george0909
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, i’m 99% sure i’m going to apply to oxford to study psychology and i’m just after some book recommendations that can expand my knowledge of the subject and demonstrate my interest and enthusiasm. The one that comes to mind os Freud’s ‘The Interpretation Of Dreams’ but any other recommendations will be helpful

Thanks
Afterlife?
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oxfords experimental psychology course there’s a lot of neuroscience and biology so if you talk about some Freud thing it won’t be the best tbh
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by george0909)
Hi, i’m 99% sure i’m going to apply to oxford to study psychology and i’m just after some book recommendations that can expand my knowledge of the subject and demonstrate my interest and enthusiasm. The one that comes to mind os Freud’s ‘The Interpretation Of Dreams’ but any other recommendations will be helpful

Thanks
Freud is more related to different types of counselling and theories. The thing that will help you the most is starting to familiarise yourself with data and stats, as well as how to write social science essays. That way you can get a good grasp of what your assignments are asking of you and get good grades. Your degree will give you a lot of knowledge and plenty to pique your interest. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you lists of books to look at for further reading.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
pretty sure oxford has a suggested reading list for psychology if you look it up. bear in mind the course is heavy scientifically eg. lots of biology so it would be good to read scientific books concerning psychology.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
See their official suggested reading list: http://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxfo..._June_2013.pdf

As mentioned above, their course is very much focused on the scientific side of psychology (not "armchair psychology", hence the designation of the course as experimental psychology (there is also PPL, but the psychology part from that is the same as in EP, you just do less of it as I can tell). Following from this, as you can see in their suggested reading, it is primarily focused on aspects of cognitive neuroscience and neurobiology as it relates to psychology.

I don't think many, if any, psychology courses in the UK are going to teach you much about Freud. His "theories" are very much out of fashion now, and even his successors (e.g. Jung) don't seem to be so compelling in any dogmatic way to clinical psychologists and counsellors (although some elements of those techniques do seem to have been co-opted where they have been demonstrated to work). Cognitive approaches seem to be predominant, underpinned by biological elements.

Of course I'm not a psychologist, so the above is very much the view of a layperson looking in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (23)
6.32%
Uncertainty around my education (40)
10.99%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (43)
11.81%
Lack of purpose or motivation (49)
13.46%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (18)
4.95%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (17)
4.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (38)
10.44%
Financial worries (26)
7.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (22)
6.04%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.75%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (37)
10.16%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (26)
7.14%

Watched Threads