see how far you can get!
> tie hair up if it’s long enough
> start keeping a tally count of each hair you pull out, it makes you a lot more aware and conscious about the fact that you do pull out hairs

I hope some of these helped, but don’t be afraid to reply or pm me if you want more advice! :hugs:
(Original post by CoolCavy)
laurawatt
Thanks Cavy
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
how do i see a dermatologist r u from UK?
(Original post by RicardoBR101)
This doctor is a turd. I also had trichotillomania, I kept pulling the hairs off my left mustache and my beard, until I stopped it on my own (each case is a case). Dude, since this is a joint venture, go to a dermatologist (in other, of course), and only he/she can give you the right medications (if it's severe or very serious).
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
thanks i tried all these in the beginning but none worked thankfully i have extremely thick hair so its hard to see, ik underlying cause but can't do anything about it because of the situation i'm in i have been doing it for 8 years now
(Original post by laurawatt)
Hi OP, I’m really sorry that the doctor reacted in this way - completely unprofessional
What methods have you tried so far? I also suffer with trich and these are some things that helped me: (I tend to find that distraction techniques help me the most)
> carry a pen and paper at all times to doodle on/write down thoughts
> have a stress ball/hair band/blu tack to play with
> focus on breathing or name 5 things you can see in the room if you get urges
> do e.g. the 11 times table in your head - see how far you can get!
> tie hair up if it’s long enough
> start keeping a tally count of each hair you pull out, it makes you a lot more aware and conscious about the fact that you do pull out hairs

I hope some of these helped, but don’t be afraid to reply or pm me if you want more advice! :hugs:

Thanks Cavy
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
thanks i tried all these in the beginning but none worked thankfully i have extremely thick hair so its hard to see, ik underlying cause but can't do anything about it because of the situation i'm in i have been doing it for 8 years now
That's not great But at least you know the cause (wish I did lol). Could you try setting a daily goal? (depending on the activities of the day you could say no more that e.g. 3 hairs and try your best to adhere to it - I find taking it slower like that is a to easier than trying to pull out no hairs straight away
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Have you asked to see another doctor? Sometimes you really have to fight your corner. Keep going until someone listens because this is distressing for you and you’re important.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
it knocked a lot of confidence so i don't really want to do that right now, but i think im gonna get a bald to stop myself which i have done in the past, but if i dont stop this time after a few months of being bald hair will start to grow again in the patches i also read recently that its's actually a form of self harm which was a big shock
(Original post by YaliaV)
Have you asked to see another doctor? Sometimes you really have to fight your corner. Keep going until someone listens because this is distressing for you and you’re important.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
that dont work either but im going to get a bald so i can sort of regrow my hair but i haven't found a permanent solution yet and am desperate to find one
That's not great But at least you know the cause (wish I did lol). Could you try setting a daily goal? (depending on the activities of the day you could say no more that e.g. 3 hairs and try your best to adhere to it - I find taking it slower like that is a to easier than trying to pull out no hairs straight away
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
that dont work either but im going to get a bald so i can sort of regrow my hair but i haven't found a permanent solution yet and am desperate to find one
I'm really sorry, but there is not permanent solution - some people grow out of it, some people 'forget' about it when they become too pre-occupied with something else. I'd suggest, when you feel ready, to go to a different doctor and explain the situation. They may prescribe some medicine, or suggest CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy)
Sorry that i couldn't help more with this post, i've not especially researched into any solutions
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
i did not know there was no permanent solution, i did in fact try another doctor i went for another reason but mentioned ripping out my hair and she shrugged it off so im done with professional help. its OK that you couldn't do more at least you replied and tried to help me somewhat which i fully appreciate
I'm really sorry, but there is not permanent solution - some people grow out of it, some people 'forget' about it when they become too pre-occupied with something else. I'd suggest, when you feel ready, to go to a different doctor and explain the situation. They may prescribe some medicine, or suggest CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy)
Sorry that i couldn't help more with this post, i've not especially researched into any solutions
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
i did not know there was no permanent solution, i did in fact try another doctor i went for another reason but mentioned ripping out my hair and she shrugged it off so im done with professional help. its OK that you couldn't do more at least you replied and tried to help me somewhat which i fully appreciate
You mentioned in a previous post that you found out that is a form/substitute of self harm - so, like this, you could either decided to stop, or get therapy or other help - it is much the same for trich I’m afraid
Anonymous #1
in that post i said i went again for help but she shrugged it off so i have given up with professional help,i literally can not stop myself it frustrates me sooo much. but no matter what i will continue to attempt to stop
You mentioned in a previous post that you found out that is a form/substitute of self harm - so, like this, you could either decided to stop, or get therapy or other help - it is much the same for trich I’m afraid
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
in that post i said i went again for help but she shrugged it off so i have given up with professional help,i literally can not stop myself it frustrates me sooo much. but no matter what i will continue to attempt to stop
I’m sorry to hear that yet again the doctors are not providing any help but you have a good mindset - to not give up trying to stop :yes:
I very sorry that I couldn’t help more, but I’m wishing you the best :hugs:
Anonymous #1
its ok you tried ur best to help which i appreciate
I’m sorry to hear that yet again the doctors are not providing any help but you have a good mindset - to not give up trying to stop :yes:
I very sorry that I couldn’t help more, but I’m wishing you the best :hugs:
RicardoBR101
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
how do i see a dermatologist r u from UK?
Damn dude, I have no idea. I'm from Rio (Brazil). The only thing that I do is consult the medical guide on my healthcare plane site. I'm so sorry if I can't help more than that.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
oh i see its much different here, though i appreciate that u tried to help
(Original post by RicardoBR101)
Damn dude, I have no idea. I'm from Rio (Brazil). The only thing that I do is consult the medical guide on my healthcare plane site. I'm so sorry if I can't help more than that.
RicardoBR101
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Thanks dude, we together brow.
oh eu vejo o seu muito diferente aqui, embora eu aprecio que você tentou ajudar
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (402)
57.02%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (101)
14.33%

Watched Threads