I don't know which uni course to apply for, opinions please! Watch

Tonguepop
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I'm in year 12 studying Politics, Psychology and Sociology with an A*AA prediction. My GCSEs are 7-6,6,6,6,6,5,5,4,4. I'm pretty sure I want to apply for Social Policy at a university like Leeds, Birmingham or Bristol. I'm not to keen on doing a joint honour degree, but I am open to anything pretty much. I want go into the civil service fast stream after uni, but I am also considering doing a law conversion (I don't want to do a straight law degree). I was never going to do A-levels and I never would have thought that I would have got predictions like this so this is all quite foreign. Could really use some helpful ideas, thank you!
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Tonguepop)
I'm in year 12 studying Politics, Psychology and Sociology with an A*AA prediction. My GCSEs are 7-6,6,6,6,6,5,5,4,4. I'm pretty sure I want to apply for Social Policy at a university like Leeds, Birmingham or Bristol. I'm not to keen on doing a joint honour degree, but I am open to anything pretty much. I want go into the civil service fast stream after uni, but I am also considering doing a law conversion (I don't want to do a straight law degree). I was never going to do A-levels and I never would have thought that I would have got predictions like this so this is all quite foreign. Could really use some helpful ideas, thank you!
The best thing to do if at all possible is to visit the universities to get a feel for the place for yourself, speak to the lecturers/students and understand what the course will entail. It's good that you have some idea about the subject area and a few universities - you're most of the way there in terms of making the important decisions and it's now just a case of fine-tuning whether there are any other similar courses which appeal to you more, and picking the final list of universities to apply to.
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Do you have a plan to go to open days? I went to Birmingham so let me know if you have any questions

Why don't you want to do joint honours out of interest?

Have you looked at the module content for the courses at these unis? That will give you an insight as to whether any of the content resonates with you and whether you'll find it interesting. Check it over for years two and three too.

What do you want from your whole uni experience? Alongside your studies what do you want to get out of it?
p_helena
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
A word of advice:
Don't always go by what your teachers say are your predicted grades. If you are at the end of year 12 then they should be more accurate, but I consistently got predicted Bs and As and got somewhat higher than that .

Equally I have friends who were predicted As but barely scraped C's. It's not what your teachers say you can or can't do, but the amount of work you put in- though predictions *should* be accurate..
In terms of uni choices, I think the universities you have opted for are great! All three are academically exceptional but have realistic entry requirements considering your predicted grades.
As you have 5 options for UCAS applications, I would advise you apply to those three and also find a uni with lower requirements just in case!
Both my first and insurance choices were at the same uni so if I mess up Chemistry it doesn't matter, I will still get onto a similar course at my preferred university.

Also, definitely go to open days where you can! It was a 7 hour drive to my preferred uni but was totally worth it!
Tonguepop
Rep:
?
Hi, I'm at the end of year 12 going into year 13 next year. I've been getting As all year in Sociology, A/A*s in politics and I started the year at an E in Psychology, then I went to a C, getting a B in my mock. I was one mark of a B in my politics mock but he gave me an A* because of how I've been doing the whole year. I realise that I've got to work a whole lot harder and this summer I will be finishing all my notes for year 12 content.
There are other universities I'm considering such as Nottingham, Edinburgh or Durham but they don't offer my course so would appreciate some ideas for a course differnt to social policy that isn't as niche.
I've already booked open days for Birmingham, Leeds, and Bristol but I'll be getting the train. Birmingham have the offer of BBB so that's lower in comparison to Leeds which is ABB. Lincoln offer BCC but I don't really want to go there.
(Original post by p_helena)
A word of advice:
Don't always go by what your teachers say are your predicted grades. If you are at the end of year 12 then they should be more accurate, but I consistently got predicted Bs and As and got somewhat higher than that .

Equally I have friends who were predicted As but barely scraped C's. It's not what your teachers say you can or can't do, but the amount of work you put in- though predictions *should* be accurate..
In terms of uni choices, I think the universities you have opted for are great! All three are academically exceptional but have realistic entry requirements considering your predicted grades.
As you have 5 options for UCAS applications, I would advise you apply to those three and also find a uni with lower requirements just in case!
Both my first and insurance choices were at the same uni so if I mess up Chemistry it doesn't matter, I will still get onto a similar course at my preferred university.

Also, definitely go to open days where you can! It was a 7 hour drive to my preferred uni but was totally worth it!
Tonguepop
Rep:
?
I've booked open days for Leeds, Birmingham and Nottingham. I just don't know if there are better courses out there for me, I was considering International Relations but would rather do Social Policy based on what I've learned from the Sociology A-Level course and just because that's the type of person I am - current politics (not ideologies) and the applied sociology (i.e. education system + NHS).

(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
The best thing to do if at all possible is to visit the universities to get a feel for the place for yourself, speak to the lecturers/students and understand what the course will entail. It's good that you have some idea about the subject area and a few universities - you're most of the way there in terms of making the important decisions and it's now just a case of fine-tuning whether there are any other similar courses which appeal to you more, and picking the final list of universities to apply to.
Tonguepop
Rep:
?
1. I've booked Nottingham, Leeds and Birmingham
2. I don't really think I'd like splitting my self up in terms of 2 subject areas
3. Yes, I've looked at a few courses, I've looked at the Leeds course for all 3 years and I really like the look of it. Especially the course where you can spend a year abroad on work experience... WOW!
4. I'm Jewish so I'd like to go somewhere where there's a Jewish community, a Hillel house and Kosher Butchers as well as being able to have fun with my mates when I'm not working.

What did you study and did you like Birmingham? Both of my sisters went there.
(Original post by She-Ra)
Do you have a plan to go to open days? I went to Birmingham so let me know if you have any questions

Why don't you want to do joint honours out of interest?

Have you looked at the module content for the courses at these unis? That will give you an insight as to whether any of the content resonates with you and whether you'll find it interesting. Check it over for years two and three too.

What do you want from your whole uni experience? Alongside your studies what do you want to get out of it?
p_helena
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi, I'm at the end of year 12 going into year 13 next year. I've been getting As all year in Sociology, A/A*s in politics and I started the year at an E in Psychology, then I went to a C, getting a B in my mock. I was one mark of a B in my politics mock but he gave me an A* because of how I've been doing the whole year. I realise that I've got to work a whole lot harder and this summer I will be finishing all my notes for year 12 content.
There are other universities I'm considering such as Nottingham, Edinburgh or Durham but they don't offer my course so would appreciate some ideas for a course differnt to social policy that isn't as niche.
I've already booked open days for Birmingham, Leeds, and Bristol but I'll be getting the train. Birmingham have the offer of BBB so that's lower in comparison to Leeds which is ABB. Lincoln offer BCC but I don't really want to go there.
That's great to hear- I've read through the thread and you seem to be far more clued-up than most other year 12s are about uni options
The three you like (Birmingham, Leeds and Bristol) sound like great options considering the grades you are currently getting and the entry requirements they have.
I applied to Lincoln but rejected their conditional offer because, similarly, there were other unis I prefer over Lincoln- for me it was mainly the distance (I live in the South-West).
One thing you could do if you are anxious about results, is have the 3 applications to the universities you like, and out of those 3 see if you can find a Foundation Degree that's related to your course. They often have lower entry requirements and can guarantee you a place the following year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads