Can you be happy single? Watch

Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, don't give up your single status for a controlling idiot who treats you like dirt. Always be willing to walk away if necessary.

I have been single for a long time, so would not be scared to give someone up if I had to. The person for me would have to let me be what I need to be. I would not like to give up TSR, for example. My ex husband's attitude was, "it's my way or the highway". He obliterated my entire personality.
(Original post by Profesh)
When it comes to relationships, know that self-love is always the stronger negotiating position.
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Yes, don't give up your single status for a controlling idiot who treats you like dirt. Always be willing to walk away if necessary.

I have been single for a long time, so would not be scared to give someone up if I had to. The person for me would have to let me be what I need to be. I would not like to give up TSR, for example. My ex husband's attitude was, "it's my way or the highway". He obliterated my entire personality.
Not only that, but if you can't be happy alone, then obviously you aren't happy with yourself. If you aren't happy with yourself, you have no hope of being happy with someone else.

It's easy to understand why some people only pursue temporary physical relationships, though I've never been able to bring myself to do it.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Happiness comes from within. If you love yourself, you should have no problem with being single.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
True, Tootles, but the media, movies etc sell an unrealistic ideal of being in a happy, always-awesome relationship, so some people, if they do not have this, feel they are a failure. The guy who sits next to me at work says I am a "victim of circumstances". I just say I've been very unlucky, that's all.
(Original post by Tootles)
Not only that, but if you can't be happy alone, then obviously you aren't happy with yourself. If you aren't happy with yourself, you have no hope of being happy with someone else.

It's easy to understand why some people only pursue temporary physical relationships, though I've never been able to bring myself to do it.
Tootles
Report 1 week ago
True, Tootles, but the media, movies etc sell an unrealistic ideal of being in a happy, always-awesome relationship, so some people, if they do not have this, feel they are a failure. The guy who sits next to me at work says I am a "victim of circumstances". I just say I've been very unlucky, that's all.
I tend to think of myself as unlucky, too. I also know I'm probably not the kind of person who's well-suited to relationships anyway - which is the way in which I'm unlucky, I imagine.
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you manage to get pussy while being single then I imagine so.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fermion.)
I am happy being single.

However that doesn’t mean I don’t feel lonely. I do sometimes. But I’ve learnt to do things on my own and to try to enjoy my own company.
No Fermion. You said it : you like being single but you feel lonely! Is this a contradiction in terms? And you try to enjoy your own company? what does that actually mean in practice? How old are you?
Last edited by mgi; 1 week ago
Spacewalker17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, you definitely can. You have so much time for yourself and can do anything to make you feel better, like seriously! To me, you have the time to experience new things and work more on your hobbies and speaking financially you do get to spend less money than you would if you were in a relationship. Surely you may feel lonely from times to times, but in some cases it’s not all about having a boyfriend/girlfriend to make you happy. There were already so many cases in which I’ve proved myself the opposite.
Last edited by Spacewalker17; 1 week ago
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i like relationships, but the men I meet are unworthy of me, and they tell me so. They tell me they "like the way I live my life", but I don't like the way they live theirs, that's for sure.
I tend to think of myself as unlucky, too. I also know I'm probably not the kind of person who's well-suited to relationships anyway - which is the way in which I'm unlucky, I imagine.
Tootles
Report 1 week ago
i like relationships, but the men I meet are unworthy of me, and they tell me so. They tell me they "like the way I live my life", but I don't like the way they live theirs, that's for sure.
How do you mean, they way they live their life?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They are lazy, they are unfaithful, they put themselves first, they are dodgy (turn out to be drug dealer etc). One expected me to babysit his daughter, but just shouted at my kids. They would say, "you're much nicer than me, you'll find someone else".
How do you mean, they way they live their life?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BraemarEwan)
Is it possible to be happy when your single ??
Yes... this generation is so obsessed with being in a relationship with someone and being with someone instead of being able to be happy by themselves and develop themselves... most people aren’t even ready or mature enough to be in a good relationship anyways but they’re so dependent on other people it’s ridiculous. People really need to learn how to be independent
Tootles
Report 1 week ago
They are lazy, they are unfaithful, they put themselves first, they are dodgy (turn out to be drug dealer etc). One expected me to babysit his daughter, but just shouted at my kids. They would say, "you're much nicer than me, you'll find someone else".
That's pretty *****y :/ I'm sorry.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hell yea. Cos then I can fart, burp, have morning breath, cig breath, beer breath, spend dosh on MYSELF like with no complaints. I still do all of this in a relationship but it's not easy :nope: lol am I rite lads It's****ingWOODY gjd800
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I do things myself and don’t rely on anybody to make me happy. But that doesn’t mean you can’t feel lonely from time to time. It’s a natural human feeling.
(Original post by mgi)
No Fermion. You said it : you like being single but you feel lonely! Is this a contradiction in terms? And you try to enjoy your own company? what does that actually mean in practice? How old are you?
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Hell yea. Cos then I can fart, burp, have morning breath, cig breath, beer breath, spend dosh on MYSELF like with no complaints. I still do all of this in a relationship but it's not easy :nope: lol am I rite lads It's****ingWOODY gjd800
Yeah, it's either, do all those things and in peace if you're single, or do all those things and get moaned at for them if you're in a relationship or just don't do them if you don't wanna get moaned at :rofl:
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
Yeah, it's either, do all those things and in peace if you're single, or do all those things and get moaned at for them if you're in a relationship or just don't do them if you don't wanna get moaned at :rofl:
Reminds me of when you said Chloe *****es at you over dishes in the sink lol so wagwan with that brunette?? Who you met at the gym.
Skeletonclique21
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ive always been single and am happy. not ready for a relationship tbh, mature enough but would prefer to be single unless the right person comes along i guess
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Reminds me of when you said Chloe *****es at you over dishes in the sink lol so wagwan with that brunette?? Who you met at the gym.
Yep, as much as I like the girl, she's a reminder of why I'm single :rofl:
Don't think anything's gonna happen with the brunette tbh, at least not for the foreseeable future. She's always travelling for work and stuff so I hardly get to see her. Would almost be like being in a LDR lol, not my cup of tea that. Shame, cause otherwise she's such a great girl. We're staying friends, I did try it on and see if I could get a second FWB on the go but she's having none of that lol, the only reason we banged already was cause at the time it looked like we were gonna slowly get serious but things didn't turn out like that obviously.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
PRSOM
If I am very aware of the abbreviation, you gave me a reputation and share my thoghts.

I personally don't think that being single is a good solution in the long run, sooner or later we need a partner in our life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads