The Student Room Group

Gym

How can I lose weight my mums always telling me to go gym but ngl im a bit embarrassed. I’m not too fat but I’m still embarrassed to go to the gym.
Original post by Fizzyyy
How can I lose weight my mums always telling me to go gym but ngl im a bit embarrassed. I’m not too fat but I’m still embarrassed to go to the gym.

Go into a calorie deficit?
Original post by Fizzyyy

Hey, Is there anyone that may want to join with you like a friend or do you know anyone who already goes that you could join? 80% of loosing weight is what you eat but exercise really helps and its important to keep fit and healthy! :smile:
Sophia
Reply 3
Why are you embarrassed? If I saw someone fat at the gym (which I often do) I'm internally actually quite proud of them for doing something about it.
Reply 4
Original post by Joe Frazier
Go into a calorie deficit?

Yeah I’m literally writing down how much I take in a day making sure that I don’t eat too much than I need to
Reply 5
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey, Is there anyone that may want to join with you like a friend or do you know anyone who already goes that you could join? 80% of loosing weight is what you eat but exercise really helps and its important to keep fit and healthy! :smile:
Sophia

Hey, I do have a friend that goes so yeah I will see if I go with her. Yeah I am monitoring what I eat and how much
Reply 6
Original post by Xarao
Why are you embarrassed? If I saw someone fat at the gym (which I often do) I'm internally actually quite proud of them for doing something about it.

Ahhh idk tbh just embarrassed about how others would see me. Like if they see me and have thoughts like how is she so fat. Idk I’m not a confident person and I’m just embarrassed of myself in some aspects
Reply 7
Original post by Fizzyyy
Ahhh idk tbh just embarrassed about how others would see me. Like if they see me and have thoughts like how is she so fat. Idk I’m not a confident person and I’m just embarrassed of myself in some aspects

So what are you going to do about it? Remain in the exact same position or at least take a step forward to changing yourself for the better?

Where you want to be is completely up to you buddy.
Original post by Fizzyyy
Yeah I’m literally writing down how much I take in a day making sure that I don’t eat too much than I need to

Get MyFitnessPal and you’re sorted
If youre below 16,theres a good chance youll grow out of puppy fat like me and my friends did haha, and its probably a lot worse in your eyes than everyone elses.

When losing weight, eating less is more important than exercise - for example youd have to sprint for like 30 minutes to burn off a few biscuits, when you could just not eat them in the first place
Eat three meals a day or five snacks a day and keep it healthy - dont skip meals or vomit it up, neither of these things work unless you want to lose all your muscle mass
That being said, excersise is great for buildung your metablosim which makes you process calories better, and will keep you toned and make you feel good, especially about your body image

If youre self conscious about excercising, go to a gym during off peak hours (its also cheaper this way)
Or go jogging at night when its dark, somewhere secluded like a park (but safe obviously)
You could get a workout machine and then you can exercise whenever in privacy, and long term its probably cheaper than a gym
Reply 10
Original post by Fizzyyy

Make sure you don't eat too less as well. Stuff up on filling nutritious fruits vegetables.
Do a HIIT run (e.g run as fast as you can for 10 secs, walk or jog for 50 secs and repeat for 30 mins. Then increase the time you run for and decrease the time you walk/jog for and increase the overall run to maybe 1 hour) in the morning before breakfast and go in a caloric deficit.
I would also suggest you join a circuit class in a local leisure center or gym after 1-2 weeks of running.

I would say do the circuit 3 times a week, then run the other 2 days you don't go. Or whatever you prefer.

You could do weights instead of circuit training - search up 5x5 workout on google and stick to that. Consistency is key.

Obviously, the caloric deficit is important, calculate your maintenance calories from google if you haven't done so already and take away 300-500 calories. Minimize fat, carbs, soft drinks, etc. And more veg, fruit, healthy sh*t. Maintain your protein intake too, or increase it so you minimize muscle loss.

Don't be embarrassed to go, you are one of many who want to change their lifestyle to be more healthy and live a better and longer life. You could also work out with a friend.
Reply 12
Original post by Fizzyyy

You have to start somewhere! You can also work out at home! There are several workouts, including simply stairclimbing which can burn off those calories. And...make sure to lift weights as well. This will help you tone up and build muscle.

Quick Reply

Latest