NicoleBoat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
What is History A-level like? Do Unis look for that? What is the workload like? is it fun? Others things to add on to that too please.
Sophia_cookson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
yes. i do the OCR board and we cover the French revolution, The tudors and Russia and its rullers (we also do coursework)
its by far my favourite subject and thats even what i want to do at uni. It depends on your teacher as well. mine arnt great but i still really love the subject. It can be hard but you will improve on essays over time
i would defiantly say do history
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I did OCR, studying civil rights in the USA 1865-1992, the Tudors 1547-1603 and Russia 1894-1941. I think I'm going to miss this subject the most.
The workload was the least out of all my subjects - I took maths, further maths and physics alongside history. But then again I'm not a good example - I didn't need history to meet my firm offer so I didn't revise it that much (incidentally, two of my other uni choices didn't care whether I had A in further maths or history!).

A huge part of it involves nailing down a formula for your essays. For the thematic civil rights essays I got that formula right away, but with the other topics it took a while to get comfortable with them because they had a different style of essay. Usually you can expect to do a couple long essays as opposed to many short questions like you did in GCSE. In the Civil Rights paper, we did one 30-mark question and two 25-mark questions.

I think I liked the lessons themselves more than anything because it was a tiny class (7 of us) and we got on really well with the teachers, we had some nice spontaneous debates and sometimes got completely sidetracked, it was great.

Oh god, and coursework. That was probably the most stressful part for me because I procrastinated so hard. It's very interesting once you get into it, looking at a historical debate and picking apart all the various arguments, and if you do well then that's a decent chunk of your A-level already acquired.

Unis will look for history A-level only if they require it - usually they don't care what you take outside of the required subjects.
ml55
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i do aqa, just finished my first year where we're covering america 1865-1975 and britain 1906-1957, the workload is a bit above average i believe but as long as you're on top of it with your notes from day one you'll be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads