Burned plastic chemicals in oven? - HELP! Watch

yaire
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Idk if anyone will be able to help but I'm desperate rn. So the other day, I was cooking some chicken nuggets and roast potatoes (don't ask) which were in plastic packaging. I preheated the oven to 220 degrees celsius (with the tray in the oven). The pack of chicken nuggets was lying on the hob, and somehow I managed to partly put the burning hot tray slightly on top of the corner of the pack of chicken nuggets. I only realised this after about a minute, and there was a huge hole burned through the corner of the packet. I don't know what type of plastic it was made from, but it was the very thin, flexible, clear plastic that cheap bags of chicken nuggets come in if anyone understands what I mean. Stupid me put the bag of chicken nuggets back in the freezer and put the tray back into the oven to cook my food.

Now, I don't know if I'm being paranoid (which I quite often am but I can never tell the difference between my paranoia or if something is a genuine concern), but am I in danger? I have read online that burned plastic emits dioxins which are heavily dangerous to the immune system and are potentially carcinogenic - does my oven contain terrible plastic chemicals as the tray would've surely had the chemicals go onto it when it burned the plastic, which would now be in the oven?

HELP. PLEASE.
yaire
Rep:
?
bump?
siamsam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If that was the case I would have died years ago

Nothing to worry about, if it makes you feel better you could throw the nuggets away as I'm sure that they're worse for you than the burnt packaging
yaire
Rep:
?
Have you done the same thing - or similar - then?
(Original post by siamsam)
If that was the case I would have died years ago

Nothing to worry about, if it makes you feel better you could throw the nuggets away as I'm sure that they're worse for you than the burnt packaging
siamsam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've lost count of the number of times I've taken something out of the oven to find that the plastic tray containing the food has burnt and changed shape. Hasn't done me any harm however my daughter may disagree with that.
To be honest I try to steer away from processed food whenever possible and cook from scratch however sometimes the lure of a quick ready meal wins
yaire
Rep:
?
Ah ok thank you very much. & yes, I definitely give into a quick meal most times.
(Original post by siamsam)
I've lost count of the number of times I've taken something out of the oven to find that the plastic tray containing the food has burnt and changed shape. Hasn't done me any harm however my daughter may disagree with that.
To be honest I try to steer away from processed food whenever possible and cook from scratch however sometimes the lure of a quick ready meal wins
yaire
Rep:
?
anyone else have any experience with this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads