I'm too stupid for my A Levels, feeling like I should quit. Watch

Throwawayyyy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I got a U in my mock and two D's in my other subject. I struggle with Dyslexia, so no matter how much I revise I never get the marks that show for all the work I put in. I know most of tje stuff but I never quite get it out right.

I'm at the point where I think I should just quit my A Levels. I genuinely believe that I'm too stupid for them despite what my teachers and parents tell me. I know I'll never have any real quality of life without them, but I'm not going to pass so I should just save everyone the hassle.
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
What subjects do you take? Have you considered retaking year 12? Many people do this. And remember a lot can change in a year
D_1432
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi - don't feel that you can't do it. My chemistry teacher told me that in y12, she was achieving U,U,E in her subjects. She worked extremely hard over the following year and achieved AAB. It is possible to well - you still have time.

edit: I forgot to mention said teacher had dyslexia too
Last edited by D_1432; 4 days ago
KaceyCox06
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Throwawayyyy)
I got a U in my mock and two D's in my other subject. I struggle with Dyslexia, so no matter how much I revise I never get the marks that show for all the work I put in. I know most of tje stuff but I never quite get it out right.

I'm at the point where I think I should just quit my A Levels. I genuinely believe that I'm too stupid for them despite what my teachers and parents tell me. I know I'll never have any real quality of life without them, but I'm not going to pass so I should just save everyone the hassle.
I am the exact same as you. I have dyslexia as well and the same all throughout my studies I have worked my ass off and never seen the results I've wanted. It is really difficult I know. You work so hard and its just demoralising. But let me remind you about how GCSEs went. We worked just as hard then and had the same thing, but I'm sure like me you didn't do too badly. If you ever need motivation so do I and there are plenty of us out there that are going through the same thing and we can all help each other.
Throwawayyyy
Rep:
?
Politics, English Lit, Comp science.
I can't, and I honestly doubt it would fix anything.
(Original post by blackvoid17)
What subjects do you take? Have you considered retaking year 12? Many people do this. And remember a lot can change in a year
DoritoEvie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Isn't there a dyslexia exemption frome exams? Let your teachers know
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago

Hey, dont worry A-levels are really hard! I really struggled and was getting similar results to you. Have you got any extra help for you dyslexia? Doing a BTec is always an option as well and they are regarded the same as A-levels but just test you in different ways which may be better for you?
Sophia
Skeletonclique21
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
are your college supporting you with your dyslexia? a close friend of mine had a similar struggle and received a lot of help and extra considerations. it is always possible. i've head people getting stuff like 3Us in year 12 and then getting decent grades at A2. all is not lost. if you really feel like you need more time, there is 0 shame in retaking the year, a lot of people from my sixth form left to retake the year. You've got this x
Evil Homer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago

As everyone has said above, there are things you can do to help and you shouldn't give up!

I did just want to add one more thing though. If for whatever reason you just can't complete them that doesn't make you stupid at all.

A-levels really are not everything, and you can have any life you want without them, I promise!

There are so many avenues for you if you do to change, everything is possible
Throwawayyyy
Rep:
?
I don't. I'm in this weird place where a lot of my families dyslexic so I clearly have it, but we don't have the money to get tested. School won't help me unless I get diagnosed.
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hey, dont worry A-levels are really hard! I really struggled and was getting similar results to you. Have you got any extra help for you dyslexia? Doing a BTec is always an option as well and they are regarded the same as A-levels but just test you in different ways which may be better for you?
Sophia
Throwawayyyy
Rep:
?
I don't. I'm in this weird place where a lot of my families dyslexic so I clearly have it, but we don't have the money to get tested. School won't help me unless I get diagnosed.
(Original post by Skeletonclique21)
are your college supporting you with your dyslexia? a close friend of mine had a similar struggle and received a lot of help and extra considerations. it is always possible. i've head people getting stuff like 3Us in year 12 and then getting decent grades at A2. all is not lost. if you really feel like you need more time, there is 0 shame in retaking the year, a lot of people from my sixth form left to retake the year. You've got this x
Throwawayyyy
Rep:
?
There are no jobs in the UK without A Levels. This is my only chance to do what I love (cyber security) and I'm never going to pass.
(Original post by Evil Homer)
As everyone has said above, there are things you can do to help and you shouldn't give up!

I did just want to add one more thing though. If for whatever reason you just can't complete them that doesn't make you stupid at all.

A-levels really are not everything, and you can have any life you want without them, I promise!

There are so many avenues for you if you do to change, everything is possible
Dancer2001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
The school should have to do the test for you, or at least some kind of placement test. You should also be getting extra time in exams. Have you tried asking for extra time?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Throwawayyyy
Rep:
?
I've asked for a laptop about half way through year 12, and they said they won't do the test until year 13.
(Original post by Dancer2001)
The school should have to do the test for you, or at least some kind of placement test. You should also be getting extra time in exams. Have you tried asking for extra time?
JunJun08
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago

Hi there, I understand your frustration! Although I don't have a learning difficulty, this year I completely screwed my A levels and I also wish to go into Cyber Security.

First of all, fear not. A levels hardly mean *anything* for your field. I have fantastic offers from both universities and apprenticeships even though I screwed up (predicted AAB, probably got CDD or similar).

You can get into Cyber Security through many, many ways. There is no one magic medicine for the field - which is great because it means A levels hardly matter!

Firstly, A levels may not be for you. If you are into computing and computer science in general then I suggest you do a BTEC Extended Diploma in Computing or a similar subject - allowing you to focus on your field and arming you with the skills you need to carry on, into employment. Many colleges will help you get internships or work experience also which will enrich your application.

I also suggest you get a firm base knowledge in Cyber by studying a short on line course - try Cisco Networking Academy: Cyber Security Essentials. The more you know about the field, the more confident you'll be.

You're completely wrong with your statement about A levels - most jobs don't care! Especially if you have practical knowledge

Regarding university, it is saddening to hear that you aren't getting support for your Dyslexia which is something you should chase - as you have a right to access that. However if you struggle with academic exams, then university may not be for you. You may wish to consider taking vocational qualifications and courses instead. This is where Cyber Security is a blessing - because nowadays, you're better off doing an apprenticeship instead! The Level 4 Cyber Security Technologist is an apprenticeship qualification provided by many organisations not limited to - Capgemini, Ministry of Defense, Civil Service, The Hut Group, Vodafone, Legal and General PLC and many, many more! These typically require either A levels, a good BTEC, or a Level 3 apprenticeship. You will be guaranteed a job and will have practical skills no other graduate will have.

Alternatively, you can even pursue degree level apprenticeships and uni courses with no many exams. The BSc Digital and Technology Solutions (Cyber Security) is a great qualification for this, offered in apprenticeships (although A levels are more desired here than L3 apprenticeships). Alternatively, courses like BSc Applied Cyber Security offered at the Uni of South Wales have *NO* exams, 100% coursework assessed and are designed to give you practical skills - they even have low entry requirements and are happy to take people with average BTECs or a Level 3 Apprenticeship.

You have many options. I would suggest you start looking at apprenticeships instead - and if you're looking at re doing your level 3 qualifications, a BTEC is a fantastic choice as you will have a portfolio of coursework and skills ready to show case. You should also look for work experience, and you may further wish to instead pursue a level 3 apprenticeship - another fantastic option because you will gain practical skills second to none whilst still getting a qualification (your organisation might even allow you to do a higher apprenticeship at the same place with a guaranteed job!). Look for the disability confident badge to make sure the employer has a good attitude towards candidates with Dyslexia.

Ultimately, it really really isn't the end of the world. In fact, every hacking prodigy I know, got shocking grades and hated Sixth form (if they even did A levels that is!).

Good luck, and do feel free to PM me for more specific guidance and schemes. I am heavily involved with the industry and I guide a lot of students into the sector!
Skeletonclique21
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
that's ridiculous! surely they can pay for that? i thought schools do? i may be wrong though. are you eligible for a 16-19 bursary? you could apply for one this sept and use it to pay to get tested?
sally.p
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Just for reference I got a U and an E in my mocks this time a year ago. I'm currently predicted an A* and an A. Don't stress it! I'm not dyslexic but I know that you should never allow it to stop you achieving your goals! Ask your teachers for extra help and seek advice from staff at your school/college. Even if (and this won't happen) you didn't do that well in your a levels next year, you'd at least have them. You may be able to resist a certain module after that, or remark coursework etc, to get your grade up. Dropping out won't achieve anything, and to be honest, you would have let the dyslexia win.
So keep at it! You got this

Mark59
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Have you tried using the Seneca platform to learn and revise? As a teacher of A level Economics I thoroughly recommend it. Check to see if any of your subjects are covered. You will also need to know which exam board you are using
Perry1993
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
First of all, whoever told you that having A-level education plays a part in your quality of life are pathetic people themselves, education on a curriculum basis is a guideline within its own sector, many people are successful without higher education and many people will continue to do so, never let anybody bring you down neither should you bring yourself down.Focus on what you want to achieve and go get it.
samnharry
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by D_1432)
Hi - don't feel that you can't do it. My chemistry teacher told me that in y12, she was achieving U,U,E in her subjects. She worked extremely hard over the following year and achieved AAB. It is possible to well - you still have time.

edit: I forgot to mention said teacher had dyslexia too
Lots of people have dyslexia now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads