Appealing a 2.2 degree. IS MY CASE GOING TO BE HEARD? Watch

BULDOP
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey people, i had received my results from the university of Manchester and i ended up with a 58.5%, This was due to a mitigating circumstance of my cousin dying 3 weeks before my exam..

I had filled for a mitigation but failed to provide evidence to support my claim. Due to my lack of evidence my mitigation was not supported, i felt in-compassionate asking for an order of service as they just lost their child and my parents found it hard to support me with evidence.

When my results where released i was in shock as i did not make the requirements for a 2.1 and therefore. met up with my cousins parents for them to help with an order of service as evidence and also provided my email correspondence, with my tutor saying i was stressed out.

I also provided a doctors note to support my claim for a Bereavement Reaction, as i was very isolated as this was the first time i had experienced death to a close family member

I have since pleaded with them that i need to be considered for a 2.1 for my masters and due to the life changing times i was going through.

Do you think i will get it?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BULDOP)
Hey people, i had received my results from the university of Manchester and i ended up with a 58.5%, This was due to a mitigating circumstance of my cousin dying 3 weeks before my exam..

I had filled for a mitigation but failed to provide evidence to support my claim. Due to my lack of evidence my mitigation was not supported, i felt in-compassionate asking for an order of service as they just lost their child and my parents found it hard to support me with evidence.

When my results where released i was in shock as i did not make the requirements for a 2.1 and therefore. met up with my cousins parents for them to help with an order of service as evidence and also provided my email correspondence, with my tutor saying i was stressed out.

I also provided a doctors note to support my claim for a Bereavement Reaction, as i was very isolated as this was the first time i had experienced death to a close family member

I have since pleaded with them that i need to be considered for a 2.1 for my masters and due to the life changing times i was going through.

You really need to look at the appeal rules concerning mitigating circumstances. Registry, the department or student advisors can help you with that or read the rules yourself.

If you dont know the rules then you are more likely to fail.

The rules would almost certainly have said that if you applied with no supporting evidence you were going to fail. Think you were mad not to get such evidence.

I am sceptical even with the evidence you would have succeeded. A cousin is not considered a close family member in most cases, that is reserved for siblings and parents. If you were going to use an order of service rather than death certificate then why didnt you use your own copy or did you not go? Why couldnt you have gotten one from the other relatives?

Not convinced pleading will do much good.
How are your degrees graded/ weighted and what did you score in second and third year?
The other thing is that uni is not like A levels and their special consideration procedure which can give you a mark uplift. i.e I dont think they would just change it to a 2:1.
Unis usually provide the opportunity to resit is about the best you could hope for.
ParagonProxy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Hello BULDOP,

I would like to first offer you my sincere condolences for losing your cousin and I hope you are doing better now.

In relation to your question, I am sceptical as to why you should be awarded a 2.1 due to this. There is no reason why they would increase grades based on deaths due to family members no matter how close or far to you. Grades are measures of academic performance and yours is measured as a 58.5 (2:2).

Optimistically, I would hope they give you a chance to resit your examinations in hopes of obtaining a higher grade. But ultimately they can not award degrees to people for grades they did not actually receive.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Paragon
BULDOP
Rep:
?
I am currently in the classification review boundary level which is 58- 59%, if my mitigation is accepted due the fact i could not obtain evidence to support my claim as it was sensitive material. I have a doctors note aswell because i consulted a doctor before. I can potentially be given the 2.1 grade.
BULDOP
Rep:
?
I scored a 64% in my second year and a 53% in my third year
(Original post by 999tigger)
You really need to look at the appeal rules concerning mitigating circumstances. Registry, the department or student advisors can help you with that or read the rules yourself.

If you dont know the rules then you are more likely to fail.

The rules would almost certainly have said that if you applied with no supporting evidence you were going to fail. Think you were mad not to get such evidence.

I am sceptical even with the evidence you would have succeeded. A cousin is not considered a close family member in most cases, that is reserved for siblings and parents. If you were going to use an order of service rather than death certificate then why didnt you use your own copy or did you not go? Why couldnt you have gotten one from the other relatives?

Not convinced pleading will do much good.
How are your degrees graded/ weighted and what did you score in second and third year?
The other thing is that uni is not like A levels and their special consideration procedure which can give you a mark uplift. i.e I dont think they would just change it to a 2:1.
Unis usually provide the opportunity to resit is about the best you could hope for.
BULDOP
Rep:
?
I received a doctors note stating that my final examinations would have been affected adversely cause of this death, also theres email correspondence of me telling my tutor about the stress i was involved in at the time
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
I received a doctors note stating that my final examinations would have been affected adversely cause of this death, also theres email correspondence of me telling my tutor about the stress i was involved in at the time
That was submitted at the time or what you hope to submit now?
What did you ask for at your original hearing?
BULDOP
Rep:
?
I submitted that for my appeal, as the doctor diagnosed me with a Bereavement reaction following the death and ruled that i was unable to perform optimally in my final examinations.
That was submitted at the time or what you hope to submit now?
What did you ask for at your original hearing?
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
I submitted that for my appeal, as the doctor diagnosed me with a Bereavement reaction following the death and ruled that i was unable to perform optimally in my final examinations.
So insufficient evidence was because you didnt prove your cousin died?
You would need to look carefully at their rules for ext circs and the exact wording of what they had to consider.
They could have just been unconvinced about the impact of the death of a cousin compared to that of immediate family i.e parent and sibling.It doesnt work the same way as sc in A levels.
BULDOP
Rep:
?
Yes, because i was unable to provide evidence. They said in the handbook that if an appeal is rejected due to lack of evidence and the student is able to provide new evidence with a compelling reason as to why the evidence was not provided at first
So insufficient evidence was because you didnt prove your cousin died?
You would need to look carefully at their rules for ext circs and the exact wording of what they had to consider.
They could have just been unconvinced about the impact of the death of a cousin compared to that of immediate family i.e parent and sibling.It doesnt work the same way as sc in A levels.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
Yes, because i was unable to provide evidence. They said in the handbook that if an appeal is rejected due to lack of evidence and the student is able to provide new evidence with a compelling reason as to why the evidence was not provided at first
You should talk to them and get some feedback as to what evidence wasnt provided.
My impression was you provided a doctors note in the first try, but no evidence this person had actually died?
If that was the case then a death certificate, GPs report, police report, nurses report might all be more helpful than just an order of service, which isnt an official document.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should talk to them and get some feedback as to what evidence wasnt provided.
My impression was you provided a doctors note in the first try, but no evidence this person had actually died?
If that was the case then a death certificate, GPs report, police report, nurses report might all be more helpful than just an order of service, which isnt an official document.
Yes, we wouldn't accept an order of service because as awful as this sounds, anybody can knock one together on Photoshop. We usually require a copy of a death cert. Sounds brutal, I know.
MillennialX
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I hope you are not one of those piggybackers who constantly go and select the best groups in group assessments to get easy marks on presentations for doing bare minimum or nothing at all. Because if you are then you make me SICK!
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Yes, we wouldn't accept an order of service because as awful as this sounds, anybody can knock one together on Photoshop. We usually require a copy of a death cert. Sounds brutal, I know.
I wouldnt have used one, supplemental maybe as it indicates a timeframe, but death cert or hospital report etc.
Something not quite right here as I try and get to the bottom of it, but I would need to know what evidence was submitted (see it) what you have to prove to uni and if the refusal was based on merely not proving this person had died.

Had I been faced with the exam I might have informed them I was unable to sit and see ext circs so first sit was in July or the following year. Unis are more sympathetic to siblings and parents dying. Cousins and grandparents is less convincing unless you made a great case for it. I dont think unis compensate % as in A level so I would be seeking first sit at a later date either in the summer or following year.

Hard to advise on these things without interviewing and seeing documents.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wouldnt have used one, supplemental maybe as it indicates a timeframe, but death cert or hospital report etc.
Something not quite right here as I try and get to the bottom of it, but I would need to know what evidence was submitted (see it) what you have to prove to uni and if the refusal was based on merely not proving this person had died.

Had I been faced with the exam I might have informed them I was unable to sit and see ext circs so first sit was in July or the following year. Unis are more sympathetic to siblings and parents dying. Cousins and grandparents is less convincing unless you made a great case for it. I dont think unis compensate % as in A level so I would be seeking first sit at a later date either in the summer or following year.

Hard to advise on these things without interviewing and seeing documents.
Yeah it is. I don't think we would usually compensate percentage-wise but the resit would not be capped at 40% as is usual, for example.

I had 2 grandparents die within 9 months of each other during my PhD, and I was a carer for one of them. Powers that be did not care one jot, though my supervisor was great and covered my arse for a few weeks. The attitude of universities as institutions is a bit flippant in this regard I think (I understand the theory behind why, I just think it could be instantiated a little better in a lot of cases).
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Yeah it is. I don't think we would usually compensate percentage-wise but the resit would not be capped at 40% as is usual, for example.

I had 2 grandparents die within 9 months of each other during my PhD, and I was a carer for one of them. Powers that be did not care one jot, though my supervisor was great and covered my arse for a few weeks. The attitude of universities as institutions is a bit flippant in this regard I think (I understand the theory behind why, I just think it could be instantiated a little better in a lot of cases).
I think if you are a bit older then you are meant to be able to take non direct family losses. This is why I found the OPs description less convincing because I dont expect them to see it like that plus id think Manchester are tight arses. If you dont turn up for exams, warn them plus get a doctors note then not a lot they can do. If you give them low scores then that makes it easy for them to just graduate you. The OP is after a 2:1 from 58.5%. I cnat see them giving it him as Manc has credibility. Some other unis might consider it if they accepted his claim.
BULDOP
Rep:
?
I think my chances of getting it are high, i have provided sufficient evidence and i did follow the schools procedure of filling a mitigation after my exams, meaning i followed procedure, just that i did not provide evidence.

I have a doctors note supporting my claim and stating that i have been affected by the death and my performance has been affected by it too, also i spoke to the student support team and i have been told to stay hopeful as i do have a strong case
BULDOP
Rep:
?
I have evidence of email correspondence and my doctor stated that i did consult him at the time i submitted a mitigation and i was very emotional.

THOUGHTS PEOPLE?
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I have evidence of email correspondence and my doctor stated that i did consult him at the time i submitted a mitigation and i was very emotional.

THOUGHTS PEOPLE?
Doesn't matter what we think. Just submit the evidence and see what your uni says. I'd be surprised if they just bumped you up to a 2:1 but we'll see.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report 6 days ago
Submitted all the evidence already. Miracles happen, I'll keep you updated on the outcome
(Original post by Student-95)
Doesn't matter what we think. Just submit the evidence and see what your uni says. I'd be surprised if they just bumped you up to a 2:1 but we'll see.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.86%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.84%

Watched Threads