How long does it take you to adjust to a new car? Watch

ventrx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So just passed my driving test last week, learned with a 1.0 fiesta and have just bought myself a 1.4 Peugeot 206 and the difference in how they drive is insane.

My car being alot older the clutch feels veeeery different which i admit has led to a couple stalls so far, the pedals also feel very different and closer together which can lead to some fumbling on the pedals.

Just wondering how long everybody else took to adjust to a new car or whether they had a real adjustment period atall.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ventrx)
So just passed my driving test last week, learned with a 1.0 fiesta and have just bought myself a 1.4 Peugeot 206 and the difference in how they drive is insane.

My car being alot older the clutch feels veeeery different which i admit has led to a couple stalls so far, the pedals also feel very different and closer together which can lead to some fumbling on the pedals.

Just wondering how long everybody else took to adjust to a new car or whether they had a real adjustment period atall.
Moved to cars and motoring
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It depends on the 2 cars in question. It can be as short as 5 miles.

Try wearing trainers or plimsolls when you drive for best pedal feel and control.

And big congratulations on passing your test. You have your freedom now. So that you can go anywhere any day you want.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The more you drive the easier it gets. I can hop in pretty much anything now and have the clutch/brakes down within the first few metres, but some awkward ones take a couple of miles and some concentration to keep the shifts unnoticeable. As a new driver you'll find it very difficult to drive anything other than what you've learnt in because you learnt to drive that car rather than learnt to drive full stop, as far as the finesse of the controls is concerned. Learning that takes time and practice.
Satyr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A couple of weeks to get used to the steering and the accelerator.
Knockout
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'd say a couple of weeks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads