The Student Room Group

BSc in Quantity Surveying but want career in software/business analyst

Hi guys,

I’m looking for some advice, I’m currently going into my final year this September studying Quantity Surveying.

However, i’m really interested in IT and want to be a software developer or business analyst.

My goals are to be in a sector where i’m financially wealthy i.e to be able to afford rolex and buy a bmw m4 etc.

Do i stick out my final year in Quantity Surveying and do maybe conversion MSc in Computer Science or scrap the degree and start a fresh.

Will Quantity Surveying provide the same income as IT if i stick to it?

Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by kcboy
Hi guys,

I’m looking for some advice, I’m currently going into my final year this September studying Quantity Surveying.

However, i’m really interested in IT and want to be a software developer or business analyst.

My goals are to be in a sector where i’m financially wealthy i.e to be able to afford rolex and buy a bmw m4 etc.

Do i stick out my final year in Quantity Surveying and do maybe conversion MSc in Computer Science or scrap the degree and start a fresh.

Thanks

Hey, sorry you haven't had an answer to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon :smile:

Can I ask, do you have an interest in CompSci, or is it that you want to be in a role that makes more money?
Reply 2
Thanks, no i do have a genuine interest in computer science. I nearly picked this for my BSc
Original post by kcboy
Thanks, no i do have a genuine interest in computer science. I nearly picked this for my BSc

Okay, thank you for clarifying! :smile:

Personally I would stay stick it out and then do a conversion masters - or at least, that's what I'd do if I was in your position; you're in your final year, so to me it would make sense to finish and have something to show for that! Does your uni have any kind of advisor that you could also talk to about this?
Reply 4
Original post by kcboy
Hi guys,

Thanks

Will QS provide the same income as IT? I'd guess for the well paid jobs the skill sets are somewhat different. I doubt the average QS who was smart enough for IT doesnt earn more than the average IT worker - with some high salaries available in each profession. I wouldn't drop out of a degree now - it looks very flaky.
Reply 5
Ok, so you'd recommend to stick the QS degree out and do the conversion course in Computer Science after. I feel like the salaries are similar in both professions but that you can reach higher earnings it IT. I'm currently 28 approaching 29 years old so want to make the right choice promptly.
Reply 6
Given that you are about to enter the final year you should stick with it. You won’t get funding for a full three or four year degree so it’s not like changing course after the first year.
Reply 7
Yeah true, it’s technically my first year but i jumped onto the second year because I already have a HNC in Construction

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending