The Student Room Group

From Homeschool To 6th Form

Since I was born, basically, my parents opted to educate me themselves from home rather than send me to school. I am now in year 11 and will, next year, be taking my GCSE exams, following which I will hopefully attend my local sixth form to study a-level maths, chemistry and physics/further maths. Now, I've never been to a school and so I'm not familiar with the environment to begin with, yet alone in a sixth form, so I'm curious - does anyone have any tips or advice to share in advance? Regarding these subjects, a-levels in general, or sixth form itself?
Original post by SongOfTheSpoon
Since I was born, basically, my parents opted to educate me themselves from home rather than send me to school. I am now in year 11 and will, next year, be taking my GCSE exams, following which I will hopefully attend my local sixth form to study a-level maths, chemistry and physics/further maths. Now, I've never been to a school and so I'm not familiar with the environment to begin with, yet alone in a sixth form, so I'm curious - does anyone have any tips or advice to share in advance? Regarding these subjects, a-levels in general, or sixth form itself?

I've actually just finished Year 11 and I'm going to my school's sixth form to (hopefully) study Maths, Physics and Art. I'm not home-schooled but sixth form will obviously be a new thing to me and loads of other kids across the country.
-I think it'll be a good idea to visit any open days/taster days/induction days your local sixth form may have. However, if these specific days have already happened, I'm sure they'll be happy to invite you for a short meeting or tour around so you get familiar with the environment.
-Another thing: there will be loads of other students who are new so don't be so worried about making friends instantly. Everybody will be trying to get used to the sixth form life and trying to find friends - this is the time most friendships change and grow.
-It'll also be a good idea to get to know your teachers well. Your Head of Sixth Form, Pastoral care team and your subject teachers when you get there. Sit at the front of the class to give the impression that you're committed to learn.
- Always ask for help when you need it - teachers are teachers for a reason; they're always willing to help if you get stuck in anything.

That's all I could think of to help give a short insight to school life and what I know about sixth form too. I really hope that the exams you're about to do go great and that moving to sixth form will be easy for you - good luck! :biggrin: :wink:
Perhaps think about spending year 11 at secondary school as gradual process

Quick Reply

Latest