Cranfield MSc Aerospace Vehicle Design course Watch

tyw7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
If anybody is taking the course I would like to find out about the course application process and the class contents.
Cranfield University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello tyw7

Hope all is well
The course structure of MSc Aerospace vehicle Design has a taught module generally delivered from October to March (or March-August for the March intake). Students also have an extensive choice of optional modules to match their specific interests. However, the students are assessed via examinations for the mandatory modules. These examinations will add up to 10% of your overall grade.

The group project which is 50% of the grade is a distinctive and unique feature of the course. This teamwork project takes place from October to March (or March-August for the March intake), and recreates a virtual industrial environment bringing together students with various experience levels and different nationalities into one integrated design team.
Each team member is given the responsibility for the detailed design of a significant part of the aircraft, for example, forward fuselage, fuel system, or navigation system. The project progresses a design from the conceptual phase through to the preliminary and detail design phases. Students are required to run project meetings, produce engineering drawings and conduct detailed analyses of their design. Problem solving and project co-ordination must be undertaken on a team and individual basis. At the end of the project, the group is required to report and present findings to a panel of up to 200 senior engineers from industry and academia.

The individual research project element (40% of the grade) aims to provide the training necessary for you to apply knowledge from the taught elements to research and takes place from March to September (or October-February for the March intake). The project may be theoretical and/or experimental and can be selected from a range of topics related to the course as suggested by teaching staff, your employer or even focused on your own area of interest.

As far as the student life is concerned, the experience as a current AVD student has been impeccable thus far. From the start of the course, I was required to take part in two acrobatic flights with an expert pilot in which I got to experience various manoeuvres such as stall turn, stall spin and etc. Moreover, there are tons of free museum visits arranged through the administration. During my tenure as an AVD student I was lucky enough to tour both Brooklands Museum and Royal Airforce Museum. Through these visits, I had the opportunity to get on board the famous Concorde aircraft as well as many more. In addition to these museum tours, I also had the opportunity to tour in the Nimrod as well as in the Boeing 737 where I was finally able to sit inside a Boeing cockpit. I believe all in all, if you are an aircraft fanatic who is looking to kick start your career, a master’s in aerospace Vehicle design from Cranfield is the perfect platform for it.

I would suggest before making any final decisions, try and network with the alumni on LinkedIn as they will help you clarify your doubts better because they hold real time experiences.

Let me know if you have more questions. You can reach out to a Cranfield alumni on LinkedIn; they are normally quite happy to spare some minutes to potential students .
All the best!

Cranfield Aerospace Vehicle Design Student
(Original post by tyw7)
If anybody is taking the course I would like to find out about the course application process and the class contents.
tyw7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Thanks for your response.

I would like to know what the class environment is like? I do aerospace engineering from Swansea University. What would you say would be the biggest challenge for me?
(Original post by Cranfield University)
Hello tyw7

Hope all is well
The course structure of MSc Aerospace vehicle Design has a taught module generally delivered from October to March (or March-August for the March intake). Students also have an extensive choice of optional modules to match their specific interests. However, the students are assessed via examinations for the mandatory modules. These examinations will add up to 10% of your overall grade.

The group project which is 50% of the grade is a distinctive and unique feature of the course. This teamwork project takes place from October to March (or March-August for the March intake), and recreates a virtual industrial environment bringing together students with various experience levels and different nationalities into one integrated design team.
Each team member is given the responsibility for the detailed design of a significant part of the aircraft, for example, forward fuselage, fuel system, or navigation system. The project progresses a design from the conceptual phase through to the preliminary and detail design phases. Students are required to run project meetings, produce engineering drawings and conduct detailed analyses of their design. Problem solving and project co-ordination must be undertaken on a team and individual basis. At the end of the project, the group is required to report and present findings to a panel of up to 200 senior engineers from industry and academia.

The individual research project element (40% of the grade) aims to provide the training necessary for you to apply knowledge from the taught elements to research and takes place from March to September (or October-February for the March intake). The project may be theoretical and/or experimental and can be selected from a range of topics related to the course as suggested by teaching staff, your employer or even focused on your own area of interest.

As far as the student life is concerned, the experience as a current AVD student has been impeccable thus far. From the start of the course, I was required to take part in two acrobatic flights with an expert pilot in which I got to experience various manoeuvres such as stall turn, stall spin and etc. Moreover, there are tons of free museum visits arranged through the administration. During my tenure as an AVD student I was lucky enough to tour both Brooklands Museum and Royal Airforce Museum. Through these visits, I had the opportunity to get on board the famous Concorde aircraft as well as many more. In addition to these museum tours, I also had the opportunity to tour in the Nimrod as well as in the Boeing 737 where I was finally able to sit inside a Boeing cockpit. I believe all in all, if you are an aircraft fanatic who is looking to kick start your career, a master’s in aerospace Vehicle design from Cranfield is the perfect platform for it.

I would suggest before making any final decisions, try and network with the alumni on LinkedIn as they will help you clarify your doubts better because they hold real time experiences.

Let me know if you have more questions. You can reach out to a Cranfield alumni on LinkedIn; they are normally quite happy to spare some minutes to potential students .
All the best!

Cranfield Aerospace Vehicle Design Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Sep '19
  • Cranfield University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Are cats selfish

Yes (128)
60.66%
No (83)