The Student Room Group

Computer Science and Maths not at Cambridge anymore?

Hi there,
I was looking at the computer science course at Cambridge university and have noticed that there are a few changes. The main one, for me, is that there is no option to do it alongside maths. Previously there used to be a section on the course outline which said you would have the option to take multiple maths papers and that "this is known as Computer Science with Mathematics." This no longer appears to be on the course page. As well as this, they have changed the admissions test to be the CTMUA rather than the CSAT which was what it used to be before and was definitely more demanding in terms of mathematical aptitude. Does anyone know why this has happened? Have they completely gotten rid of CS with maths or am I missing something? I'd appreciate feedback as I am seriously considering the course for 2021 entry.
(edited 4 years ago)
I believe this is correct and everyone now takes one math paper.
Reply 2
Thanks..I seriously hope they bring it back for 2021 entry as I'd really like to go to Cambridge :frown:
Original post by Tonymaloney
I believe this is correct and everyone now takes one math paper.
Original post by sigma_108
Thanks..I seriously hope they bring it back for 2021 entry as I'd really like to go to Cambridge :frown:

I really don't believe that will happen. On the open day they said that people who did the option with more maths often regretted it and would've preferred doing more CS. I know Oxford has a Computer Science and Maths course. Maybe you should check that out.
Reply 4
I see.. that's unfortunate because I think I'd enjoy the maths side of things a lot.. I suppose I'll have to go with Computer Science at Cambridge or consider elsewhere for CS and Maths. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Tonymaloney
I really don't believe that will happen. On the open day they said that people who did the option with more maths often regretted it and would've preferred doing more CS. I know Oxford has a Computer Science and Maths course. Maybe you should check that out.
Reply 5
I see.. that's unfortunate because I think I'd enjoy the maths side of things a lot.. I suppose I'll have to go with Computer Science at Cambridge or consider elsewhere for CS and Maths. Thanks :smile:

The Maths & CS course at Oxford is a genuine joint degree - in the sense that you can maintain a balance of the two disciplines, or focus ultimately entirely on one, rather than some degree that are one discipline with a bit of another tacked on.

That might appeal to you or not - for example M&CS students have to take real analysis in the first year and complex analysis in the second year, not necessarily courses that would appeal to a mathematically-inclined CS student.

Happy to answer any questions on this course.
Reply 6
Thanks for the insights... would you say there's much advantage/disadvantage to studying CS+Maths vs just CS?
Original post by RichE
The Maths & CS course at Oxford is a genuine joint degree - in the sense that you can maintain a balance of the two disciplines, or focus ultimately entirely on one, rather than some degree that are one discipline with a bit of another tacked on.

That might appeal to you or not - for example M&CS students have to take real analysis in the first year and complex analysis in the second year, not necessarily courses that would appeal to a mathematically-inclined CS student.

Happy to answer any questions on this course.
It does seem Cambridge have dropped all 50% CS options (CS with Maths and CS with Natural Sciences) now, however bear in mind this was only for first year; from second year onwards students no matter what their first year options, would be doing full CS. You may be able to transfer into CS after 1 or 2 years in another tripos though, but this wouldn't be guaranteed (and then you wouldn't be a joint honours in the typical sense; you'd be studying one subject, then another).

If you do want to combine both, as above look at Oxford CS & Maths. Do bear in mind university level maths as for maths degree students (single or joint honours) is vastly different to A-level content in both form and function. If you enjoy A-level Maths, then in most CS courses you'll have more than enough maths in this vein to keep you satisfied. Unless you are particularly interested in the formal, abstract, proof-based maths that maths degree students do, it probably isn't worth it (since that material isn't going to make you more employable compared to doing a single honours, it might just be useful for a few PhD projects in more theoretical or mathematical areas of CS).

I'd suggest having a look at something like Spivak's Calculus (or any "introductory analysis" text) to get an idea of what maths degree students do at uni. If this appeals, then it might be worth considering further, but if not, as above you'll have plenty of A-level style maths in a typical CS course. I believe @RichE has also written a book (which I can't recall the name of :redface:) in this vein which may be of interest, and would likely be able to offer more insight into the nature of maths degree content and its style if you ask nicely :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
I see - thank you. I suppose I have a year still to decide (I've only just completed GCSEs but I've covered most the A level maths spec - taking further maths too). I'll definitely research this further over the next year but thanks for the help. - Although I'm still undecided between medicine and CS/maths anyways but let's not get into that... Thanks!
:biggrin::s-smilie:
Reply 9
I see - thank you. I suppose I have a year still to decide (I've only just completed GCSEs but I've covered most the A level maths spec - taking further maths too). I'll definitely research this further over the next year but thanks for the help. - Although I'm still undecided between medicine and CS/maths anyways but let's not get into that... Thanks!

:biggrin::s-smilie:

Original post by artful_lounger
It does seem they've all 50% CS options (CS with Maths and CS with Natural Sciences) now, however bear in mind this was only for first year; from second year onwards students no matter what their first year options, would be doing full CS. You may be able to transfer into CS after 1 or 2 years in another tripos though, but this wouldn't be guaranteed (and then you wouldn't be a joint honours in the typical sense; you'd be studying one subject, then another).

If you do want to combine both, as above look at Oxford CS & Maths. Do bear in mind university level maths as for maths degree students (single or joint honours) is vastly different to A-level content in both form and function. If you enjoy A-level Maths, then in most CS courses you'll have more than enough maths in this vein to keep you satisfied. Unless you are particularly interested in the formal, abstract, proof-based maths that maths degree students do, it probably isn't worth it (since that material isn't going to make you more employable compared to doing a single honours, it might just be useful for a few PhD projects in more theoretical or mathematical areas of CS).

I'd suggest having a look at something like Spivak's Calculus (or any "introductory analysis" text) to get an idea of what maths degree students do at uni. If this appeals, then it might be worth considering further, but if not, as above you'll have plenty of A-level style maths in a typical CS course. @RichE above has also written a book (which I can't recall the name of :redface:) which may be of interest, and would likely be able to offer more insight into the nature of maths degree content and its style if you ask nicely :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks for the insights... would you say there's much advantage/disadvantage to studying CS+Maths vs just CS?

Not objectively. It's down to what the individual wants. The CS course in Cambridge is quite mathematical, by CS standards elsewhere, but most maths you will learn will be aimed towards serving CS purposes. If you want to be doing maths, genuinely as maths students do it, I think you're inclined to a joint degree. Many students would hate doing the thought of analysis, others might welcome the opportunity.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
I see.. but in terms of career opportunities are there advantages as such to doing the joint degree compared to CS by itself?
Original post by RichE
Not objectively. It's down to what the individual wants. The CS course in Cambridge is quite mathematical, by CS standards elsewhere, but most maths you will learn will be aimed towards serving CS purposes. If you want to be doing maths, genuinely as maths students do it, I think you're inclined to a joint degree. Many students would hate doing the thought of analysis, others might welcome the opportunity.
Reply 12
I see.. but in terms of career opportunities are there advantages as such to doing the joint degree compared to CS by itself?

That was the question I was seeking to answer. No, I don't think a CS or Maths & CS degree will lead to better opportunities. I think the important question is choosing a degree to suit you.
Reply 13
Ah I see.. well thank you so much.. it makes my decision less stress filled knowing that I wouldn't be majorly disadvantaging myself by doing one rather than the other.
Original post by RichE
That was the question I was seeking to answer. No, I don't think a CS or Maths & CS degree will lead to better opportunities. I think the important question is choosing a degree to suit you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending