The Student Room Group

proof by induction

Question:
Show that (nr)+(nr1)=(n+1r) \binom{n}{r} + \binom{n}{r-1} = \binom{n+1}{r}, and prove by induction that (1+x)n=1+nx+....+(nr)xr+....+xn (1+x)^n = 1 +nx + .... + \binom{n}{r} x^r+ ....+ x^n where (nr)=n!(nr)!r! \binom{n}{r} = \frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} and r is positive integer, less than or equal to n.

(nr)=n!(nr)!r! \binom{n}{r}=\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!}

(nr1)=n!(n(r1))!(r1)!=n!(n+1r)!(r1)! \binom{n}{r-1}=\frac{n!}{(n-(r-1))!(r-1)!} = \frac{n!}{(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!}

(n+1r)=(n+1)!(n+1r)!r! \binom{n+1}{r}=\frac{(n+1)!}{(n+1 -r)! r!}

(nr)=n!(nr)!r!+(nr1) \binom{n}{r}=\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} + \binom{n}{r-1}

=n!(nr)!r!+n!(n+1r)!(r1)!=n!(n+1r)!(r1)!+n!(nr)!r!(nr)!r!(n+1r)!(r1)!=n![(n+1r)!(r1)!+(nr)!r!](nr)!r!(n+1r)!(r1)! = \frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} + \frac{n!}{(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!} = \frac{n!(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!+ n!(n-r)!r! }{(n-r)!r!(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!}= \frac{n!\left [ (n+1 -r)!(r-1)! + (n-r)!r! \right ] }{(n-r)!r!(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!}

n![[(n+1r)(nr)(nr1)....2.1](r1)!+[(nr)(nr1)....2.1]r!][(nr)(nr1)....2.1]r!(n+1r)!(r1)!=n![(n+1r)(r1)!+r!]r!(n+1r)!(r1)!\frac{n!\left [ [(n+1 -r)(n-r)(n-r-1)....2.1](r-1)! + [(n-r)(n-r-1)....2.1]r! \right ] }{[(n-r)(n-r-1)....2.1]r!(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!} = \frac{n!\left [ (n+1 -r)(r-1)! +r! \right ] }{r!(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!}

=n![(n+1r)[(r1)(r2)(r3)...2.1]+(r)(r1)(r2)(r3)...2.1](r)!(n+1r)![(r1)(r2)(r3)...2.1]=n![(n+1r)+r]r!(n+1r)!= \frac{n!\left [ (n+1 -r)[(r-1)(r-2)(r-3)...2.1] + (r)(r-1)(r-2)(r-3)...2.1 \right ] }{(r)!(n+1 -r)![(r-1)(r-2)(r-3)...2.1]} = \frac{n!\left [ (n+1 -r) + r \right ] }{r!(n+1 -r)!}

n!(n+1)r!(n+1r)!=(n+1)!r!(n+1r)! \frac{n!(n+1)}{r!(n+1 -r)!} = \frac{(n+1)!}{r!(n+1 -r)!}

(1+x)n=1+nx+....+(nr)xr+....+xn(1+x)^n = 1 +nx + .... + \binom{n}{r} x^r+ ....+ x^n

Suppose the results hold for a particular value of n, say k ;

(1+x)k=1+kx+....+(kr)xr+....+xk (1+x)^k= 1 +kx + .... + \binom{k}{r} x^r+ ....+ x^k

Then adding the next term of the series x(k+1) x^{(k+1)} on both sides;

(1+x)k+x(k+1)=1+kx+....+(kr)xr+....+xk+x(k+1) (1+x)^k + x^(k+1)= 1 +kx + .... + \binom{k}{r} x^r+ ....+ x^k + x^{(k+1)}

So I need to proof that (1+x)k+x(k+1)=(1+x)(k+1) (1+x)^k + x^{(k+1)} = (1+x)^ {(k+1)}
this where i have a problem

Please can i have help as I am having problems with this one how do i use proof by induction to complete the 2nd part of the question

thank you
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
For induction on the second part you must show
(1+x)^(k+1) = (1+x)^k * (1+x) = ....
Has the right form. Its relatively straightforward given the previous result.

You do not add x^(k+1) as you seem to be saying in the last couple of lines.

Note, the first proof could be considerably simplified if you factored out the common terms at the start.

Original post by bigmansouf
Question:
Show that (nr)+(nr1)=(n+1r) \binom{n}{r} + \binom{n}{r-1} = \binom{n+1}{r}, and prove by induction that (1+x)n=1+nx+....+(nr)xr+....+xn (1+x)^n = 1 +nx + .... + \binom{n}{r} x^r+ ....+ x^n where (nr)=n!(nr)!r! \binom{n}{r} = \frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} and r is positive integer, less than or equal to n.

(nr1)=n!(n(r1))!(r1)!=n!(n+1r)!(r1)! \binom{n}{r-1}=\frac{n!}{(n-(r-1))!(r-1)!} = \frac{n!}{(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!}

=n!(nr)!r!+n!(n+1r)!(r1)!=n!(n+1r)!(r1)!+n!(nr)!r!(nr)!r!(n+1r)!(r1)!=n![(n+1r)!(r1)!+(nr)!r!](nr)!r!(n+1r)!(r1)! = \frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} + \frac{n!}{(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!} = \frac{n!(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!+ n!(n-r)!r! }{(n-r)!r!(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!}= \frac{n!\left [ (n+1 -r)!(r-1)! + (n-r)!r! \right ] }{(n-r)!r!(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!}

n![[(n+1r)(nr)(nr1)....2.1](r1)!+[(nr)(nr1)....2.1]r!][(nr)(nr1)....2.1]r!(n+1r)!(r1)!=n![(n+1r)(r1)!+r!]r!(n+1r)!(r1)!\frac{n!\left [ [(n+1 -r)(n-r)(n-r-1)....2.1](r-1)! + [(n-r)(n-r-1)....2.1]r! \right ] }{[(n-r)(n-r-1)....2.1]r!(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!} = \frac{n!\left [ (n+1 -r)(r-1)! +r! \right ] }{r!(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!}

=n![(n+1r)[(r1)(r2)(r3)...2.1]+(r)(r1)(r2)(r3)...2.1](r)!(n+1r)![(r1)(r2)(r3)...2.1]=n![(n+1r)+r]r!(n+1r)!= \frac{n!\left [ (n+1 -r)[(r-1)(r-2)(r-3)...2.1] + (r)(r-1)(r-2)(r-3)...2.1 \right ] }{(r)!(n+1 -r)![(r-1)(r-2)(r-3)...2.1]} = \frac{n!\left [ (n+1 -r) + r \right ] }{r!(n+1 -r)!}

n!(n+1)r!(n+1r)!=(n+1)!r!(n+1r)! \frac{n!(n+1)}{r!(n+1 -r)!} = \frac{(n+1)!}{r!(n+1 -r)!}

(1+x)n=1+nx+....+(nr)xr+....+xn(1+x)^n = 1 +nx + .... + \binom{n}{r} x^r+ ....+ x^n

(1+x)k=1+kx+....+(kr)xr+....+xk (1+x)^k= 1 +kx + .... + \binom{k}{r} x^r+ ....+ x^k

(1+x)k+x(k+1)=1+kx+....+(kr)xr+....+xk+x(k+1) (1+x)^k + x^(k+1)= 1 +kx + .... + \binom{k}{r} x^r+ ....+ x^k + x^{(k+1)}

So I need to proof that (1+x)k+x(k+1)=(1+x)(k+1) (1+x)^k + x^{(k+1)} = (1+x)^ {(k+1)}

Please can i have help as I am having problems with this one how do i use proof by induction to complete the 2nd part of the question

thank you
(edited 4 years ago)

(nr)=n!(nr)!r!+(nr1) \binom{n}{r}=\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} +\binom{n}{r-1}
The last of these is clearly incorrect. Put the first 3 all over the same denominator:

(nr)=n!(nr)!r!=n!(n+1r)(n+1r)!r! \binom{n}{r}=\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} = \frac{n!(n+1-r)}{(n+1-r)!r!}

(nr1)=n!(n(r1))!(r1)!=n!(n+1r)!(r1)!=n!r(n+1r)!r!\binom{n}{r-1}=\frac{n!}{(n-(r-1))!(r-1)!} = \frac{n!}{(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!} = \frac{n!r}{(n+1-r)!r!}

Take out the common factor of n!(n+1r)!r!\frac{n!}{(n+1-r)!r!} and your problem reduces to showing (n+1-r)+r = n + 1.

You should not be adding xk+1x^{k+1} to both sides, you should be multiplying both sides by (1+x). If you then calculate the coefficient of x^r on both sides, you should be able to show it's equal for r = 0, 1, ..., k+1 and so the two sides are identical.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
The last of these is clearly incorrect. Put the first 3 all over the same denominator:

(nr)=n!(nr)!r!=n!(n+1r)(n+1r)!r! \binom{n}{r}=\frac{n!}{(n-r)!r!} = \frac{n!(n+1-r)}{(n+1-r)!r!}

(nr1)=n!(n(r1))!(r1)!=n!(n+1r)!(r1)!=n!r(n+1r)!r!\binom{n}{r-1}=\frac{n!}{(n-(r-1))!(r-1)!} = \frac{n!}{(n+1 -r)!(r-1)!} = \frac{n!r}{(n+1-r)!r!}

Take out the common factor of n!(n+1r)!r!\frac{n!}{(n+1-r)!r!} and your problem reduces to showing (n+1-r)+r = n + 1.

You should not be adding xk+1x^{k+1} to both sides, you should be multiplying both sides by (1+x). If you then calculate the coefficient of x^r on both sides, you should be able to show it's equal for r = 0, 1, ..., k+1 and so the two sides are identical.

Question:

thank you

(1+x)k(1+x)=(1+kx+...+(kr)xr+......+xk)(1+x)[br][br](1+x)k+1=((1+x)1+(1+x)kx+...+(1+x)(kr)xr+......+(1+x)xk)[br][br](1+x)k+1=(1+x+....+kx+kx2...+(kr)xr+(kr)xr+1+......+xk+xk+1) (1+x)^{k}(1+x) = \left (1 + kx + ...+ \binom{k}{r}x^r + ......+ x^k \right ) (1+x)[br][br](1+x)^{k+1} = \left ((1+x) 1 + (1+x)kx + ...+ (1+x) \binom{k}{r}x^r + ......+ (1+x)x^k \right )[br][br](1+x)^{k+1} = \left (1+x + ....+ kx + kx^2 ...+ \binom{k}{r}x^r + \binom{k}{r}x^{r+1} + ......+ x^k +x^{k+1} \right )

The problem is that i am finding difficulty summing this up (1+x+....+kx+kx2...+(kr)xr+(kr)xr+1+......+xk+xk+1) \left (1+x + ....+ kx + kx^2 ...+ \binom{k}{r}x^r + \binom{k}{r}x^{r+1} + ......+ x^k +x^{k+1} \right )
Sn=a(rn1)r1=1(xk+11)x1=(xk+11)x1 S_{n} = \frac{a(r^{n}-1)}{r-1} = \frac{1(x^{k+1}-1)}{x-1}= \frac{(x^{k+1}-1)}{x-1}
I think that the common ratio is probably not x or it could be kx- but I dont know.

This is what I have done so far. Please can i have some pointers

thank you
Reply 4
Write the (1+x)^n out in terms of the nCr terms, then multiply by (1+x) and collect the new coefficients for each x term. Each should be the sum of two nCr terms and you can use the first result you proved.

As an example
(1+x)^2 = 2C0 + 2C1*x + 2C2*x^2
(1+x)^2*(1+x) = 2C0 + (2C0+2C1)*x + (2C1+2C2)*x^2 + 2C2*x^3 = ....

(1+x)k(1+x)=(1+kx+...+(kr)xr+......+xk)(1+x)[br][br](1+x)k+1=((1+x)1+(1+x)kx+...+(1+x)(kr)xr+......+(1+x)xk)[br][br](1+x)k+1=(1+x+....+kx+kx2...+(kr)xr+(kr)xr+1+......+xk+xk+1) (1+x)^{k}(1+x) = \left (1 + kx + ...+ \binom{k}{r}x^r + ......+ x^k \right ) (1+x)[br][br](1+x)^{k+1} = \left ((1+x) 1 + (1+x)kx + ...+ (1+x) \binom{k}{r}x^r + ......+ (1+x)x^k \right )[br][br](1+x)^{k+1} = \left (1+x + ....+ kx + kx^2 ...+ \binom{k}{r}x^r + \binom{k}{r}x^{r+1} + ......+ x^k +x^{k+1} \right )

The problem is that i am finding difficulty summing this up (1+x+....+kx+kx2...+(kr)xr+(kr)xr+1+......+xk+xk+1) \left (1+x + ....+ kx + kx^2 ...+ \binom{k}{r}x^r + \binom{k}{r}x^{r+1} + ......+ x^k +x^{k+1} \right )
Sn=a(rn1)r1=1(xk+11)x1=(xk+11)x1 S_{n} = \frac{a(r^{n}-1)}{r-1} = \frac{1(x^{k+1}-1)}{x-1}= \frac{(x^{k+1}-1)}{x-1}
I think that the common ratio is probably not x or it could be kx- but I dont know.

This is what I have done so far. Please can i have some pointers

thank you
(edited 4 years ago)
What level of maths is this? Is it A-level maths?
Reply 6
For edexcel, binomial (nCr) is A level maths and induction is further maths. The combination of the two topics is beyond what is normally asked. It is just Pascals triangle though ...
Im sure the OP will say where the question comes from.

Original post by Satyr
(edited 4 years ago)
(1+x)k+1=((1+x)1+(1+x)kx+...+(1+x)(kr)xr+......+(1+x)xk)[br][br](1+x)k+1=(1+x+....+kx+kx2...+(kr)xr+(kr)xr+1+......+xk+xk+1)(1+x)^{k+1} = \left ((1+x) 1 + (1+x)kx + ...+ (1+x) \binom{k}{r}x^r + ......+ (1+x)x^k \right )[br][br](1+x)^{k+1} = \left (1+x + ....+ kx + kx^2 ...+ \binom{k}{r}x^r + \binom{k}{r}x^{r+1} + ......+ x^k +x^{k+1} \right )

Not checked the working.

But, you've only got one term for each power of x there.

And that's because, IMO, you've only used one "middle term", the x^r. So, your expansion is rather misleading, and isn't going to facilitate regrouping of terms - which is clearly what the first part of the question is relating to.

It really should be obvious that there is no common ratio, and this is not a geometric progression.

Keep in mind what you're trying to prove, and it should be clear that a summation across all the terms is not what's required.
Reply 8
Original post by Satyr

it is an A level extension question that is designed to test knowledge and understanding
Reply 9
Original post by ghostwalker
Not checked the working.

But, you've only got one term for each power of x there.

And that's because, IMO, you've only used one "middle term", the x^r. So, your expansion is rather misleading, and isn't going to facilitate regrouping of terms - which is clearly what the first part of the question is relating to.

It really should be obvious that there is no common ratio, and this is not a geometric progression.

Keep in mind what you're trying to prove, and it should be clear that a summation across all the terms is not what's required.

Original post by mqb2766
Write the (1+x)^n out in terms of the nCr terms, then multiply by (1+x) and collect the new coefficients for each x term. Each should be the sum of two nCr terms and you can use the first result you proved.

As an example
(1+x)^2 = 2C0 + 2C1*x + 2C2*x^2
(1+x)^2*(1+x) = 2C0 + (2C0+2C1)*x + (2C1+2C2)*x^2 + 2C2*x^3 = ....

ok thanks i will give this another go. I think the question is more about binomal theorem
ok thanks i will give this another go. I think the question is more about binomal theorem

Yes, it's asking you to prove the binomial theorem (for the case of a +ve integer power).

Quick Reply

Latest