Planning on spending a year abroad in Japan Watch

PorkBunFun
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
For my year abroad placement I am planning on spending my year abroad in Japan focusing mainly on study at one of its universities. I am planning on taking International Development and Japanese as a language. Is there any source of information or advice I can obtain for someone in my situation. Like are there any do's or dont's that they don't teach you in school outside of the basics regarding respect and some day to day aspects?

Any and all help is welcome and greatly appreciated
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
As a Japanese who also went on exchange, I can give you some insights into universities here. Generally speaking, academic lectures in English at Japanese universities are literally jokes, and this applies even to the top tier universities (ICU and Sophia might be exceptions tho). No intention of bragging, but I graduated from one of the top 3 schools in Japan, and took some Econ courses in English. Assignments were easy, starting reviewing 1 week before midterms and finals is enough to get "A"s since there is so-called "kakomon". Many profs just want to focus on their research and are too lazy to make a new exam, so they just make one 80% based on the previous year's exam. If your Japanese proficiency is good enough and you're willing to take academic lectures in Japanese, which are also easy as most students don't study to be honest, but this would be good opportunities for you to learn academic Japanese. However, I've seen some exchange students take those and struggle while the others who only took language courses were so relaxed and had fun times. That being said, think through your purpose of studying in Japan whether you just want to learn the language itself or study academic stuff in Japanese.

(Original post by PorkBunFun)
For my year abroad placement I am planning on spending my year abroad in Japan focusing mainly on study at one of its universities. I am planning on taking International Development and Japanese as a language. Is there any source of information or advice I can obtain for someone in my situation. Like are there any do's or dont's that they don't teach you in school outside of the basics regarding respect and some day to day aspects?

Any and all help is welcome and greatly appreciated
PorkBunFun
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As a Japanese who also went on exchange, I can give you some insights into universities here. Generally speaking, academic lectures in English at Japanese universities are literally jokes, and this applies even to the top tier universities (ICU and Sophia might be exceptions tho). No intention of bragging, but I graduated from one of the top 3 schools in Japan, and took some Econ courses in English. Assignments were easy, starting reviewing 1 week before midterms and finals is enough to get "A"s since there is so-called "kakomon". Many profs just want to focus on their research and are too lazy to make a new exam, so they just make one 80% based on the previous year's exam. If your Japanese proficiency is good enough and you're willing to take academic lectures in Japanese, which are also easy as most students don't study to be honest, but this would be good opportunities for you to learn academic Japanese. However, I've seen some exchange students take those and struggle while the others who only took language courses were so relaxed and had fun times. That being said, think through your purpose of studying in Japan whether you just want to learn the language itself or study academic stuff in Japanese.
Thanks very much, I'll keep that in mind!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads