Failed a master course and now applying for a new one Watch

Kaite Tamara
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone! Thank you for helping me with my issue. I am greatly appreciate your time and effort to writing your suggestion/advice.
Last edited by Kaite Tamara; 1 week ago
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Even if they offer you a place (which they probably will because of those international fees), I’m not convinced that it’s the right thing for you. Why not just start seeking employment with your 2:1? Are you really an entrepreneur? And if so, why do you need to study entrepreneurship (when most successful entrepreneurs haven't?) I’d get on with life rather than opting for this constant deferment of workplace engagement.
rcmotorboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's nice to know it was a year working towards the Masters, as you mentioned, maybe you thought the course wasn't for you. Also, during the time, it shouldn't hurt giving yourself time to think about how you may think to get what you would want as you complete a different course.

You made mistakes like everyone else and learn from them and it helps to become a better student. It should be accepted that you made a mistake and would like to try again but applying it on a different course. It doesn't seem so bad being a year from a Masters.
Kaite Tamara
Rep:
?
(Original post by rcmotorboy)
It's nice to know it was a year working towards the Masters, as you mentioned, maybe you thought the course wasn't for you. Also, during the time, it shouldn't hurt giving yourself time to think about how you may think to get what you would want as you complete a different course.

You made mistakes like everyone else and learn from them and it helps to become a better student. It should be accepted that you made a mistake and would like to try again but applying it on a different course. It doesn't seem so bad being a year from a Masters.
Hello rcmotorboy, thank you so much for your advice! i will definitively take that into account!
Kaite Tamara
Rep:
?
Hello DrSocSciences, thank you so much for your practical advice! Up until now I know that a Financial degree is not a suitable one for me. Yes, I want to open my business in the future, and I also know the fact that there are lots of business owners out there don't need a degree to become one (but do we know for the fact that how may failures did it take for them to eventually lead to the successful one? And do you know for sure whether they hire industry experts/take some short-courses or short-term training?). But I think there are still quite a number of entrepreneurs out there who fails in their initial business adventure (who don't get a chance to address their failure on the news and all we know on the media and the news are the successful ones). In my humble opinion, setting business in real life risks us money and reputation. Studying Entrepreneurship subject does not essentially mean I will become one. The subject and the modules that are taught for the course spark an interest in me and the fact that I have been working part-time at small businesses and assisting my bosses in most key activities makes me realise that i have a just-discovered-interest.

Of course I understand that there are so many expert people on this forum so I am all ears for any constructive guidance/advice/suggestion. Thank you again for your advice.
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
Even if they offer you a place (which they probably will because of those international fees), I’m not convinced that it’s the right thing for you. Why not just start seeking employment with your 2:1? Are you really an entrepreneur? And if so, why do you need to study entrepreneurship (when most successful entrepreneurs haven't?) I’d get on with life rather than opting for this constant deferment of workplace engagement.
Last edited by Kaite Tamara; 1 week ago
DrSocSciences
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Who is paying your international fees? What will be their ROI?
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
>MSc Entrepreneurship at Bournemouth University

worthless degree.

you don't become an entrepreneur by learning obscure theory, you become on by having an idea and the infrastructure to put it into practice.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kaite Tamara)
I joined Northumbria in Jan 2017 with a MSc Financial-related subject (it is a 2-year programme). However, I failed the course and only earned 40 credits in total (in 120 credits of the modules that were taught in 2 semesters - which was my 1st year of the programme). As an international student, my visa was curtailed and I had to go home earlier than my initial visa expiry date. I am now about to apply for a MSc Entrepreneurship at Bournemouth University.

The reason for my failure was all sort of everything: I moved to a new city which was Newcastle and i did not know anyone in there; illness ( i have medical evidence ); realise i dont like the subject; was not ready for a master course straight after 3 years of my undergraduate course. I got a 2:1 (narrowly missing 1 First) at Kingston University in 2016 in International Business.

I am writing my letter of explanation along with all my documents. i am extremely worried and nervous about this application and think i will be likely to receive a rejection. I am not sure how to address my failure in a way that does not seem like i am making an excuse for it? and any prediction of my application? Any advise/experience on this matter will be much appreciated. thank you so much!
Given your reasons for failing the first time, you'll need to demonstrate to your new university that your previous reasons have now been resolved and that you are ready to commit to your new course. I think that the admissions team may be concerned that you said moving to a new city (and not knowing anyone) was a huge influence on you, and also that you didn't like your previous master's subject. They need to know that you'll cope with moving to a new city this time (while still not knowing anyone), and also that you are more sure about your subject choice.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kaite Tamara)
Hello DrSocSciences, thank you so much for your practical advice! Up until now I know that a Financial degree is not a suitable one for me. Yes, I want to open my business in the future, and I also know the fact that there are lots of business owners out there don't need a degree to become one (but do we know for the fact that how may failures did it take for them to eventually lead to the successful one? And do you know for sure whether they hire industry experts/take some short-courses or short-term training?). But I think there are still quite a number of entrepreneurs out there who fails in their initial business adventure (who don't get a chance to address their failure on the news and all we know on the media and the news are the successful ones). In my humble opinion, setting business in real life risks us money and reputation. Studying Entrepreneurship subject does not essentially mean I will become one. The subject and the modules that are taught for the course spark an interest in me and the fact that I have been working part-time at small businesses and assisting my bosses in most key activities makes me realise that i have a just-discovered-interest.

Of course I understand that there are so many expert people on this forum so I am all ears for any constructive guidance/advice/suggestion. Thank you again for your advice.
You will be contributing to the higher education bubble - going to university to do a rather worthless course, costing more money and at the end not being able to get a job commensurate with your academic qualifications.
DrSocSciences
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Complete waste of effort, time and money imo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads