Nas1707
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello, I'm trying to complete my coursework. I've coded most of my game (I have a working game and functioning screens) but I don't know how to code the other part of my game which makes it different to what's currently available online. We haven't been taught how to code at school and teachers won't give us much help... The deadline for the code is next Friday. Do you think I'll lose many marks if I don't finish the game but complete all my other sections to a high standard
JackMoseley
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
As long as your algorithms etc are of good high level standard you won’t drop marks, there are a couple marks for ‘completeness’ but not many. They don’t mind if the game etc is a bit buggy. What is the other part of the game you want to code up and try make different to the market?
Nas1707
Rep:
?
At the moment I have Breakout with Space invaders characters. Now I'm trying to get the characters to move down(like the do in space invaders)
(Original post by JackMoseley)
As long as your algorithms etc are of good high level standard you won’t drop marks, there are a couple marks for ‘completeness’ but not many. They don’t mind if the game etc is a bit buggy. What is the other part of the game you want to code up and try make different to the market?
JackMoseley
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Nas1707)
At the moment I have Breakout with Space invaders characters. Now I'm trying to get the characters to move down(like the do in space invaders)
Hmm, what algorithms are you currently using? For example for mine I used Prims randomised algorithm and dijkstra as my main algorithms
Nas1707
Rep:
?
I have to use Python and Pygame module
Hmm, what algorithms are you currently using? For example for mine I used Prims randomised algorithm and dijkstra as my main algorithms
TheNGame
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hello, I'm trying to complete my coursework. I've coded most of my game (I have a working game and functioning screens) but I don't know how to code the other part of my game which makes it different to what's currently available online. We haven't been taught how to code at school and teachers won't give us much help... The deadline for the code is next Friday. Do you think I'll lose many marks if I don't finish the game but complete all my other sections to a high standard
You wont lose marks, simply state in your written coursework that you had time restraints and couldn't meet the initial success criteria and list what you would do if you had more time
JackMoseley
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I have to use Python and Pygame module
Okay, but these are libraries and a language, not algorithms.

TheNGame is right though, as long as you explain as to why you were unable to complete this, you'll be fine. Most of the marks aren't for coding anyway, and are instead for the write-up sections.
Nas1707
Rep:
?
We haven't really doing any programming in school. All we were told is the briefing for the coursework and to get on with it.... I don't really understand those two algorithms you mentioned.

But thank you! I'll spend the rest of this week trying to get the code working and see what my teacher says.
Okay, but these are libraries and a language, not algorithms.

TheNGame is right though, as long as you explain as to why you were unable to complete this, you'll be fine. Most of the marks aren't for coding anyway, and are instead for the write-up sections.
TheNGame
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Aha dont worry about it , my school did the same thing, we had to code using something called Monkey X which basically has no tutorials and is a weird hybrid of programming languages.
To code a game using pygame there are many tutorials so just follow one and understand what it does.
We didn't have to follow any specific algorithms but just have a criteria such as a health , 3 levels etc and provide evidence we have coded iteratively and used stakeholder feedback anf justified literally everything.
The written part of the coursework is very very long.
Once you've coded your game you're all good to go.
BTW In your coursework you will have to take sections of your code and explain the method or code or key algorithms you have used and why. Your teachers will help you with this..ish.
If you need any help or wanna see my coursework/final game im more than happy to show you
We haven't really doing any programming in school. All we were told is the briefing for the coursework and to get on with it.... I don't really understand those two algorithms you mentioned.

But thank you! I'll spend the rest of this week trying to get the code working and see what my teacher says.
Nas1707
Rep:
?
Yeh if I could look at your Coursework bthat would be amazing! I've almost finished the code but it's this last damn thing lmao.

Once again thank you for your help!
(Original post by TheNGame)
Aha dont worry about it , my school did the same thing, we had to code using something called Monkey X which basically has no tutorials and is a weird hybrid of programming languages.
To code a game using pygame there are many tutorials so just follow one and understand what it does.
We didn't have to follow any specific algorithms but just have a criteria such as a health , 3 levels etc and provide evidence we have coded iteratively and used stakeholder feedback anf justified literally everything.
The written part of the coursework is very very long.
Once you've coded your game you're all good to go.
BTW In your coursework you will have to take sections of your code and explain the method or code or key algorithms you have used and why. Your teachers will help you with this..ish.
If you need any help or wanna see my coursework/final game im more than happy to show you
JackMoseley
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Ah, that’s completely understandable. Mine was a maze game which those algorithms came in useful. I’d say get what you can done with the programming and then focus well on the written work as there’s good marks to be gotten there!
Nas1707
Rep:
?
Thank you soo much for your help! You have reassured me that I won't loose as many marks as I thought!!
Ah, that’s completely understandable. Mine was a maze game which those algorithms came in useful. I’d say get what you can done with the programming and then focus well on the written work as there’s good marks to be gotten there!
JackMoseley
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you soo much for your help! You have reassured me that I won't loose as many marks as I thought!!
No worries. Glad to be of help. I have a video of mine and whatnot if you would like a look at some point 🤷*♂️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (134)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (140)
16.2%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
9.61%
Isolating with family (59)
6.83%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.82%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (76)
8.8%
Loneliness (89)
10.3%
Financial worries (37)
4.28%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (76)
8.8%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
6.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (79)
9.14%

Watched Threads