KCL law employment prospects Watch

Heinz Guderian
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Aight, so I actually exceeded my offer so I guess I'll be going to King's in September. Pretty happy about that, just wondering whether it's a good investment.

Although I've seen contradictory claims on TSR it seems to me that every 'ranking thread' usually ends up with the following generally accepted model of Oxbridge>UCL/LSE>KCL>Everything else

Thing is though, putting these unis into tiers is meaningless since no one ever actually elaborates on what the criteria are. So what I'm asking in this thread is how good a law degree from King's is in relation to other unis in terms of employability. I've looked at some stats and they also seem to be totally inconsistent (there's info on employment, but not on underemployment)

TL;DR: is King's good for employability in the legal field and HOW good is it compared to other unis (i.e. is it better than Durham, Bristol and Warwick?)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Heinz Guderian; 6 days ago
Paolo3100
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
whatever advice you receive here, you have to remember that everyone has extremely high standards here so even kcl might be heavily criticised
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Same as any other good non-Oxbridge uni
ChemistryGuy1998
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Not sure where you got your rankings from, I'd place it below Durham/Bristol and on the same level as Warwick.
Heinz Guderian
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by ChemistryGuy1998)
Not sure where you got your rankings from, I'd place it below Durham/Bristol and on the same level as Warwick.
I've never seen it tiered like that. I've seen people group Durham and King's, but Bristol's always below those two.
What are you basing this on?
It seems like King's has a far better rep when it comes to law from what I've seen (employer rankings, average graduate salaries, % of graduates employed at magic circle firms plus just a better rep in general)
Last edited by Heinz Guderian; 5 days ago
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You as a candidate overall will determine your employability more than your uni. You will suffer no disadvantage going to kings versus the other unis you mention.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Heinz Guderian)
I've never seen it tiered like that. I've seen people group Durham and King's, but Bristol's always below those two.
It seems like King's has a far better rep when it comes to law from what I've seen (employer rankings, average graduate salaries, % of graduates employed at magic circle firms plus just a better rep in general)
He's a Durham student who's famously incapable of any form of statistical analysis
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Basing it on the fact that KCL is a dump and isn't for top students, the only people I have met from KCL at law events only went there because they were awarded the Dickson Poon Scholarship. Other than that, theres no reason for someone who is predicted A*AA to set foot there.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/wh...versities-2019

Have a look at this.

Personally I wouldn't pay London fees unless I were going to the top London institutions, which KCL is not.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
And... he proves me right once again
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/wh...versities-2019

Have a look at this.
(Original post by JohanGRK)
He's a Durham student who's famously incapable of any form of statistical analysis
RV3112
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
And... he proves me right once again
Ah the old trainee head count. Notice the "eventual NQ earnings" ranking puts KCL above Durham?
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by RV3112)
Ah the old trainee head count. Notice the "eventual NQ earnings" ranking puts KCL above Durham?
It also puts KCL above Cambridge and SOAS above Oxford and Cambridge, think that graph is anomalous.
Heinz Guderian
Rep:
?
It also puts KCL above Cambridge and SOAS above Oxford and Cambridge, think that graph is anomalous.
Doesn't Bristol have a way larger course? How many Bristol law graduates are there per year compared to KCL law grads? Surely that should be taken into account.

Also, UCL, King's and LSE are below the likes of Exeter and Nottingham on that chart so clearly there's something more to this.
Last edited by Heinz Guderian; 5 days ago
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
"I don't like the data so it's anomalous"

It's perfectly reasonable for somewhere like SOAS to be above the two - the data covers a fairly depressed NQ market - and SOAS has a tiny presence anyway. It's not unreasonable for KCL to be above Cambridge, given that every single KCL grad will seek a TC within London. If the data included the Bar (where Cambridge grads dominates the top civil sets and earn loads early on), then it would obviously be a different story.

I find it curious that you said that 'only students with the DP scholarship would choose KCL' - the full DP scholarship only goes to 25 people (KCL has an intake of over 230, and it used to be even bigger in the past).

KCL's entry standards have been pretty much interchangeable with Durham's for the past two years: 2020 - Durham 206, KCL 203; 2019 - KCL 210, Durham 208; 2018 - Durham 558, KCL 522; 2017; KCL 575, Durham 563, etc.
Last edited by JohanGRK; 5 days ago
RV3112
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Anomalous is not the right word. Because earnings are higher in certain places (eg London), if a uni's graduates are more likely to pick firms in that area rather than an even spread, they will perform better. That's why SOAS is high (their graduates that do enter practice, apparently mostly target London firms).
Last edited by RV3112; 5 days ago
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Interestingly, Durham and KCL are fairly close when it comes to (far more reliable) UK government tax data for graduate salaries 5 years after graduation:

2009 graduates:
Durham: £42k
KCL: £39k

2008 graduates:
Durham: £40k
KCL: £38k

Edit: Figures are median salaries, check the quartiles as well
Last edited by JohanGRK; 5 days ago
RV3112
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Interestingly, Durham and KCL are fairly close when it comes to (far more reliable) UK government tax data for graduate salaries 5 years after graduation:

2009 graduates:
Durham: £42k
KCL: £39k

2008 graduates:
Durham: £40k
KCL: £38k
Yeah no real difference there at all. Presumably that is data for all graduate salaries rather than those just in law firms?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yeah no real difference there at all. Presumably that is data for all graduate salaries rather than those just in law firms?
Yep!
Heinz Guderian
Rep:
?
Yep!
What's up with all the Warwick love on TSR btw? Everyone on here seems to obsess over how great it is but I just don't see how. What's the deal with that?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
What's up with all the Warwick love on TSR btw? Everyone on here seems to obsess over how great it is but I just don't see how. What's the deal with that?
Make a new thread

I'm not one of these people
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
You have been looking at the wrong threads.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.9%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (69)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (395)
57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.14%

Watched Threads