How can I get 8/9's in my GCSE? Watch

milliebutton
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey there, I'm starting year 10 in September and I'm wondering how I can do well in my GCSE's. I'd say I'm quite smart but I'm really worried about it all.
OllyDaws
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
practice questions, if your smart you don't need to relearn stuff just practice. Practising questions such as maths and physics means you'll apply the stuff you know then eventually you will come across questions that look different and hard but will be easy for you as you are just applying your knowledge (if this makes sense :confused:)
PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS!!!!!
this was my one mistake, im pretty bright i'd say so but in year 10 i didn't pay attention enough so i didn't understand anything in chemistry then i had to work my arse of in around 2 months to go for it and then i finally understood it, if i payed attention in year 10 i wouldn't of had that stress
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
make sure you're making notes as you go along, it'll save you a lot of stress when it culminates to the end of the year and you already have most of your resources prepared:yep: organisation is key!!
do a little bit of revision each day, even if it's only 15 minutes just to consolidate information regularly and ensure you understand the content; if you don't then go to a teacher to help or ask a friend to explain it.
make the effort to revise for little tests, mocks and complete homework as it'll help you a lot in the long run.
vary revision methods- active recall is most effective though it'll be different for everyone. for most, reading notes won't work as well. flashcards are good, as are past papers which give you a chance to apply your knowledge and see what your weak areas are.
plenty of resources for maths online- for the humanities and arts based subjects practice essays and hand these to your teacher to be marked and make sure you learn from any feedback given; you'll likely improve over time without realising it.
milliebutton
Rep:
?
(Original post by OllyDaws)
practice questions, if your smart you don't need to relearn stuff just practice. Practising questions such as maths and physics means you'll apply the stuff you know then eventually you will come across questions that look different and hard but will be easy for you as you are just applying your knowledge (if this makes sense :confused:)
PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS!!!!!
this was my one mistake, im pretty bright i'd say so but in year 10 i didn't pay attention enough so i didn't understand anything in chemistry then i had to work my arse of in around 2 months to go for it and then i finally understood it, if i payed attention in year 10 i wouldn't of had that stress
Thank you so much for the help
milliebutton
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for this it helped a lot!
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
make sure you're making notes as you go along, it'll save you a lot of stress when it culminates to the end of the year and you already have most of your resources prepared:yep: organisation is key!!
do a little bit of revision each day, even if it's only 15 minutes just to consolidate information regularly and ensure you understand the content; if you don't then go to a teacher to help or ask a friend to explain it.
make the effort to revise for little tests, mocks and complete homework as it'll help you a lot in the long run.
vary revision methods- active recall is most effective though it'll be different for everyone. for most, reading notes won't work as well. flashcards are good, as are past papers which give you a chance to apply your knowledge and see what your weak areas are.
plenty of resources for maths online- for the humanities and arts based subjects practice essays and hand these to your teacher to be marked and make sure you learn from any feedback given; you'll likely improve over time without realising it.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Over the summer holiday get the following organised:

1. A study area - have a desk chair, stationery, files - everything you would need in one place.

2. Buy your stationery and include a diary with plenty of space - you'll need this to write down your daily todo list, and a run down to important dates like your mocks and exams.

3. Have a look a different learning and revision methods like mind maps etc, - if you have one that works for you then don't change it.

4. Check to see if there are any text books etc you need to get (this is probably more for college situation) and get those.

5. Watch some videos on You Tube about grade a students; also find the leading channels on the subjects you are studying. I highly recommend Mr Bruff for English Language and Primrose Kitten for Science and maths, Hagartymaths for maths as well.

6 Have a relaxing holiday, as from year 10 it's going to be pretty full on with lots of revision etc, so enjoy yourself.

PS If you need some tips on revision/memorising etc check out my thread here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...light=mindmaps acronyms, flash cards
Last edited by Purdy7; 1 week ago
milliebutton
Rep:
?
Thanks for the help!
Tolgarda
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why should you be worried? These are not the 'be all and end all'.
Deggs_14
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Start making your revision notes, especially for humanities and sciences as you go along in year 10. Once you finish a poem in English, write up your messy annotations on a nice new bit of paper and perhaps watch a you tube video about it online. Start preparing resources, learning how to effectively revise comes with time and practice.
Heyysarah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Look through your syllabus and see what you'll need to learn. I'd advise you not to study TOO early, If you are going to study this summer, make sure it's only moderate revision (30mins-1hr). I did the mistake of doing 2hr> revision during my Y9-Y10 summer holiday and I felt so burned out and I couldn't bring myself to study for the first 2 months in Y10. Also, make sure to take breaks after every revision session, it prevents you from being burned out quickly.

Good luck!!! Y10 isn't that bad.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by milliebutton)
Thank you so much for this it helped a lot!
no worries, best of luck with gcses!
A Revolutionary
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey Millie,

I'm going to paste some advice I wrote elsewhere, because its especially applicable to you as you have a year left till GCSEs:

Download this application called "Anki" on your desktop/ laptop if you have one. It is a flashcard algorithm

Every day, add your lesson's notes onto flashcards and input them into your system.

Anki is not just any flashcard algorithm though- its built scientifically for long term memorization around the ideas of Spaced repetition ("curve of forgetting") and active recall (trying to pull an answer out of your head, rather than trying to relearn it)

Essentially, every time you answer a card, you rank it from 1 to 5. But these aren't just numbers, they correspond to times. Depending on your number, the software chooses when to give it back to you, just before you forget it, so the first time round, you may get the option of 10 mins, 1 day or 4 days as an example. But here's the thing, scientifically the more you get a card correct the more you know it, right? This means that Anki now gives you longer options, like 10 days, 14 days or a month, and over time it can get really big- longer than a year, but If you have ranked honestly, by the time it gets to that point, you will theoretically remember it for that whole year untill you see it.

This is built for long term memory in that way and is build on scientific foundations. The software literally chooses for you what you will revise that day, and it probably won't take more than a half hour (depending on how many subjects you use it for)

With effort that is spread around all year, you will have memorized stuff really efficiently by next year, and all you have to do is be consistent in adding cards for new lessons and be consistent in sitting down to do it every day for a certain time- and it's all free, just search up anki, trust me, you'll be happy that you did

For referance, I started using this a month before mocks at it helped me get an average grade of an 8 in my mocks (still waiting for GCSE results). If that was a month, think what you could do in a year

Good luck🙂
danielmg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Quiz yourself on the things you are learning regularly so they stay in your memory. This was a big problem for me. At our school some of the maths topics were taught in Year 8 before we even started gcses and then never gone over again, so I had to learn them myself. Use seneca to quiz yourself and also try and make a few short key notes or flashcards after every lesson. Pay attention in class too and ask your teacher if you don't understand. I ended up having to teach myself a lot of chemistry as our teacher was not very good at explaining complex topics for us, so no one knew what she was on about most lessons and no one ever asked her for help.
TommyHahn8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by milliebutton)
Hey there, I'm starting year 10 in September and I'm wondering how I can do well in my GCSE's. I'd say I'm quite smart but I'm really worried about it all.
Work from early on. Having just finished my exams I've learned that you should make flashcards as you go through the course rather than trying to make them when you should be revising from them.
username4877478
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do many practice papers (as many people have said before!) They are highly effective and help with exam technique, as not everything is to do with content.

For essay-based subjects (like History), it would be very useful if you did essay plans. I did a lot of essay plans prior to my exam and, in the exam, one of the exam questions that I did a plan on came up. So I was very prepared!

Many people have said this already but I should emphasise on starting early. This helps you actually understand the content and it will go into your long-term memory. You should also put as much effort in your mock exams as you will do in your actual GCSEs as they help you find out what you are slightly weak at so that you can improve - pay attention to your weaknesses!

I’m sure your teachers will have plenty of tips so make use of them. They will help you a lot during your GCSEs!
evie findlay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
One of the most important aspects of Year 10/11 is making sure you understand the content as you go along. What I did during the three years (Year 9 included) was ensure every night I understood and practised questions on what I had learnt that day. After you have finished a topic revise it well so that when it comes to the GCSE revision period you are revising and not learning content. Hope this helped
Last edited by evie findlay; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads