The Student Room Group

What are the best non russel group universities for Law?

I firmed the University of Sheffield. However, do not have an insurance choice and I am unsure if I did well in my exams. A recruiter for law said that Oxford Brookes and Northumbria are good non russel group universities for law.Is Northumbria a good choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anon5252
I firmed the University of Sheffield. However, do not have an insurance choice and I am unsure if I did well in my exams. A recruiter for law said that Oxford Brookes and Northumbria are good non russel group universities for law.Is Northumbria a good choice?

Not particularly, but it all depends on your grades. If you have a chance of getting into Sheffield you were probably predicted the equivalent of AAA/AAB. A good Insurance choice would be a uni asking for something in the region of ABB/BBB like Kent, for example.
a bad russell group university is worse than a good university that is not RG, you realise?
Russel group don't mean s*** no more. They are literally self chosen unis who pressure the government to increase tuition fees.
Reply 4
Employability wise? Idk. I insured Sheffield for law but a good non Russel Group for law is East Anglia
Original post by anon5252
Original post by Prussianxo
Russel group don't mean s*** no more. They are literally self chosen unis who pressure the government to increase tuition fees.

Not completely self chosen. I mean, I doubt London Southbank would be allowed to choose to join the gang
Reply 6
Sorry but they kind of matter for Law so I wouldn't say they don't matter with such conviction.
Original post by harrysbar
Not completely self chosen. I mean, I doubt London Southbank would be allowed to choose to join the gang

it's literally described as self selected
Original post by Kali.kb
Sorry but they kind of matter for Law so I wouldn't say they don't matter with such conviction.

why?
Reply 9
Take what I say right now with a pinch of salt because some firms don't follow this idea anymore. But within firms, Russel Group unis tend to get your foot in the door so much more. Russel Group graduates (including Oxbridge) make up majority of top law firm employees. However some unis like UEA, Leicester and there's one more which has completely slipped my mind do tend to have decent amounts of graduates at top law firms.

My cousin went to Hertfordshire, got a 1st in Law and couldn't get a training contract. Whilst her sister got a 2:1 from Bristol and got a training contract with Clifford Chance.
why?
it's literally described as self selected

It's not like just any uni could select themselves to join the RG tho, is it, or lots more unis would do so
Erm no. My cousin didn't "fail" her A Levels, she missed out on her Oxford offer and got AAB, Hertfordshire was her insurance because she wanted to stay closer to home.
You can do law at any university you want, but if you want a training contract the you will need at least AAB and a 2.1 or higher from a Russell Group university. My mum is a lawyer and knows quite a few (obviously), and says they always chuck out applications from non RG graduates.

Sorry, not what you wanted to hear.
Outside of the RG you want to be looking at Leicester, Lancaster and Kent, perhaps City as well if you want to be in London.
You and I both know you were reffering to that so come off it thanks
Reply 15
Original post by Nautilus
You can do law at any university you want, but if you want a training contract the you will need at least AAB and a 2.1 or higher from a Russell Group university. My mum is a lawyer and knows quite a few (obviously), and says they always chuck out applications from non RG graduates.

Absolute Nonsense
I don't have much to offer by way of advice, but I did want to say good luck getting into Sheffield. I study at the law school there now and I'm really enjoying it so far. If you have any questions about the uni I'd be glad to try help.
Loool I'm sorry that's false
Original post by Nautilus

im not sure if you're being ironic but neither offer law haha
Only Bath Spa :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest