Final Year University Results *HELP* Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Asking for a friend;

I got my final year results and i failed 1 exam but got over 60% in all other coursework and exams. I failed that one exam as i have an ongoing illness that occurs regularly and i have been referred to hospital.
My university automatically refers anyone that has failed X exam and makes them resit it in August. However they are capped at 40% and 40% caps your overall grade to a 2:2. I have done extremely well and would have gotten a 2:1 or 1st however because of my illness i failed that one exam. Is there anything i can do? I did not report the illness before the exam as i thought i'd be able to operate however it occurred the night before the exam again.
I have evidence from my GP and Hospital. Is there anything that can be done e.g. remove the cap?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Asking for a friend;

I got my final year results and i failed 1 exam but got over 60% in all other coursework and exams. I failed that one exam as i have an ongoing illness that occurs regularly and i have been referred to hospital.
My university automatically refers anyone that has failed X exam and makes them resit it in August. However they are capped at 40% and 40% caps your overall grade to a 2:2. I have done extremely well and would have gotten a 2:1 or 1st however because of my illness i failed that one exam. Is there anything i can do? I did not report the illness before the exam as i thought i'd be able to operate however it occurred the night before the exam again.
I have evidence from my GP and Hospital. Is there anything that can be done e.g. remove the cap?
they could put an appeal in with the medical evidence
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Asking for a friend;

As stated all you can do is appeal, get support from a tutor and most importantly provide evidence. I guess hope maybe the can count the resit as a first attempt and claim the first exam should never have happened.

Unfortunately the rules are setup so you are normally required to provide the evidence prior to the exam as some people abuse the system...

I guess appeal & hope, I recommend picking up the phone and speaking to the course director, your tutor and anyone who in management at your faculty, how decent your personal reputation is could go along way here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.46%
No I am happy with my course choice (455)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.86%

Watched Threads