For which year of TC should I apply? Watch

--nino--
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I apologize if it is a dumb question but everything here is very new to me. I am starting my final year of non-law course this September, finishing/graduating in July 2020. I was wondering if I should apply for TC 2021 or for TC 2022?
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by --nino--)
I apologize if it is a dumb question but everything here is very new to me. I am starting my final year of non-law course this September, finishing/graduating in July 2020. I was wondering if I should apply for TC 2021 or for TC 2022?
2022, you will need to do a year-long GDL and an LPC for 6 - 9 months.
--nino--
Rep:
?
I see, thank you a lot. Actually, I was wondering about another thing as well. If the deadline for TC of 2022 is in June or July and I am supposed to start GDL in September 2020 then how would they possibly sponsor it? Surely it would take more than a few months to give me a TC, right?
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I see, thank you a lot. Actually, I was wondering about another thing as well. If the deadline for TC of 2022 is in June or July and I am supposed to start GDL in September 2020 then how would they possibly sponsor it? Surely it would take more than a few months to give me a TC, right?
Who said anything about them sponsoring the GDL lol

(They'll reimburse the cost of the GDL if that's firm policy)
--nino--
Rep:
?
Pinsent Masons, White&Case- they are supposed to cover both GDL&LPC costs and both have the application closing dates in July. They also don't reimburses the costs. That's why I was confused about the deadlines. How is that supposed to work?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Who said anything about them sponsoring the GDL lol

(They'll reimburse the cost of the GDL if that's firm policy)
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Pinsent Masons, White&Case- they are supposed to cover both GDL&LPC costs and both have the application closing dates in July. They also don't reimburses the costs. That's why I was confused about the deadlines. How is that supposed to work?
Well, that's that. They're happy to pay for stuff prospectively but are cheapskates if you ask them to reimburse anything.

This isn't uncommon btw - I know of at least one MC firm that will only reimburse the tuition fees for the LPC, but not its £10k maintenance grant, if you get a TC after you've completed the course.
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Reimbursement depends on the firm. If you need to finance the GDL with a grant then it's best to do this with a TC offer in hand, as there is no guarantee a firm will reimburse you, unless they specifically state that they will.
--nino--
Rep:
?
So even if the firms state that they will finance the GDL/LLP and their deadlines are in July, I am still expected to pay for GDL? Because there is no chance I would have a TC in two months after submitting my application
(Original post by Edminzodo)
Reimbursement depends on the firm. If you need to finance the GDL with a grant then it's best to do this with a TC offer in hand, as there is no guarantee a firm will reimburse you, unless they specifically state that they will.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
So even if the firms state that they will finance the GDL/LLP and their deadlines are in July, I am still expected to pay for GDL? Because there is no chance I would have a TC in two months after submitting my application
Best if you contact them and ask. I suspect that they'll expect you to stump up for the GDL and possibly reimburse you when you get the TC, depending on firm policy
--nino--
Rep:
?
I see, will do. Thank you for help
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Best if you contact them and ask. I suspect that they'll expect you to stump up for the GDL and possibly reimburse you when you get the TC, depending on firm policy
The University of Law Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Numerous firms will cover the cost of your GDL and LPC and also provide a maintenance grant for both years. You are certainly doing the right thing by thinking this far ahead!

The applications for 2022 training contracts will usually open around September of this year and have various closing dates (usually the earliest are in December).

Which subject are you studying at the moment? And are you planning on applying for a vacation scheme or directly for a training contract?
--nino--
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Thank you, I am studying Law, but in overseas, as such it isn't a qualifying Law degree and I have to do GDL.
I am still trying to decide whether or not I can do the vacation scheme (because of Visa). I know how my chances sound without Vacation scheme, but I am fluent in 2 more languages besides English and my Native language. Also, worked as a legal intern in US Embassy+ UNO. Hopefully, that would be enough for some of those firms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (121)
19.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.32%
No I am happy with my course choice (351)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.79%

Watched Threads