Modern Languages A-level Watch

NicoleBoat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Is doing Modern Languages/French a good A-level? Do unis look down on it? what is the workload like? Is it fun? Add more opinions to it too.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
inoubliable
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
So I'm doing a German A-Level right now.

Universities definitely do NOT look down on them. Language, especially MFL, A-Levels are some of the hardest there are, especially French and German. They are extremely difficult and a lot of work, but if you thoroughly enjoy the language, you're really love it, because you'll learn a lot more about the culture and politics of the country, and how that compares to the UK, and it will really help develop your French.

My German teacher once told me, obviously this may be biased, that an admission tutor at quite a prestigious university (won't say the name in case it was not fully true) told her he'd take a C in an MFL, like German, over an A* in things like business studies. This is perhaps exaggerated, but shows how much unis love mfl
NicoleBoat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by inoubliable)

Universities definitely do NOT look down on them. Language, especially MFL, A-Levels are some of the hardest there are, especially French and German. They are extremely difficult and a lot of work, but if you thoroughly enjoy the language, you're really love it, because you'll learn a lot more about the culture and politics of the country, and how that compares to the UK, and it will really help develop your French.

My German teacher once told me, obviously this may be biased, that an admission tutor at quite a prestigious university (won't say the name in case it was not fully true) told her he'd take a C in an MFL, like German, over an A* in things like business studies. This is perhaps exaggerated, but shows how much unis love mfl
Does it matter if I havent done Languages GCSE? Will it be harder for me than people who have done it at GCSE?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jostephens
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi, it's definitely going to be difficult for you if you haven't done it at GCSE, if your school lets you do it at A-level without doing at GCSE, then perhaps they have amazing facilities and a lot of guidance. MFL A-levels are really hard, I do 2 at the moment(I'm in Year 12) and I personally don't think that I could have done them at A-level without my GCSE's. Your school might let you do an AS level, so that might be the better option. Check your school website for requirements, because they might need you to have taken MFL at GCSE.
(Original post by NicoleBoat)
Does it matter if I havent done Languages GCSE? Will it be harder for me than people who have done it at GCSE?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by inoubliable)

This definitely isn't true. Getting a C in a language, like many subjects, is extremely doable (without much effort). Gaining an A*, on the other hand, for any subject is incredibly difficult. Moreover, universities, including Oxford and Cambridge, have repeatedly said that there really isn't a hierarchy for subjects and that most standard subjects like a language or a social science are considered equal. A lot of false information unfortunately continues to be perpetuated by misinformed students and teachers.

As for the difficulty of a subject, that wholly depends on the student and how they find the course. I did French, Spanish, History and English Lit and I personally found my languages to be the easiest. I actually don't understand this contemporary myth that plagues high schools - that languages are impossibly difficult. They're not. They're just like any other subject where if you work hard you'll do well.

That said, I'm an advocate for foreign language education (considering that I did a degree in languages) and I wholeheartedly recommend anyone to study a language, be it for A level or otherwise. They're very well respected and display a unique skill that many other subjects don't - consistency. To do well in languages, you have to consistently soak in information to be able to produce it. You can't really cram a language over-night. On the other hand, you can cram subjects like History etc over-night (which I did). In that sense, studying a foreign language will show to admission tutors that you have a very valuable skill which many others may not have.
Last edited by Quick-use; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads