Is Student Finance giving 1 extra year of funding even if I did a foundation year? Watch

SirSteven
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I did my Foundation Year and I transferred for the Year One because the course was really bad and most teachers did not seem to care about their modules. The University I went to for Year 1 is in ranked in the 30s in the Complete University Guide and I feel I learnt a lot there, managing to get 68% overall for the year. However, at that Uni we have 5 exams each semester and I am afraid of failing any of them as I wouldn't be able to pay for the modules. As an example, for one of the modules, the average grade for all students taking the exam was 41%, with more than a quarter failing the module.
My question is, do I still qualify for 1 extra year of funding in case something happens or should I consider transferring to a lower ranked University for Year 2 just to have more chances of finishing the course without failing anything?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SirSteven)
Hi,
I did my Foundation Year and I transferred for the Year One because the course was really bad and most teachers did not seem to care about their modules. The University I went to for Year 1 is in ranked in the 30s in the Complete University Guide and I feel I learnt a lot there, managing to get 68% overall for the year. However, at that Uni we have 5 exams each semester and I am afraid of failing any of them as I wouldn't be able to pay for the modules. As an example, for one of the modules, the average grade for all students taking the exam was 41%, with more than a quarter failing the module.
My question is, do I still qualify for 1 extra year of funding in case something happens or should I consider transferring to a lower ranked University for Year 2 just to have more chances of finishing the course without failing anything?
Because you've transferred into a course without a foundation year then your foundation year will count as your gift year. Student finance see it just that you've started in the first year of a course twice.

Your university will normally have lots of extra study skills support available (check your library and student services teams) to help you avoid failing and having to repeat a year.
SFE Nihad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SirSteven)
Hi,
Hi there,

Based on this information, you've already used up your additional year. If you were to repeat or commence a new course from year one then you will not be eligible to borrow tuition fees until year two onward. If you transfer to year two of a new course then you will continue receiving your funding as normal.

Regards,
Nihad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.48%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.84%
Terrified (381)
22.22%
Meh (170)
9.91%
Confused (37)
2.16%
Putting on a brave face (237)
13.82%
Impatient (214)
12.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise