How do I choose which hall to live in when applying for a university? Watch

Hanuk Tan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am going to study at Southampton and there are plenty of halls to choose from. How do I pick the best place and what things should I look for?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hanuk Tan)
I am going to study at Southampton and there are plenty of halls to choose from. How do I pick the best place and what things should I look for?
figure out what you can comfortably afford and then whats most important to you, does it bother you sharing a bathroom?

CheeseIsVeg any advice you could share ?
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
figure out what you can comfortably afford and then whats most important to you, does it bother you sharing a bathroom?

CheeseIsVeg any advice you could share ?
Maybe :giggle: Thanks Claire :hugs:

Hey there! :hi:
Firstly congrats on your place to study at the University of Southampton :woo: it's gonna be awesome!

So the 'best' hall is very subjective
really depends on the sort of person you are

if you want to roll out of bed in the morning and into your lectures
you cba to cook
you can't stand not having your own facilities ( :nn: )
etc. etc.

btw if you haven't guessed I would recommend you snap out of wanting an ensuite room
it makes your financial life easier
and you have to get used to it anyway

P.S Fun Fact - you use an online website called Planon to report any issues with facilities and usually people come to sort out the issue within the day you submitted the problem on there :borat:

Some halls are closer to Highfield Campus - Glen Eyre, Highfield Hall, Wessex Lane
Some are closer to the City Centre of Southampton - Mayflower, Archer's Road

some cool bits of info I know off the top of my head -->
- exactly what u get in a room depends on what you get when u move in as it depends but there is a standard itinerary on the website
- cheapest ensuite is in archers road
- best value in my opinion is going part catered ( you get breakfast and a choice of lunch on campus (£7.50 to spend in Uni outlets) or dinner at your hall (menu posted online) )
- I was at wessex lane in my first year can tell u more about it if you are interested
- you get a bus pass included with your halls fees
- contents insurance included too
- wifi included etc.

hope this helps
Hanuk Tan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
How was it like in Wessex Lane? Have you been to other halls? What is the difference between category 1 and 2? I'm wondering between Wessex Lane and Highfield halls because I might be able to go back to my country for a month. How long is the Easter Vacation and are we free to go? Also how exactly do we apply? A friend of mine told me he applied for several places when I thought we apply only for one.

Thank you for helping me out

P.S. There is also one more thing I haven't researched and I don't know how or where. How do I get healthcare and a GP for when I stay in England?
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
Maybe :giggle: Thanks Claire :hugs:

Hey there! :hi:
Firstly congrats on your place to study at the University of Southampton :woo: it's gonna be awesome!

So the 'best' hall is very subjective
really depends on the sort of person you are

if you want to roll out of bed in the morning and into your lectures
you cba to cook
you can't stand not having your own facilities ( :nn: )
etc. etc.

btw if you haven't guessed I would recommend you snap out of wanting an ensuite room
it makes your financial life easier
and you have to get used to it anyway

P.S Fun Fact - you use an online website called Planon to report any issues with facilities and usually people come to sort out the issue within the day you submitted the problem on there :borat:

Some halls are closer to Highfield Campus - Glen Eyre, Highfield Hall, Wessex Lane
Some are closer to the City Centre of Southampton - Mayflower, Archer's Road

some cool bits of info I know off the top of my head -->
- exactly what u get in a room depends on what you get when u move in as it depends but there is a standard itinerary on the website
- cheapest ensuite is in archers road
- best value in my opinion is going part catered ( you get breakfast and a choice of lunch on campus (£7.50 to spend in Uni outlets) or dinner at your hall (menu posted online) )
- I was at wessex lane in my first year can tell u more about it if you are interested
- you get a bus pass included with your halls fees
- contents insurance included too
- wifi included etc.

hope this helps
Last edited by Hanuk Tan; 5 days ago
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
How was it like in Wessex Lane? Have you been to other halls? What is the difference between category 1 and 2? I'm wondering between Wessex Lane and Highfield halls because I might be able to go back to my country for a month. How long is the Easter Vacation and are we free to go? Also how exactly do we apply? A friend of mine told me he applied for several places when I thought we apply only for one.

Thank you for helping me out

P.S. There is also one more thing I haven't researched and I don't know how or where. How do I get healthcare and a GP for when I stay in England?
Wessex Lane is really nice.There are 2 parts to it. You have the student village-like Montefiore which is mostly self-catered and the part-catered accommodation in Connaught. Connaught is a bit more traditional - it sort of looks like a Cambridge college and it's super pretty - lots of green spaces etc. Montefiore is much larger and is split into lots of blocks of flats. There are a few newer bits (3-4 blocks) but the rest are the same age.
Both sites share the facilities that are situated in Connaught (recently refurbished). These include: a study room, a lounge, a common room, a music room and a snooker room :yy: There is also a small gym in Connaught :yep: There are little places you can have a BBQ in the green spaces outside Connaught and I think a few round the sides of Montefiore.

Yes I've been to other halls. Glen Eyre and Montefiore I worked at for a few days. Glen Eyre is very nice. It is separated into blocks but has lots of green space in between them. It's a very popular hall because both the cheapest and the most expensive accommodation is located there.
Monte is right in the city centre - v modern looking rooms but are slightly smaller. Most are en-suite expensive rooms.

Check contract lengths if you want to go home for Easter. If I am correct, I believe the 36 week contracts are without the Easter break included. This does mean you have to either take all your things with you or store it somewhere though - you have to completely vacate your room as they use it for conference people (at Highfield hall).

Highfield hall is really nice! It's a bit like Connaught and is v close to campus. Your food works this way: you get breakfast each weekday and a choice of lunch on campus (£7.50 to spend in outlets there) or dinner at your hall (menu posted online). At weekends you have brunch and a sunday roast :yy:

You apply on the online website here: https://accommodationservices.soton..../Account/Login
You make 3-5 choices on it (for accommodation). I recommend you put 5 as it gives the team a good idea of what you want. There's also a notes section where you can write anything important.
Make sure you apply for 36 week contracts on all accommodation choices! This means that you're not paying for your accommodation whilst being away during the Easter holidays!

The difference between category 1 and 2 really depend on the room. It's very hard to say. The category 2 rooms usually have something better/newer about them. Sometimes this means a larger room, newer windows, (rarely) a double bed, newer walls etc and (rarely) a washbasin. When I say rarely I mean it's extremely unlikely to get these rooms and I can't remember which halls they have them in

The Easter holidays are about 7 weeks long or something? Depends on the year - check it!
See here for GP stuff --> https://www.southampton.ac.uk/welcom...-a-doctor.page
Hope this helps :woo:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (128)
60.66%
No (83)
39.34%

Watched Threads