The Student Room Group

My daughter has been moved from set 3 to set 2 in Maths...pls help!

My daughter is currently in Year 9 and has been in set 3 out of 4 in Maths for the whole of year 8 and 9. As we are approaching the end of summer term, she got told today that she will be moving to set 2 in Year 10 in September. Her teacher also called me to tell me this news as I had emailed her to ask about the sets in year 10 and weather she will be taught higher or foundation content.

However, her teacher repeatedly told me that my daughter will struggle in set 2 and its better for her to be top of set 3 than bottom of set 2. My DD has been trying hard all year and has scored high marks in all her assessments in year 9 and also got a great result in her year 9 mock. So I assume this is why the teachers decided to give her a chance and move her to set 2.

I asked the question about Higher and Foundation Tier and the teacher informed me that in Sept, Year 10 set 1 and 2 will be taught Higher Tier content and set 3 and 4 will be taught Foundation content. I think my daughter deserves a chance in set 2 (which she has been given by her teachers) but i got concerned over the teachers comment regarding "she will struggle". My daughter is really pleased about moving to set 2 as she found set 3 quite easy and said she will do extra work at home to make sure she's on top of all the work in set 2 and she's been covering some of the Higher content by herself at home anyway by using revision guides and practice questions . Has anyone else moved up a set, how did you find it? Should i be concerned with the teachers view on this? Its great news but worries me now!
Reply 1
What grade did she get in her mock?
Original post by Kay_20
My daughter is currently in Year 9 and has been in set 3 out of 4 in Maths for the whole of year 8 and 9. As we are approaching the end of summer term, she got told today that she will be moving to set 2 in Year 10 in September. Her teacher also called me to tell me this news as I had emailed her to ask about the sets in year 10 and weather she will be taught higher or foundation content.

However, her teacher repeatedly told me that my daughter will struggle in set 2 and its better for her to be top of set 3 than bottom of set 2. My DD has been trying hard all year and has scored high marks in all her assessments in year 9 and also got a great result in her year 9 mock. So I assume this is why the teachers decided to give her a chance and move her to set 2.

I asked the question about Higher and Foundation Tier and the teacher informed me that in Sept, Year 10 set 1 and 2 will be taught Higher Tier content and set 3 and 4 will be taught Foundation content. I think my daughter deserves a chance in set 2 (which she has been given by her teachers) but i got concerned over the teachers comment regarding "she will struggle". My daughter is really pleased about moving to set 2 as she found set 3 quite easy and said she will do extra work at home to make sure she's on top of all the work in set 2 and she's been covering some of the Higher content by herself at home anyway by using revision guides and practice questions . Has anyone else moved up a set, how did you find it? Should i be concerned with the teachers view on this? Its great news but worries me now!

That was me in year 11, probably get her tuition it shouldn’t be that hard because to be honest if she does foundation she could fail because the grades are harder to achieve.
I'm in year 10 now and people in my school have got moved from set 2 to set 1 and even set 3 to set 1. Honestly they do fine and by time work on themselves and receive good results which sometimes suprise the teacher.

Teachers can have their own opinion in what they believe a child can accomplish and struggle with. However the child herself with only fully know what shes capable of. Therefore if your daughter is working hard and is gald to be in set 2, which implies she believes she will do okay there, you shouldnt be worried at all beacuse she probably has a lot of potential. Also as she has 2 years left of her GCSE course who says she might not even get to set 1 by that time as hard working students are always rewarded by their dedication and resilience especially for a well hated subject like maths.
Original post by Kay_20

So if she struggles and is out of her depth in September/October they can always move her back down to the foundation program. Its much easier to move from higher to foundation than the other way round.

Take this with cautious optimism the teachers believe she has shown the potential to achieve higher grades than those in the foundation course, now let her do her thing and get a good grade, this should be taken as a positive!
Reply 5
The mock paper she sat were based on Foundation Level questions because she was in set 3 so she got a Grade 5. Her total mark was 70 / 80. In Foundation the highest she could have got was a Grade 5. All her assessments throughout Year 9 and end of topic tests have been around 80% - 90%
Original post by Talon
What grade did she get in her mock?
Reply 6
Original post by Kay_20
The mock paper she sat were based on Foundation Level questions because she was in set 3 so she got a Grade 5. Her total mark was 70 / 80. In Foundation the highest she could have got was a Grade 5. All her assessments throughout Year 9 and end of topic tests have been around 80% - 90%

I would definitely say she should be doing higher. Anyone getting the max grade at foundation and finding it easy should do the higher tier. As others have said it will be much more difficult to move from foundation to higher down the road then the other way round.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Thank you so much, that's exactly what i was thinking. I will get her a tutor to make sure she's on top of the work in set 2. She got 70 / 80 in her Mock paper and its a shame as although she did so well, she only got a grade 5 as 5 is the highest you can get even if you score 100%

Did you get moved up and how did you get on with Higher tier work?
Original post by Discrepancy
That was me in year 11, probably get her tuition it shouldn’t be that hard because to be honest if she does foundation she could fail because the grades are harder to achieve.
Hi,
I moved from set 2 to set1 in year 8, so i thought my advice might be relevant. The teachers told me that set 1 would be hard and that I would have to put in the extra hours to remain in set 1. My advice would be that if she struggles in maths she should go to the teacher after school and in lunch and break to get the problem sorted. My teacher told me that I would have to work hard or else I would struggle, but you really don't struggle if you work hard in lessons and do the homework to the best of your ability.
Hope I could help :smile:
Original post by Kay_20

Original post by Kay_20

She should give it a try in case she needs a grade 6 for her degree choice.

Maybe do some work over the summer - these resources are good - https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports
It’s best to be set two, set three and four would only allow her to get to c and and below and there’s more at stake to lose if she at lower set.
But also depends on where she is algebra as features a majority of the paper and not many real life questions
Original post by Kay_20
Thank you so much, that's exactly what i was thinking. I will get her a tutor to make sure she's on top of the work in set 2. She got 70 / 80 in her Mock paper and its a shame as although she did so well, she only got a grade 5 as 5 is the highest you can get even if you score 100%

I was in set 4 in year 7, 8 and 9.

Moved to set 3 in year 10.

Then set 2 in year 11.

We were the first to try the grade 9-1 system to be honest I didn’t revise as much because of the stress of if I could pass or fail.
I did go tuition though and I passed with a grade 4.

Tuition was better than school to be honest.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
I moved up to set 2 from set 3 at the beginning of Year 10. I really struggled to be completely honest, as I hadn't been taught any of this stuff before. However, I think if the set I got moved to had a better teacher, I would've been able to cope but I ended up doing foundation tier for my actual GCSE because I struggled so much with all of the higher stuff. I think that it's definitely possible for her to catch up if she's bright and be able to do higher tier, but in my personal experience it wasn't possible for me at all. I ended up getting a 3 (which is the equivalent of a D I believe) on my year 10 mock for higher tier, and due to being messed around with the change of sets I had to devote most of my GCSE revision to foundation maths.

Best of luck for your daughter, I'm sure she'll be fine. It sounds a bit boring but I think it would be very useful for her to begin revising some of the higher tier stuff over her Summer holiday so that she already has a basic idea of the things that the other students in that set will already know, that way she wouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage. I'd recommend Simon Deacon on YouTube - his videos are very helpful for maths revision.
Original post by Kay_20

I teach gcse maths and so do my son (physics teacher) and daughter ( maths PhD)

We all agree that some of the tutorials on YouTube are brilliant. If your daughter did well in her exams she needs to ve pushed. GCSE maths is not that difficult . You could help her but YouTube is your friend

Quick Reply

Latest