I don’t know what career path to take and what degree to study Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I started university in 2017 studying criminology, I passed my first year with a 2:1. I throughly enjoyed my first year. However, a couple months into my second year my mental health deteriorated quite badly, this was due to career confusions, hatred towards my degree, homesickness and excessive drinking. I decided to drop out and move home to figure out what I wanted. I ended up deciding that I wanted to study Law closer to home, with the idea of becoming a solicitor. However after a couple of months decided that I wasn’t ready to go back to a “normal” university and suffer through the intensity of it all. I pulled out of my unconditional offer and decided to apply to study with the open university (still studying law) as I felt like this would be better for me. But now a few months after making that decision I honestly don’t even know if I want to be a solicitor, I feel as though it’s a nice idea, but I just don’t think I have what it takes or if it’s a career for me. I feel like since dropping out I can’t make up mind about what I really want, my decisions are constantly changing. I honestly don’t think that I want to be a solicitor, therefore there’s no need for me to study law. But if I don’t do that, then I don’t know what else I could do. I know I shouldn’t be, but I’m also worried about what my friends and family will think of my constant indecisiveness. They’ve already made multiple jokes since I changed my mind about where to study.
I just want to finally feel happy about my career decisions, but I don’t know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What are you doing with your time at the moment?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I would say to maybe stop overthinking the career you will choose after your degree, for now. Find a degree, or subject that you enjoy and that you want to study. Have a real sit down and think about what is is you want to do, where you want to study and how (full time, part time, distance etc). You can stick with law but that doesn’t mean you have to become a solicitor. You can develop transferable skills, find a career not directly related to law if you wanted to. Then you can decide maybe what career to pursue nearer the time (I.e. near the end/after your degree). At the same time, use your holidays if you can to build experience doing different things to see what you may be interested in, such as internships or volunteering with private companies (banking, law consultancy etc) or charities to at least have an idea what you don’t want to do.
Ultimately, you don’t have to pursue a career directly related to you degree, you can still change your mind and choose to do whatever you want (including leave uni and return to it in the future if you’re not comfortable), choose to study what you enjoy and just enjoy it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads