frank.ie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m starting Btec law this sept to finish in a year.

Any advice for starting/getting a D/D*?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by frank.ie)
I’m starting Btec law this sept to finish in a year.

Any advice for starting/getting a D/D*?
Learn the specification and marking scheme then make sure each piece of work hits each target.
Do research and master your subject matter.
Work consistently and hard.
Presumably the college has told you it completes in a year?
frank.ie
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Learn the specification and marking scheme then make sure each piece of work hits each target.
Do research and master your subject matter.
Work consistently and hard.
Presumably the college has told you it completes in a year?
They’ve put specific emphasis on the fact that we can do it in a year for some reason. I always thought it was a year qualification anyway. Is it any different because it’s the extended cert and that’s what they’re getting at?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
They’ve put specific emphasis on the fact that we can do it in a year for some reason. I always thought it was a year qualification anyway. Is it any different because it’s the extended cert and that’s what they’re getting at?
Up to the college I believe. It may be because the diploma is taught in year 1 and extended diploma in year 2.
I have a feeling there is no extended diploma for applied law.
The extended certificate is only equal to one A level, it is normally spread over 2 but no reason it cant be one. Check which qualification it is.
frank.ie
Rep:
?
Up to the college I believe. It may be because the diploma is taught in year 1 and extended diploma in year 2.
I have a feeling there is no extended diploma for applied law.
The extended certificate is only equal to one A level, it is normally spread over 2 but no reason it cant be one. Check which qualification it is.
Just checked- it is the Certificate and Extended Certificate.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Just checked- it is the Certificate and Extended Certificate.
Which is equivalent to an AS or A level. Ive seen threads like this before where people believed they were taking more and it has left them short because they only had 2 A levels and you need 3.
frank.ie
Rep:
?
Which is equivalent to an AS or A level. Ive seen threads like this before where people believed they were taking more and it has left them short because they only had 2 A levels and you need 3.
Wow that’s really poor! My tutors have also said it’s equivalent to a level, and I’ve been in touch with the unis i’m interested in and they all said the Extended was fine. I don’t know a lot about the BTec route - i never intended to do one!
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Wow that’s really poor! My tutors have also said it’s equivalent to a level, and I’ve been in touch with the unis i’m interested in and they all said the Extended was fine. I don’t know a lot about the BTec route - i never intended to do one!
Its fine, but you need to be precise. Extended cert = 1 A level. Extended diploma= 3 A levels.
frank.ie
Rep:
?
Its fine, but you need to be precise. Extended cert = 1 A level. Extended diploma= 3 A levels.
Name:  0FFFE0CA-6AEB-446F-A0EE-BE3B5553834B.jpg.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  12.4 KB

taken from my college’s website.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Name:  0FFFE0CA-6AEB-446F-A0EE-BE3B5553834B.jpg.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  12.4 KB

taken from my college’s website.
Yes that is the certificate. I meant when talking to the uni.
frank.ie
Rep:
?
Yes that is the certificate. I meant when talking to the uni.
Sorry, read that wrong! I was sure to say certificate when i sent out my emails and all apart from a couple of the unis have been specific in response and said they accept the certificate and expect X in it. A couple of unis must have gotten the wrong end of the stick and said they expect XXX so i’ve written them off anyway.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Sorry, read that wrong! I was sure to say certificate when i sent out my emails and all apart from a couple of the unis have been specific in response and said they accept the certificate and expect X in it. A couple of unis must have gotten the wrong end of the stick and said they expect XXX so i’ve written them off anyway.
The point is there is scope for miscommunication and that can end in disaster for you. It has for people on previous threads, hence I pointed it out and you can have peace of mind you are doing things correctly.
frank.ie
Rep:
?
The point is there is scope for miscommunication and that can end in disaster for you. It has for people on previous threads, hence I pointed it out and you can have peace of mind you are doing things correctly.
It must be awful to get all the way to applying and not have realised the mistake! Just goes to show you have to be really clear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads