Tell be about a hobby you particularly enjoy Watch

Divine Feminine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aside from the obvious ones like s*x and getting jiggy, I do enjoy myself some reading, especially classical literature, poetry, new age spiritual stuff and the like. I also love going for walks out in nature and the little village where I grew up is just perfect for that.
desou
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I enjoy astronomy - Jupiter and Saturn are amazing at the moment. I also quite like gardening as well nowadays, mostly trees, herbs and vegetables.

I think psychologically they're quite similar. They're about doing something, creating something or experiencing something for yourself that you might otherwise just buy from a shop or see in a book.
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I used to be a bit of a hoarding collector and have various unorganized collections including stamps, postcards (Postcrossing), trading cards, and autographs through the mail. My stamp collection is the most chaotic of them all and is scattered across various boxes. I'll get around to organizing it at some point just so I can sell the rest and free up some much-needed space. There're millions.

Today, my cats take up most of my "hobby time" as I have a family with complex needs: an obese Siamese who is slowly dieting, a diabetic ginger, a geriatric ginger who is in good shape, a newly-added FIV+ Norwegian forest cat, and a young guy who is starting to move in. Those who have already crossed over include a lymphoma case, antifreeze poisoned (ARF), chronic renal failure, congestive heart failure, and a nasal adenocarcinoma guy who was pushing 20. All of my cats are street rescues, abandonment cases, and runaways. I've never bought from a breeder and never will so long as local cat populations remain as out of control as they are. I guess animal husbandry, communication, and whatnot are all hobbies as well.

When I get a moment to myself and I'm not squandering it away, I'm usually in a gym or on a walk somewhere. 10-12 mile routes aren't unusual as workout routes for me when I walk between towns and cities. Crossing farmland along clearly designated walking routes is also quite pleasant.

One thing I've been meaning to do is pass an amateur radio course for broadcasting on HAM radio as a geeky and prepper interest of mine.
Last edited by sknudson; 1 week ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tootles)
I'm bored and have to fill my time with something :lol: I do Greek mostly at the moment, but I'm quite competant in Latin and French, some German, and I can understand some Spanish. I've dabbled in Hebrew but haven't given it the attention I should have done. When I wrote my first novel I studied the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European language so I could accurately write some dialogue between people who hadn't evolved in ~20ky. Had a go at conlanging (making up my own lanaguage, because it's something fantasy writers apparently do) once, but after spending about six hours trying to work out the basic phonology realized it was a huge job that I couldn't give as much time to as it needed. One day :moon:

Thank you :cute: I hope she will.

Gardening is actually very easy. If it belongs there, leave it; if it doesn't, take it away. Make sure the soil's moist ( ) and there's nothing blocking the sunlight. I'm growing tobacco at the moment, and it grows like a fricken weed. Dittany and wormwood also grow wonderfully, even in the shoddy weather we get up north.

How are you with overdubbing (recordings)? Folk rock is always good, and if you wrote some of your own material you could put some stuff up on BandCamp or something?
My recording skills are.. basic, to say the least! I had a bit of a head of steam with it maybe 4 or 5 years ago but then I sort of lost interest when work took over and all the momentum was lost. Silly of me, looking back!
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks
Yes 😊
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Lots of lovely hobbies there. Do you act in your local drama club? Lots of fun to be had there. My boys used to act and sing in village pantos. I can remember once my elder son was in panto and some fifty something women in the seats in front were leering at him. I turned round and said (mock offended) "oi, that's my son!". They shut up straight away.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Reading - non fiction and fiction
Gym - lifting weights mainly atm. I want to get more into bodyweight stuff and stretching soon.
Getting into drawing also trying to learn the fundamentals atm.
Video games

In my 2nd year of uni I am hoping to take up acting and a martial art
Tootles
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
You sound very intelligent.
Not particularly :lol: I just get bored easily and have to keep busy.

(Original post by gjd800)
My recording skills are.. basic, to say the least! I had a bit of a head of steam with it maybe 4 or 5 years ago but then I sort of lost interest when work took over and all the momentum was lost. Silly of me, looking back!
I know the feeling. Maybe 6 years ago I was working on something of a rock concept, similar conceptually to The Wall but a slightly different angle. I wrote most of it and recorded about 3/4 of it, but then lost steam. I got pretty good at overdubbing, it's not as hard as you'd think.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Baking is my number one hobby. Just yesterday, I made a cheesecake using my own recipe. Needs to be tweaked slightly I think, but I'm so pleased that I feel confident enough to try my own creations instead of following recipes like I have done for the past 8 years. I know what kind of style I like in terms of making my bakes look nice, and I know the kind of things I'm good at baking. Ultimately I want to have my own bakery. That's the dream!
Bill Nye
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm really bad at it, but I'd say cubing is one of my hobbies. My 3x3 PB is around 18 secs, but I average around 30 lmaoo
Ligretto Cowboy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Three things I’d put here.
Painting/ Drawing - As a kid, I learned how to draw sketches of people and stuffs around me, my particular focus being the buildings. I also like to memorise the landscapes as I travel with my mum and draw them down as close as I can remember when I get back home. Caricatures are my favorite part of drawing as well, and that somehow made me a cool kid in my class lol. Now I’m painting portraits in my free time.
Memorising stuffs - I’m more of a Maths person but I like memorising Oscar nominees and winners throughout the history (don’t ask me why) as well as the list presidents of the US, the flags and countries etc.
Calculating days from dates -One of my eccentric habits I love this one especially when my friends tell me their birthdays. I also like deducing the days in Julian Calander knowing the dates. There are a lot of formulae to do this, and it’s something I can do even during casual conversations (when someone says a date of course), as if I’m playing this game all the time.
batter mix
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lady Jamie)
Dance (various styles) was a big part of my life prior to uni, probably more so than A levels. I remember desperately wanting to become a cheerleader for this famous basketball team coz because that's what my lyrical teacher did and she made it sound incredible. It's stupid in retrospective, especially when compared to the field I'm now hoping to enter.

Also loved tennis but we had competitions every Saturday morning which was a real pain. Ngl, I think I was slightly more interested in the coaches, skirts and our team uniforms. Painting and chess (??) are my 2 current ones because I'm finally embracing my artistic nerdy self Uni is changing me...

Jealous of your son tho, can't sing to save my life (doesn't stop me from trying ).
Omg so many of these match mine!

Dancing was my life before uni. It was all I did when I had time! Like hours and hours and hours. I still dance but it's nothing compared to what it was before. I was the head cheerleader at school (we didn't have captains :sad:)

And painting is something I immensely enjoy! Hope to open a gallery someday

And I really wish I were great at singing. I can just follow along to my guitar :sigh:
batter mix
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There is no one hobby I consistently enjoy. It all depends on my mood.

Recently I am loving hiking darn good fun. Sucks that cities don't have much to offer.

Also driving! I am doing a lot of driving nowadays. I forgot how much I used to love it when I was learning
CHANELDIAMONDS
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
who’s be?

i particularly enjoy the hobby of being a ****
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Birdwatching. Can identify most birds in Britain, used to be any but am a bit rusty atm
PureHeroine
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lady Jamie)
I remember desperately wanting to become a cheerleader for this famous basketball team
(Original post by batter mix)
I was the head cheerleader at school
cheerleading???? are you both american? if so ignore me. if not this country has cheerleading? since when?
batter mix
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PureHeroine)
cheerleading???? are you both american? if so ignore me. if not this country has cheerleading? since when?
haha :nah: Boring ol' brit (at least on the paper :sogood:)

I did my high school in the states
math42
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Bold of you to assume that I do or enjoy anything.
honeykates
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
studying and learning more about bees!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Volunteering: Was a student ambassador for The Access Project for just over a year and basically helped my University Access Officer with small things and occasionally got invited to the Head Office to help give interviews etc. Also been a Study Forum Helper on here for 2 years and I absolutely love what I do in my own personal capacity. Had meet a lot of lovely people in my time here.

MHoC: This is rather erratic since I've been involved with this game on and off due to personal issues. Currently a member of TSR Liberal Democrats.

I can't be arsed to list all as this will take me forever lol
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
plastic model making, but since it's quite expensive, I've only been able to do like one or two per year.

Fortnite, makes me happy
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads