Library noise at Oxford Watch

anythingyouwish
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm a student at Trinity College in Dublin. Just wondering how quiet Oxford libraries are. Here, people are great at obeying the no-talking rule - top-notch. But it would seem anything else goes. Dropping bags down on tables, dragging chairs, loud headphones, continuous unmuffled coughing, etc. Is it the same at Oxford too?

Not sure what I want the answer to be. If the answer is no, then I hate my peers. If it's yes, than I hate humanity.
LostLioness
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I doubt either answer will induce a healthy emotion in you. You seem overtly irritated. Just don't go to the library and find another area for some quiet work. Besides, library is always full of people who breathe like the world is resting on their shoulder and it stresses me out too. I avoid it like the plague.
Last edited by LostLioness; 1 week ago
LostLioness
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
An honest admission: I am the 'furious typer' and so I get looks for it. If you are the 'dirty look giver', I am sure you will find another area of study more welcoming.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
loud headphones is obviously an issue. as for the rest, i would ask yourself if there may be a mental health issue related to solitude as you should not be put off by such little things
(Original post by anythingyouwish)
I'm a student at Trinity College in Dublin. Just wondering how quiet Oxford libraries are. Here, people are great at obeying the no-talking rule - top-notch. But it would seem anything else goes. Dropping bags down on tables, dragging chairs, loud headphones, continuous unmuffled coughing, etc. Is it the same at Oxford too?

Not sure what I want the answer to be. If the answer is no, then I hate my peers. If it's yes, than I hate humanity.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
loud headphones is obviously an issue. as for the rest, i would ask yourself if there may be a mental health issue related to solitude as you should not be put off by such little things

anythingyouwish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by LostLioness)
Just don't go to the library and find another area for some quiet work ... I am sure you will find another area of study more welcoming.
Really? More welcoming than an area with strict rules on noise, and which is dedicated to the purpose of study?!

(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
Well, thanks for the diagnosis. On what grounds do you feel so confident in asserting that loud headphones (the quietest of the problems I listed) are unacceptable, but that dropping a bag down loudly beside someone who has been sitting in silence for hours is perfectly okay - something I'm an oddball for finding disrespectful? Have you considered that you're just not that well-mannered? Ultimately, I care when people do those things to me because I make an effort not to do it to them.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Depends on the library, depends on the time, depends on who's there. At Merton I could generally find a room with just me in it, but even if I couldn't, the noise never bothered me.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

u may have misophonia - search it up
anythingyouwish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Depends on the library, depends on the time, depends on who's there. At Merton I could generally find a room with just me in it, but even if I couldn't, the noise never bothered me.
Hi! So, it doesn't surprise me that there's not much noise when you're in a room alone. But when you're not, despite it not annoying you either way, are people not noticeably careful to reduce their noise?
(Original post by Msbrownie.xo)
u may have misophonia - search it up
It's not really the noise, in itself, so much as the fact that people are comfortable inflicting it on me, if you know what I mean. I'll happily sit on a loud bus, but if someone beside me plays sound aloud on their phone that's much quieter, it'll annoy me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Are cats selfish

Yes (128)
60.66%
No (83)
39.34%

Watched Threads

Latest