How to prepare for sixth form? Watch

khadija.khatun
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Do any current sixth formers have advice for starting A-Levels in September?
Anything you wished you'd known before starting?
Skeletonclique21
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
hey, i'm in year 13 and have just finished my a levels. i think i posted this same question here when i was in your place and it literally seems like a few weeks ago. what subjects are you studying? i did 1AS and 3 A levels. To be honest, i took the vast majority of the summer off because GCSEs were a tough time for me (personal combined with the added stress of school) I really enjoyed myself (didn't go out loads or anything but just chilled a lot). I didn;t do much further reading, i just did my colleges summer work and read through the spec online to get a feel for the course.
i recommend taking a break and doing what you want to do because a levels are very demanding and you're going to need to be well rested and fresh or you'll burnout quick. You may as well enjoy the free time whilst you have it
i do envy you though, my 2 years at sixth form were the best and you do meet lifelong friends.
feel free to AMA
Deggs_14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
What subjects are you going to study? I'd say make sure you have all the stationery you'll need, eg pens, paper, folders, dividers, a bag etc, and clothes. It depends if your sixth form is normal casual wear, or smart business wear.
TheNamesBond.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Get organised, if you log all your work onto files on your laptop or computer day by day and review it at the end of each day and week when it comes to revising you'll be laughing.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
make sure you're organised from the get go otherwise you'll be suffering later. make notes as you go along, and for subjects like english it's worth reading some of the books that you'll be studying, i wish i did that
other than that you don't need to do a whole lot of prep really, make sure you have some binders and an a4 notebook and other bits of stationary (most schools'll expect you to be using your own paper in year 12)
the jump between gcse and a level isn't bad at all, providing you put the work in; the amount of independence can come as a shock though.
Last edited by entertainmyfaith; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads