University of Toronto or University of Bath? Watch

courtney2345
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello,

I am currently deciding between UofT and Bath. I really like both universities for different reasons. For instance, UofT is right in the center of Toronto (and I really like the city), it offers many opportunities regarding work experience and extracurriculars and it is a world renowned institution. On the other hand, I love the friendly nature of Bath and, of course, the campus and the city is beautiful; I also like how it offers smaller class sizes and it just feels more intimate. I also have a lot of friends studying in the UK which definitely makes it an easier process to adjust.

In terms of academics, I'm interested in studying IR; UofT's IR program is much more flexible and broad - I am in control of the courses I take, etc. However, I'm still really attracted to how Bath is much smaller and classes will feel more intimate. Bath also offers a placement program to work; this sounds really fascinating, but UofT offers a similar opportunity in the summer and throughout the year.

Anyway, I know that this is a very personal decision, but as you can tell, I'm pretty torn. I know UofT ranks above Bath in all the ranking systems I saw, but the few things that I am really fixated on are: 1. An enjoyable university experience (nice people, interesting classes), 2. Go to a university that opens as many doors for me as possible.

Thank you so much!
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by courtney2345)
Hello,

I am currently deciding between UofT and Bath. I really like both universities for different reasons. For instance, UofT is right in the center of Toronto (and I really like the city), it offers many opportunities regarding work experience and extracurriculars and it is a world renowned institution. On the other hand, I love the friendly nature of Bath and, of course, the campus and the city is beautiful; I also like how it offers smaller class sizes and it just feels more intimate. I also have a lot of friends studying in the UK which definitely makes it an easier process to adjust.

In terms of academics, I'm interested in studying IR; UofT's IR program is much more flexible and broad - I am in control of the courses I take, etc. However, I'm still really attracted to how Bath is much smaller and classes will feel more intimate. Bath also offers a placement program to work; this sounds really fascinating, but UofT offers a similar opportunity in the summer and throughout the year.

Anyway, I know that this is a very personal decision, but as you can tell, I'm pretty torn. I know UofT ranks above Bath in all the ranking systems I saw, but the few things that I am really fixated on are: 1. An enjoyable university experience (nice people, interesting classes), 2. Go to a university that opens as many doors for me as possible.

Thank you so much!
Hi Courtney2345, :five:

It seems like you have a difficult decision to make between the universities. By the sounds of it you have done your research on the two. I would maybe try and speak to some of the students both past and present at each place. If you look for their individual Applicant Threads hopefully you will find some their and hopefully ones who studied the course you are interested in.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Tom
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by courtney2345)
Hello,

Thank you so much!
Hi!

Although you don't always get as much choice in what you are studying at Bath, it is quite a small uni and so you would have relatively small class sizes.

My flatmate studies IR and Economics and she's really enjoying it. She has just started her placement with Disney. The placement system is what really helps Bath students stand out from other university students, as the majority of students take it (which means you won't be leaving all your friends behind in 2nd year!) and the university has great industry links.

Although globally Bath doesn't rank so highly, it is consistently ranked as a top 10 university in the UK - partly for its industry links. The main reason Bath doesn't rank so highly globally is that it is a relatively new university (just after 50 years old) and so isn't known as well globally and doesn't have as much 'international outlook'. You might be interested to know that although King's College is consistently ranked highly globally, nationally, it was ranked 25th (whilst Bath was ranked 9th.)

If you have any other questions please let me know, and if you want to find out more about Bath check out our forum!

Katie, 2nd year Modern Languages student
Last edited by University of Bath; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.1%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.67%
It might lead to more bullying (72)
36.36%
There's nothing they could do (59)
29.8%

Watched Threads