What happens when Brexit... Watch

BeetRoots
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
...happens but then doesn't actually improve the lives of the ordinary folk who voted for it? It's not inconceivable that Brexit will even make the lives of ordinary folk worse in a number of ways. Who gets to be the scapegoat then? Who does Farage blame then, assuming he hasn't gone off to live in France like Lawson did?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by BeetRoots; 1 week ago
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BeetRoots)
...happens but then doesn't actually improve the lives of the ordinary folk who voted for it? It's not inconceivable that Brexit will even make the lives of ordinary folk worse in a number of ways. Who gets to be the scapegoat then? Who does Farage blame then, assuming he hasn't gone off to live in France like Lawson did?
We vote out the political figures that have polices we don't like/agree with and elect people we do like agree with.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Apparently that is a price wirth paying. Who cares if you are on the bread line if you feel a bit more British?
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We saw with a recent poll of Conservative party poll that the majority felt significant economic damage to the UK was a price worth paying for Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8963391.html

For many Brexiters, Brexit has ceased to be about what is rationally best for the UK, and become something more akin to religious fanaticism. So the impoverishment of their fellow Brits not something that concerns them.
DigitalSheppard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When Brexit makes the lives of a lot of people worse off - especially the young - it won't be pretty.

In Greece, for example, the unemployment rate amongst young people is around 30% and - consequently - there is a lot of political dissatisfaction, protests, and civil unrest.

Eventually, we will vote out politicians with those who care. However, if you're angry now, you're unlikely to wait calmly for four years until an election.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
We saw with a recent poll of Conservative party poll that the majority felt significant economic damage to the UK was a price worth paying for Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8963391.html

For many Brexiters, Brexit has ceased to be about what is rationally best for the UK, and become something more akin to religious fanaticism. So the impoverishment of their fellow Brits not something that concerns them.
Rubbish this is all about what is best for the UK and it people, the remainers are doing a splendid job of frustrating the process to make it look like it's an impossible ask. Despite knowing that that's not what's best for the country!
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by DigitalSheppard)
In Greece, for example, the unemployment rate amongst young people is around 30%
EU is working well for them then?
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Gloomy much?

We certainly won’t be rejoining the EU once we leave, a rejoin requirement could be to adopt the Euro, which the public would not agree to.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
When Brexit makes the lives of a lot of people worse off - especially the young - it won't be pretty.

In Greece, for example, the unemployment rate amongst young people is around 30% and - consequently - there is a lot of political dissatisfaction, protests, and civil unrest.

Eventually, we will vote out politicians with those who care. However, if you're angry now, you're unlikely to wait calmly for four years until an election.
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
EU is working well for them then?
Loving the irony in the OP, not sure that it's appreciated fully though.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
" The ordinary folk" ????
Could you maybe please try to be a little more condescending.
And your peers and yourself wonder why we " ordinary people" voted the way we did ( doffs cap and thank my superiors for allowing me to express an opinion, even though they will try their best to ignore it)
MillennialX
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Fast food prices have already gone up.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Loving the irony in the OP, not sure that it's appreciated fully though.
I sometimes wonder if it's understood, I really don't believe some know what they are talking about.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by MillennialX)
What???? That never happened before we voted to leave the EU, I can distinctly remember going into McDonald's in May 2016 and paying £1.50 for a double Mcshite burger meal ( large ). I rescind my vote to leave on those grounds alone.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I sometimes wonder if it's understood, I really don't believe some know what they are talking about.
You definitely have this wrong, we who voted to leave are the uneducated idiots and everything a remainer says is unequivocally true and correct on all fronts.
Know your place Burton.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by MillennialX)
OK, please explain how the EU kept fast food prices low so successfully and why the EU has failed to keep the fast food prices low at the same time.

Spolier - Brexit has not yet happened we have not left yet!
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
You definitely have this wrong, we who voted to leave are the uneducated idiots and everything a remainer says is unequivocally true and correct on all fronts.
Know your place Burton.
Aww yes, sometimes I forget I'm a thick leaver. i make this error over and over again when I read arugements which are appear to be led by ego and zealotry and a general assumption that their point is unequivocally correct and does not need to be explained.

I must know my place better, I'm clearly missing something in my thick leaver brain. I guess it's understandable that these superior remainers respond to my thick stupid points so often with, anger, defensiveness, ad hominem, overgeneralisations and vehement monologues!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Brexit will remain divisive but it’s unlikely we’ll see a major backlash afterwards unless we see persistently very poor poor economic performance. Since economic performance is largely dictated by domestic policy it’s more likely that we will still grow around 2% in the long run and that will be enough to generate indifference. The extreme skeptics will claim success, the federalists will claim mediocrity.

Even the treasury’s worst case scenario does not suggest anything like that occurring. The UK economy is also much stronger and more competitive than Greece.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
people who voted for Brexit did not want their own lives to improve, they just wanted to hurt people more prosperous and open minded than themselves.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I don't think it's inconceivable, I think it will make most people worse off. Just a question of by how much.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by the bear)
people who voted for Brexit did not want their own lives to improve, they just wanted to hurt people more prosperous and open minded than themselves.
Not at all.

I voted to restore the sovereignty of my nation, to send the message that being subject to a foreign court is offensive to me, to put Britain first.

I am a British, straight, white, male and it is time that the political establishment stopped discharging their responsibilities to a foreign land pandering to minorities.

There is a certain irony that you supported UKIP at a time when I was a Euro-federalist. How times change.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads