Core maths Watch

foofung
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I've never heard of core maths before my sixth form induction day and tbh I've googled it and still have no clue exactly what it is or how good/useful it is... Be honest with me, is core maths any good? 'cause I've never seen any unis ask for it...
theeetimdoherty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm not sure about your specific exam board but I think core maths is the same as pure maths (algebra, calculus, etc.) as opposed to the side areas like statistics or mechanics. You take A Level Maths and I believe core maths (pure maths) is just the main part of it. Might be wrong tho.
(Original post by foofung)
I've never heard of core maths before my sixth form induction day and tbh I've googled it and still have no clue exactly what it is or how good/useful it is... Be honest with me, is core maths any good? 'cause I've never seen any unis ask for it...
ItsMaaad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Uh I don't know much about it but I'm pretty sure its more to do with real life mathematics, so calculating VAT etc. I've also seen like standard deviation questions which is in a level maths (stats), but I think it is simplified. Regarding is it useful, it depends on what you're taking it for, if you're studying a level maths then no - its pretty useless. However, if not then I guess its a way to explain to uni's that you've further explored the maths curriculum past gcse level. Hope this was somewhat useful
ItsMaaad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Uh I don't know much about it but I'm pretty sure its more to do with real life mathematics, so calculating VAT etc. I've also seen like standard deviation questions which is in a level maths (stats), but I think it is simplified. Regarding is it useful, it depends on what you're taking it for, if you're studying a level maths then no - its pretty useless. However, if not then I guess its a way to explain to uni's that you've further explored the maths curriculum past gcse level. Hope this was somewhat helpful.
BuryMathsTutor
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
https://amsp.org.uk/universities/core-maths
(Original post by foofung)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads