The Student Room Group

Capita medical RAF

I’m applying to RAF and was wondering if Capita look at your medical records or have them to hand during your medical?
Obviously I will answer all questions honestly but don’t want to be picked up on something that happened years ago that doesn’t affect me.
Also, I’ve heard medical appeals (if needed) can be more lenient according to what role you are applying for. Is this true or have I been misinformed?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Xbellakins16xx
I’m applying to RAF and was wondering if Capita look at your medical records or have them to hand during your medical?
Obviously I will answer all questions honestly but don’t want to be picked up on something that happened years ago that doesn’t affect me.

Yes, they do.

And yes, if you've got something on your records that could pose a problem, they'll flag it up.
Just because it doesn't affect you right now does not mean it's not something that would affect you during a military career.
Reply 2
Also, I’ve heard medical appeals (if needed) can be more lenient according to what role you are applying for. Is this true or have I been misinformed?

Do you mean they will relax the standards if they are trying to find the numbers for a certain role? Not true. Why would they? It would be too much trouble to recruit someone who may not be able to do their job and then need replacing anyway. There are other ways they can meet the quota.

There are medical standards that apply to certain roles (eg you need better eyesight for pilot than engineer), but some conditions will stop you from joining up in any capacity.
Reply 3

I was speaking to a recruiter last night who mentioned that he'd heard of people who missed the BMI requirements by 0.5/1 either side of the margin can sometimes be allowed through if their trade is in demand. But that is very much the exception to the rule and pretty much the only circumstance in which that happens.

Medical requirements are almost never relaxed.

Quick Reply

Latest