New 'Little Mermaid' casting and other Live Action Disney Watch

Delenai24
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
The casting of Halle Bailey as Ariel in the new live-action 'Little Mermaid' has unfortunately provoked disgusting reactions from racists all over social media. I found many comments and arguments appalling, ignorant and hypocritical. As far as a casting choice, Bailey seems like a very talented and beautiful actor to play Ariel and I'm sure that she will do wonderfully.

However, there is a problem I have with this choice and, even more so, re-makes in general. In general, I don't like re-makes. It might be my love for cartoons and anime, but I find that re-makes almost never add more to the story, characters or world of the original. They're usually cheap, drowning in CGI. I always have a suspicion that the motivation behind them is not the further develop of a beloved creation, but more so easy money. Of course, this isn't true all the time, but I would say that it mostly is. So, when I see that Disney is casting a black actor in a RE-MAKE, I just can't help but feel like it's just a greedy stunt for money and to use an actor's race and culture for that really irritates me.

I feel the same way towards the all-women's re-makes that follow the SAME plot line of the original film with just awful comedy and cheap gimmicks. If Disney and Hollywood in general wants to make more diverse and representative films, why not original ones? Why not a completely new all-women's film. A good example of this would be 'Annihilation', a great film with excellently created all-female characters that follows an interesting plot line. 'The Hate U Give', I think, is a powerful film about police brutality and it has actually palpable, real characters that do a much better job of highlighting race issues than any 'Green Book' film ever could. At least to me, it seems that these two movies (and many others like them) are really underrated and overshadowed by these idiotic re-makes.

If Disney wants to make more inclusive and representative films I think they should put in more effort. I would love to see new and diverse Disney princesses and princes (and other characters) that have their own in-depth storyline, personality and relationships, with whom non-white children can relate to. Since they're going to make this new 'Little Mermaid' anyway, I just hope it actually demonstrates the effort and creativity (if any) with which Disney is working to diversify it's content.

I know that everyone has their opinion on these new films and mine might not be anything new. Please do let me know what you think after reading this. I might know the full-picture, I might be wrong in several cases, so I'd love to learn of other perspectives.

Thanks for reading.
MartinisSkip
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes, exactly what I keep saying!

I'm not bothered by the casting for this film, because chances are I'm not going to watch it, just like I haven't been to see the other live action remakes or an 'all new' female remake. There are no new ideas, and they're just trying to grab our money a new way, so why people would think that Disney are casting a black lead because they actually care about diversity is a strange to me. It would be more groundbreaking if they created another Disney princess that was black, because I'd rather take on the role of a well known black character than take on the role of a white one. I think my phrasing is quite clumsy, but atm I can't think of another way to say it - but I'm not meaning any offence, just that it's more empowering to already have that diverse character than to change one simply to gain points and more cash, and I wouldn't want to be the actor/actress that takes on that role.

I totally agree with your points about these 'new' female films, which are just exactly the same as their male original. I remember my friend telling me to go see the new Ghost Busters, asking me if I was really a feminist since I didn't want to. I wasn't really that into the original, why would I waste my money to go see a film which is exactly the same in every way but with female leads? Especially when I know that they're not doing it because they genuinely want women in these roles, but because they want the praise, attention, and money. Give me a new, great film with female leads and I'll go watch it any day, but I don't want to watch movies I've already seen back in the cinema so that these companies can try and right the wrongs of the past - or so they want to appear to be doing.

I know men got better roles more than women, as white people did (and they all still do). Still the fact that companies think they can use our knew values in order to generate more money, despite the fact that they're not doing anything, is the main thing that gets to me. I understand that people are welcoming it, because they want to see themselves in the cinema, and I guess if this is good for some people then I won't ruin their enjoyment. Personally, I'd much prefer having a new film with a new, badass character I can relate to, without watching the same film over and over.
rforlife3451
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
At first, I was thinking that perhaps it was time we added diversity to the Disney characters but it was none other than my black friends who corrected me on it. Their parents were saying that this was the perfect showcase of how people are trying to fight against racism in a way that is problematic. I mean imagine if Marilyn Monroe was recreated as black. I mean as 'fish' as you think she is, she is still such an iconic character. And at the end of the day, she is not the little 'fish', she is the little 'mermaid', meaning she is half human. I have nothing against the actress playing her, she is beautiful and talented but she is not a representation of how Ariel looks. Really, out of the billions of people who auditioned to be Ariel they chose the one who looks the least like her? She could be great at acting but this is a live-action remake??? Seems more like a marketing strategy to me, start controversy around it and then people will go watch it so the box office will be high. Plus Ariel's dad is the son of Poseidon who is historically known to be white, so how are they going to change history? If this wasn't a marketing strategy that they should have introduced a new Disney princess better than Ariel for all I care, like they did Elsa and now she is the most popular, but do not ruin our childhood. We have a certain image of her in our minds. If not, this is going to increase the issue because now people will be comparing a white Ariel and the Black Ariel. The Actress doesn't look 'Cute' or near 16. This is my opinion and no one has really changed my mind yet, all I get is swearing in return and no rational argument which makes me more confident with this opinion. If Ariel was made brown or Asian people would be Hella mad btw. Disney was such a huge part of my childhood. Disney is literally shaking in his grave. I really hope the actress proves me wrong and impresses me. I really do, I will be open-minded and go the movies to watch it. And btw this is not racist of me, it is not racist to want your favorite Disney princess to actually look like herself. Mulan looks like Mulan, Belle looks like Belle. Then they should have created a live action of Tiana. Sorry went on a bit of a rant, don't hate me though because this is my opinion and it could possibly change after seeing the movie.
rforlife3451
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
BTW the fish line was basically to reply to the people who are like well she is just a fish, no she is not a fish she is a 'MeRMaid'
(Original post by rforlife3451)
At first, I was thinking that perhaps it was time we added diversity to the Disney characters but it was none other than my black friends who corrected me on it. Their parents were saying that this was the perfect showcase of how people are trying to fight against racism in a way that is problematic. I mean imagine if Marilyn Monroe was recreated as black. I mean as 'fish' as you think she is, she is still such an iconic character. And at the end of the day, she is not the little 'fish', she is the little 'mermaid', meaning she is half human. I have nothing against the actress playing her, she is beautiful and talented but she is not a representation of how Ariel looks. Really, out of the billions of people who auditioned to be Ariel they chose the one who looks the least like her? She could be great at acting but this is a live-action remake??? Seems more like a marketing strategy to me, start controversy around it and then people will go watch it so the box office will be high. Plus Ariel's dad is the son of Poseidon who is historically known to be white, so how are they going to change history? If this wasn't a marketing strategy that they should have introduced a new Disney princess better than Ariel for all I care, like they did Elsa and now she is the most popular, but do not ruin our childhood. We have a certain image of her in our minds. If not, this is going to increase the issue because now people will be comparing a white Ariel and the Black Ariel. The Actress doesn't look 'Cute' or near 16. This is my opinion and no one has really changed my mind yet, all I get is swearing in return and no rational argument which makes me more confident with this opinion. If Ariel was made brown or Asian people would be Hella mad btw. Disney was such a huge part of my childhood. Disney is literally shaking in his grave. I really hope the actress proves me wrong and impresses me. I really do, I will be open-minded and go the movies to watch it. And btw this is not racist of me, it is not racist to want your favorite Disney princess to actually look like herself. Mulan looks like Mulan, Belle looks like Belle. Then they should have created a live action of Tiana. Sorry went on a bit of a rant, don't hate me though because this is my opinion and it could possibly change after seeing the movie.
Sorani
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's kinda suspect to me that the internet got super mad over a black girl being cast as Ariel but so much less over Jasmine being portrayed by a half-Indian/half-white actress over a Middle Eastern one - an absolutely conscious decision by Disney. Also, the casting in the live-action Disney films is the least of their issues (except maybe Watson in Beauty and the Beast, she really damaged a film already making bad decisions).
Mariam olokos
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To be fair, I can understand why people didn’t like the casting choice. I was always used to Ariel being ‘white’. That’s how I always saw her, and I’m not even white myself lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (1)
11.11%
They might tell the bully (1)
11.11%
I don't think they'd understand (2)
22.22%
It might lead to more bullying (2)
22.22%
There's nothing they could do (3)
33.33%

Watched Threads