Counter Terrorism Check Clearance - Chances of being cleared?? Watch

David.March
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone, as per the title of the thread, I'm currently completing a CTC Check form for a job with the Home Office.

It's and administrative job with regards to Asylum Decision making.

Very quick background:

35 Year old with an attempted fraud conviction in 2010. (mixed with the wrong crowds, which taught me some serious life lessons). Received 120 Community Service.

The same year, I was also caught doing 50 in a 30 zone, which went to court as it was my 2nd endorsement in having my licence for under 2 years.

Safe to say that 2010 wasn't a very good year for me.

However, we all make mistakes, some more serious than others. However, I have never been in trouble with the Police ever since, not for anything else whatsoever.

Currently work for a bank and have been for the last 6 years, so my life is definetely on the up and positive side, and although I won't let the attempted fraud conviction define me as a person, the past can still haunt you in ways.

As such, these x2 convictions are the only things I have on record. No cautions, no arrests, nothing else...

There's no question of me disclosing these on the CTC form obviously, however what are the chances of even getting cleared, given the conviction types and how long ago these happened?

Also, when the form asks to provide details of my convictions (type and dates) how much infotmation is too much?

What I certainly don't want to do is ruin my chances completely of making these sound worse than they are by writing war and peace.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate any responses.
Last edited by David.March; 1 week ago
David.March
Rep:
?
Anyone?
Vexper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Based on the CTC questionnaire here if that's what you're going through?;

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...onnaire-nsv001

The relevant department of agency will decide if a criminal conviction affects your security clearence. Although it may be taken into account, this information will not necessarily prevent you from being awarded a security clearence.
You won't really find an accurate answer here, they'll decide based on the given circumstances and requirements of the role.

In the crim conv section it appears you don't need to include parking and speeding convicitions as they're excluded, but you would need to include other motoring offences. So your speeding wouldn't go against you I wouldn't have thought. Fraud is quite a biggy though. Honesty is definitely best policy, give full details. They're not stupid, they'd recognise you're being vague if you try and downplay it. Fraud isn't something any employer will overlook without extreme scrunity. If you're a decision maker then you're gonna have access to a lot of identification documentation. Identity fraud/theft is one of the biggest fraud incidents that occur. Although, if you have been working for a BANK for the last 6 years and you've had no further police involvement, I can't imagine it going south unless there are other circumstances...
Last edited by Vexper; 1 week ago
David.March
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice.

That is essentially what I was looking for, you know...How much do I disclose, as I didn't want to make it worse.

Of course, I don't want to hide anything as this will look worse.

There are sections on the forms which allows me to put more imformation. I think I will ise this section to add more details and elaborate more.

I just hope that they can see that it was just a stupid mistake I made, and since its now been 9 years since I done this that they will take that into account.

Thanks for the advice again
(Original post by Vexper)
Based on the CTC questionnaire here if that's what you're going through?;

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...onnaire-nsv001

You won't really find an accurate answer here, they'll decide based on the given circumstances and requirements of the role.

In the crim conv section it appears you don't need to include parking and speeding convicitions as they're excluded, but you would need to include other motoring offences. So your speeding wouldn't go against you I wouldn't have thought. Fraud is quite a biggy though. Honesty is definitely best policy, give full details. They're not stupid, they'd recognise you're being vague if you try and downplay it. Fraud isn't something any employer will overlook without extreme scrunity. If you're a decision maker then you're gonna have access to a lot of identification documentation. Identity fraud/theft is one of the biggest fraud incidents that occur. Although, if you have been working for a BANK for the last 6 years and you've had no further police involvement, I can't imagine it going south unless there are other circumstances...
OnceUponAStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
There's really nothing you can do other than apply and see if you get it.

They'll either get a full copy of your police record, or at the very least a list of your convictions from the police, so it's not like they wouldn't know what you'll be telling them.

If you're at the stage of completing the CTC application, then I assume you've already passed the BPSS, so the HO have already decided the convictions aren't a bar to your employment and are comfortable with what access to information you will have despite the convictions. As the name suggest, CTC is all about counter terrorism. Are you trustworthy, can you be bribed by terrorists, and of course do you have known links to terrorists etc. As long as you're honest, I don't see what you've mentioned would pose any issues.

p.s. I'm actually quite impressed you managed to secure employment with a bank 3 years after an attempted fraud conviction.........
David.March
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I was honest with the bank at the time about my conviction and the stupid mistake I made.It goes to show that honesty is indeed the best policy.

I think the reason BPSS checks have gone through so far is due to it not showing spent convictions, which my conviction from 2010 is now spent.

However, the CTC vetting will ask for all convictions, spent and unspent and thats when the count down begins to see what they say.

I wonder if anyone has had a similar conviction as mine and was successful in getting clearance?
Last edited by David.March; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.85%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
10.07%
No I am happy with my course choice (396)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.1%

Watched Threads