What is the hardest science? (SQA) Watch

StudentForSQA
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m studying all 3 sciences since last year and continuing them this year for S4 at National Five level. Last year I did 1 unit in all 3 sciences and gave an end of year school exam on them. My results came to be 90% for physics (A*), 88% for Biology (A*) and 84% for Chemistry (A) (needed 1 more mark for A*). I however, struggled mostly with Biology, yet got most highest marks in regular class tests in them compared to the other 2 sciences expect from my school exam. I personally feel that Biology is the most hardest science to be taught and Chemistry is the most hardest science to answer questions on. However physics literacy questions such as using your knowledge of physics which came up in my exam about planets and gravitational field strength I got 3 out of 3. All the exam were 50 marks and had 1 hour to complete them each but we were allowed to sit for another 15 minutes of interval time for them (10 multiple choice and 40 written based questions). For class tests we have 45 minutes for 30 marks in all science tests. I personally feel that the SQA exam pressures time for Nat five Physics as it’s marks are too high on paper 2 (110 marks).

Level of difficulty to be taught
Hardest :
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

Hardest in SQA exams:
Physics
Biology
Chemistry

Hardest to use knowledge of in problem solving questions:
Physics and Biology
Chemistry.

I just don’t understand what went wrong in my school chemistry exam :/. Share your opinions!
Last edited by StudentForSQA; 1 week ago
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You got 84%- nothing went wrong...You still got an A and A*s don't exist in the Scottish system (which band you get is irrelevant for 99.9% of unis and it isn't displayed on your certificate).
Which one is most difficult to be taught is hugely subjective and dependant on who is doing the teaching of it. Likewise, which one is objectively hardest is impossible to say, as it varies depending on the person, and their experience of learning/being taught the subject.
StudentForSQA
Rep:
?
True. I feel like the school exams though Chemistry was made a little bit more difficult (Although I find it the most easiest science in my opinion). It’s good to see that A* don’t exist, my school just marks tests and school exams in that way. Also have a question, I want to study Optometry and don’t know whether to do Advanced higher Chemistry or Advanced higher maths. Unfortunately physics is the most important subject for it, but my school doesn’t do AH physics and I don’t want to go to another school for it. I want to study Optometry at Glasgow Caledonian University yet I really haven’t decided what highers or AH to do. Just wondering if you can help.
(Original post by Labrador99)
You got 84%- nothing went wrong...You still got an A and A*s don't exist in the Scottish system (which band you get is irrelevant for 99.9% of unis and it isn't displayed on your certificate).
Which one is most difficult to be taught is hugely subjective and dependant on who is doing the teaching of it. Likewise, which one is objectively hardest is impossible to say, as it varies depending on the person, and their experience of learning/being taught the subject.
goldilocks12
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StudentForSQA)
True. I feel like the school exams though Chemistry was made a little bit more difficult (Although I find it the most easiest science in my opinion). It’s good to see that A* don’t exist, my school just marks tests and school exams in that way. Also have a question, I want to study Optometry and don’t know whether to do Advanced higher Chemistry or Advanced higher maths. Unfortunately physics is the most important subject for it, but my school doesn’t do AH physics and I don’t want to go to another school for it. I want to study Optometry at Glasgow Caledonian University yet I really haven’t decided what highers or AH to do. Just wondering if you can help.
According to the Cali website you need English, maths, two sciences and one other higher to get into optometry. They probably won’t mind which AH subjects you study if you get the Higher requirements at the end of 5th year.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
StudentForSQA
Rep:
?
AABBB by the end of 5th year... I thought it was by the end of 6th year, no way will I be able to get a B in higher English..... I’m predicting I will get AABBC or AAABC, I could also fail English as I’m really not good at it.
Higher Business Management - A
Higher Physics - A
Higher Chemistry - A/B (More chances of A)
Higher maths - B (Could get an A)
Higher English - C/D
Just my prediction.
(Original post by goldilocks12)
According to the Cali website you need English, maths, two sciences and one other higher to get into optometry. They probably won’t mind which AH subjects you study if you get the Higher requirements at the end of 5th year.
Last edited by StudentForSQA; 1 week ago
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Exams won't all be the same difficulty- both between subjects and year to year within individual subjects. This applies to how you find them (as there may be others who found it to be the easiest of the 3 you did), and also how the cohort as a whole performs. Sometimes you'll find an exam easier/more difficult when others find the opposite. Sometimes the whole cohort doing an exam will perform better/worse than expected (in which case the SQA has procedures to negate any advantage/disadvantage if the numbers show that they made the paper easier or harder than intended).

In terms of optometry, as Goldilocks has said it doesn't really matter as AHs aren't required- you don't need to decide that just now though, so don't worry! Also keep yourself open to other options in terms of what/where you study, and instead focus on getting the best set of grades you can achieve in S4 & then in S5, which will then leave lots of options open to you.

AABBB by the end of 5th year... I thought it was by the end of 6th year, no way will I be able to get a B in higher English..... I’m predicting I will get AABBC or AAABC, I could also fail English as I’m really not good at it.
Higher Physics - A
Higher English - C/D
Just my prediction.
I don't mean to be so direct about this, but the reality is if you tell yourself that you won't be able to get a B in it, that's a good way of ensuring you won't get a B in it...You can't possibly predict what grades you will get in 2 years time with any reasonable degree of accuracy.

Glasgow Caledonian also don't specify that those grades have to be achieved in S5, or that you even have to do English
Last edited by Labrador99; 1 week ago
goldilocks12
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Higher Physics - A
Higher English - C/D
Just my prediction.
You’ve only just gone into 4th year so you still have a long time. My predictions for my Highers at the start of 4th year would have been wayyy off! They still might make you a conditional offer for your sixth year exams if you’re close to their requirements by the end of fifth year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish