Irregular periods and PCOS Watch

bambi2899
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there, I've been suffering from irregular periods for around 2 years now. I started my period when I was 15, and they were initially regular, however last year I didn't get a period for 6 months and since then they have been months apart each time. I'm not sexually active, therefore definitely not pregnant. I'm a healthy weight/BMI and haven't suffered any stress or weight loss recently. I also suffer from spots and possible acne on my chin. I've been trying some tablets and lotion for my skin but this hasn't worked so have been back to the doctors today, and they said they are going to test for PCOS, as I have a few of the symptoms but not all. The doctor also prescribed me Co-Cyprindiol tablets so I was just wondering if anyone has taken these before or has any experiences with them/do they actually work?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bambi2899)
Hi there, I've been suffering from irregular periods for around 2 years now. I started my period when I was 15, and they were initially regular, however last year I didn't get a period for 6 months and since then they have been months apart each time. I'm not sexually active, therefore definitely not pregnant. I'm a healthy weight/BMI and haven't suffered any stress or weight loss recently. I also suffer from spots and possible acne on my chin. I've been trying some tablets and lotion for my skin but this hasn't worked so have been back to the doctors today, and they said they are going to test for PCOS, as I have a few of the symptoms but not all. The doctor also prescribed me Co-Cyprindiol tablets so I was just wondering if anyone has taken these before or has any experiences with them/do they actually work?
I haven't personally but CoolCavy has experience with PCOS so she may have taken these tablets or know about them? (sorry if you haven't but thought worth a try )
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I haven't personally but CoolCavy has experience with PCOS so she may have taken these tablets or know about them? (sorry if you haven't but thought worth a try )
Thanks for the tag :hugs:
Havent personally been on that pill but am happy to answer any questions about PCOS or combined oral contraceptive/mini pill
bambi2899
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Hiya,

Okay thank you very much!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
bambi2899
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Thanks for the tag :hugs:
Havent personally been on that pill but am happy to answer any questions about PCOS or combined oral contraceptive/mini pill
Hiya

Ahh right okay, thank you though! Yeah just not sure if it’s what I’ve got or not but I wasn’t sure if I needed to have all of the symptoms? What pills did they prescribe you? Thanks so much
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hiya

Ahh right okay, thank you though! Yeah just not sure if it’s what I’ve got or not but I wasn’t sure if I needed to have all of the symptoms? What pills did they prescribe you? Thanks so much
You don't need to have all the symptoms to get a diagnosis, no. The only way to know if you have it is to have your bloods checked and usually an ultrasound of your ovaries. You also don't need to be overweight to have PCOS (I'm slightly underweight and I have it).
bambi2899
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
You don't need to have all the symptoms to get a diagnosis, no. The only way to know if you have it is to have your bloods checked and usually an ultrasound of your ovaries. You also don't need to be overweight to have PCOS (I'm slightly underweight and I have it).
Ah right okay, I’ve had a blood test today so I’ll see what the results come back with. Did you have any problems with getting PCOS diagnosed? The previous doctor I had spoke to was reluctant to send me to get a scan done as she basically said that my irregular periods didn’t need looked into until I was ready to have children. Thanks for your help.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah right okay, I’ve had a blood test today so I’ll see what the results come back with. Did you have any problems with getting PCOS diagnosed? The previous doctor I had spoke to was reluctant to send me to get a scan done as she basically said that my irregular periods didn’t need looked into until I was ready to have children. Thanks for your help.
I never really looked for it to be diagnosed, tbh. I had irregular periods plus some other symptoms in my mid-teens and my GP did bloods, which did suggested that I had it, but my periods seemed to settle down so I never went back. Then a couple of years ago I had an ultrasound for a different reason and this showed that my ovaries were enlarged and my new GP checked my bloods again and confirmed PCOS.

You don't necessarily need a scan to confirm the diagnosis, but they shouldn't be ignoring irregular periods - people with PCOS have an increased risk of endometrial cancer if they are not having regular periods so if you are not having periods every 3 or 4 months or so, they should be offering you the pill or another form of contraception to reduce the thickness of your endometrium.
bambi2899
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by black tea)
I never really looked for it to be diagnosed, tbh. I had irregular periods plus some other symptoms in my mid-teens and my GP did bloods, which did suggested that I had it, but my periods seemed to settle down so I never went back. Then a couple of years ago I had an ultrasound for a different reason and this showed that my ovaries were enlarged and my new GP checked my bloods again and confirmed PCOS.

You don't necessarily need a scan to confirm the diagnosis, but they shouldn't be ignoring irregular periods - people with PCOS have an increased risk of endometrial cancer if they are not having regular periods so if you are not having periods every 3 or 4 months or so, they should be offering you the pill or another form of contraception to reduce the thickness of your endometrium.
Ah right okay, yeah I thought the same that they shouldn’t be ignoring it either. I think I will go back and speak to them again. Thank you for your help!
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Ah right okay, yeah I thought the same that they shouldn’t be ignoring it either. I think I will go back and speak to them again. Thank you for your help!
It looks like you've been started on the pill so I don't the there is very much else your GP would do at this stage. But certainly do speak to them again if you have any questions about the diagnosis - sometimes doctors are not very good at explaining things unless you ask them directly...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.95%
No I am happy with my course choice (487)
58.89%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.51%

Watched Threads