Instagram to ask 'are you sure' to users writing offensive posts Watch

CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I didn’t even know you could post comments on instagram.
sigh Get with the times old man
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
sigh Get with the times old man
Rude.
DR.DOOM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I've said it once and I'll say it again, freedom of speech is important to maintain and NO ONE, even if they are racist, extreme or a complete ******** should have their words censored just because some idiot liberals don't like it. The left are so intolerant that this is growing out of control and instagram including a feature like this is a complete joke. If you're being cyber bullied its time to use a block or mute button. If you can't stand it then get the hell off your computer and go outside to do something more productive. This is why social media is complete rubbish because people are so attached to it they need little preferences to stop people hurting their feelings, just stop using it and your life will become a whole lot better
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
It's like telling a thief "are you sure you want to steal that" then letting them go if they say yes. The vast majority of bullies would know exactly what they're doing. Especially people doing so so unambiguously that a bot could tell what they're doing.

It would make much more sense to not let them post it, or make it initially non-public until a human can review it.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by DR.DOOM)
I've said it once and I'll say it again, freedom of speech is important to maintain and NO ONE, even if they are racist, extreme or a complete ******** should have their words censored just because some idiot liberals don't like it. The left are so intolerant that this is growing out of control and instagram including a feature like this is a complete joke. If you're being cyber bullied its time to use a block or mute button. If you can't stand it then get the hell off your computer and go outside to do something more productive. This is why social media is complete rubbish because people are so attached to it they need little preferences to stop people hurting their feelings, just stop using it and your life will become a whole lot better
You do understand the difference between freedom of verbal speech and written communications?
British law treats published content, electronic messages and anything that is broadcast to an audience very differently to a private spoken conversation.
Much of the social media abuse, harassment and threatening messages are illegal.
Absolute personal freedom ends where the law begins.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
this isn't restricting anybody's freedom of speech, it's just a pop up which you can easily dismiss. What an overreaction.
(Original post by DR.DOOM)
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I didn’t even know you could post comments on instagram.
Neither did I. I just hit the <3 button to girls who're showing off their bums. I actually don't think there's any other reason people go to insta?
The Mogg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
No bothered, prefer MySpace and Bebo anyway.
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by JoelBigSmokeTea)

Well boys we did it bullying is no more
You beat me to it :moon:
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by _gcx)
It's like telling a thief "are you sure you want to steal that" then letting them go if they say yes. The vast majority of bullies would know exactly what they're doing. Especially people doing so so unambiguously that a bot could tell what they're doing.

It would make much more sense to not let them post it, or make it initially non-public until a human can review it.
But a thief has already committed a crime by stealing someone else's property.
The crimes on social media usually revolve around: publishing illegal content or harassment by way of sending three + unsolicited messages that are abusive/grossly offensive/intimidating.

Many people don't realize that actions that are illegal face to face or over the phone are also illegal online.
The warning many encourage some wannabe bullies/criminals to think twice.
If the post was automatically blocked or made non-public until a mod approved, the howls of censorship would be deafening.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
But a thief has already committed a crime by stealing someone else's property.
The crimes on social media usually revolve around: publishing illegal content or harassment by way of sending three + unsolicited messages that are abusive/grossly offensive/intimidating.

Many people don't realize that actions that are illegal face to face or over the phone are also illegal online.
The warning many encourage some wannabe bullies/criminals to think twice.
If the post was automatically blocked or made non-public until a mod approved, the howls of censorship would be deafening.
Maybe it was a bad example. But assumedly messages caught by this filter would be removed if reported. (provided that it functions properly) So why not prevent the message being sent and/or flag it then? Though I guess, as this is Instagram, users would have the power to remove these comments themselves and block them from commenting on their stuff? (idk because I don't use instragram)

I just think if they're going to do this they might as well go the whole hog. The only times where this'd have any effect is people who type something in the heat of the moment then quickly change their mind - in which case they'd quickly delete their comment anyway and this just gives them slightly longer before it's seen. Someone making these comments as targeted harassment are almost certainly aware of the impact it'll have and won't be fased at all, and will probably just find ways to evade the filter. (by replacing certain letters with letter emojis for instance)
Other_Owl
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Need it for sending any emails.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
:laugh:
(Original post by Other_Owl)
Need it for sending any emails.
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Aw that’s cute
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Royalist Blue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
The thought police in full swing again. Very bad idea. Freedom of speech should be allowed with no censorship. Who cares about offensive posts
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48916828

Instagram is using AI to ask people who are displaying bullying or offensive behaviour in their posts if they 'are sure' they want to post it - offering them the chance to retract their comment if they change their mind.

Instagram have been plagued with concerns around tackling online bullying behaviour, and this new tool is an attempt to give users a second chance to evaluate the impact their words have before the intended user sees them.

What do you think? Would something like this popping up make you think about the words you are using? Or would it not bother you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads