Why is Strathclyde ranked higher than LSE and Durham for Entry Standards? Watch

ErvinBoyes
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ntry+Standards

Why on this list is Strathclyde 5th for entry standards?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ErvinBoyes)

I would think its highly suspect, contact and ask them.
Alternatively look at comparable courses and I doubt straths entry requirements are in the same league as LSE.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Their Director of Strategic Planning is doing something hinky with the maths! I don't know what, but something like - counting UCAS points for only those joining in the 2nd year (English and Welsh 1st year), who will have higher average UCAS points that those joining in Yr 1. Or, capturing data on all additional UCAS points for music, dance, horse riding, BSL etc - there are various ways to gain a few more UCAS points. Or because they have a policy which attracts many local students with very high grades who might otherwise have gone to 'better' universities.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
I would think its highly suspect, contact and ask them.
Alternatively look at comparable courses and I doubt straths entry requirements are in the same league as LSE.
Most Scottish uni entrants and their system has a system of higher and lower. Most LSE students are English where most applicants are now taking only 3 A levels since Gove's changes to linear A levels. They used to also take an AS level which is now not usually the case. It is this difference in the system which is causing the anomaly you see where Scottish universities are shown with higher entry standards than English and Welsh universities
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Most Scottish uni entrants and their system has a system of higher and lower. Most LSE students are English where most applicants are now taking only 3 A levels since Gove's changes to linear A levels. They used to also take an AS level which is now not usually the case. It is this difference in the system which is causing the anomaly you see where Scottish universities are shown with higher entry standards than English and Welsh universities
That would be a fair explanation, but then its the deficiencies in their metric to take this into account or fully explain.
I tend not to pay much attention to tables and rankings, so I wouldnt have been looking here anyway, except to gain an idea of which unis were in a subject area.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Probably a combination of two things.

Firstly, I would imagine its entry requirements are quite high. I don't know about all of its subjects, but for engineering it has very high entry requirements - something like AAAAB at higher for the MEng. A lot of the highest achieving students in Scotland go there.

Secondly, it looks like nearly all Scottish universities fare well in terms of entry standards. I don't know how the score is calculated, but it sure looks like Scottish qualifications are providing a lot more points than English ones.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

This affects all English universities, not just the two you mentioned.

It comes down to English universities no longer having a 4th AS to consider + ASs being discounted relative to Scottish Highers since the new tariff came into existence + most English uni applicants only doing 3 A-levels nowadays whereas Scottish applicants do at least 5 Highers and at least a couple of Advanced Highers (if they get to that stage)

I chucked the average predicted A-level grades for Glasgow and Cambridge law offerholders into a table for a bit of fun. Guess which one is which, and then go check the relevant league table.
aleml
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It's probably a number of these factors but also univerisity education in scotland is free. So if everyone is able to apply to university it'd make getting into university more competitive driving up entry standards. Furthermore, since Scottish universities aren't gaining money from tuition fees they have to make it from research and grants. This is probably why theres a disproportionally large amount of good universities such as strathclyde glasgow edinburgh etc compared to England.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads