The Student Room Group

Aged 25 and stuck in a rut.. need career advice

I’m 25 years old and really lacking direction in life. I studied biomedical science at uni (achieved 2:1), but although there were some aspects of the degree I enjoyed, for the most part it wasn’t particularly interesting to me. I also disliked working in a lab, hence moving away from this field to try accounting.

I worked in an accounting firm for 2 years after uni, and although I don’t HATE it, again it’s not particularly a passion of mine. I left my job here to travel the world where I did various short-term jobs (farm work, labouring, delivery driver) to fund my travels. I am now home, and due to the ease of getting a job with relevant experience, I’m again working as an accounts assistant.

Again I don’t really hate the job, but again I don’t love it either. I feel stuck in a rut as I’m still on a rubbish wage aged 25, still living at home and with no real passion at work. I understand the only way to progress and reach the higher money is to sit professional exams. I’m not afraid of hard work, but I feel as though I should be working towards something I would LOVE to do if I am putting in such effort.

I just feel stuck as nothing jumps out at me as something I’d love to do, so I can’t commit to beginning the right path to progression and happiness.

I really just want to be happy. Happy at work, on a good wage and work/life balance. I suppose I’m not really sure what my question is, but just looking for some advice about my situation.

Thanks in advance.
You've talked a lot about what you've done, but not about what you enjoy. It sounds like you want a career you can be passionate about- which is fine, but it doesn't sound like you know exactly what that is?

Have you considered seeing a careers advice service, who might be able to point you in the right direction?

Given your degree, have you looked at the range of NHS careers available (not just in biomedicine) to see if anything sounds like a good fit?

Alternatively, maybe think about the things about your jobs that you do enjoy, and how you could find a role that involves more of them?

Do you like:
-Working as part of a team?
-Working with the public?
-Having work that feels meaningful?
-Being able to make decisions?
-Having variety in your working day?
-Working with young people?
-Working with animals?
-Being creative in your work?

It's really hard when you don't know what to do, but sometimes even just browsing through the jobs available locally can give you some ideas/inspiration!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending