The Student Room Group

Going to work for the EU in Geneva - AMA

I'm starting a new job in September, working for an EU agency in Geneva.

The job is liaising with NGOs who are represented in UN bodies in Geneva, drawing up reports on climate change issues and explaining them (and running discussions on them) to various EU bodies and national government agencies.

I'm pretty excited about it - I've worked for quite a while in NGOs (including a global climate change activism one which is US-based) and so it's just the right job for me.

Not posting this to show off (more than a certain amount :teehee:) but I hope to talk more on TSR about the work and be encouraging to people who are active, or care about acting, on the Climate Emergency.

AMA. :yep: :bigsmile:
Reply 1
How's your French?
Original post by UWS
How's your French?

Non-horrible. :teehee:

Better in German and Italian though.
hey well done you ! that sounds like a great job.

:borat:
Congrats.

If you had to choose, what do you think is your favourite benefit of global warming? Beyond the mid-December sun bathing in Great Yarmouth.
Original post by the bear
hey well done you ! that sounds like a great job.

:borat:

Thanks - I'm looking forward to it heaps, but also a bit scared. :lol:
Original post by Notoriety
Congrats.

If you had to choose, what do you think is your favourite benefit of global warming? Beyond the mid-December sun bathing in Great Yarmouth.

Hee hee. My favorite benefit would be that it will one day eliminate Lincolnshire. No, just kidding. Sorry Lincs! :blush:

It's going to be hard to see benefits in the future. People comfort themselves with ideas like 'Siberia will be nice and warm so more land and crops' but it won't be like that, the Tundra permafrost will collapse leaving behind a worthless wasteland, whilst heat and desertification destroys valuable farmlands in places like the Mediterranean and the Mid-West of the United States. This process is already developing at speed.

The only really big benefit is that things are going to get so bad that eventually people will be driven to cooperate better, to sacrifice, to give up addictions to wealth and comfort in parts of the world where those things appear to matter and drive towards common goals that benefit genuine human values.

Quick Reply

Latest