Doing more than one course Watch

0IXUmOXI0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone. I'm 25 and have never been to university. Up until now I've always had the impression that you can only do one course at university, but after a little research it seems that that's not true!Apologies if this has been covered before in the forums. But I just wanted to ask how it's possible to do more than one course when so many people struggle and get stressed out doing just one? Wouldn't doing, e.g., two courses essentially double your workload, and doing three would triple it?Also does that mean you come out the other end with two or three separate degree qualifications as opposed to just one as most people do?Again, apologies if this has already been covered but I really would like to know! Just for background info at the moment I'm kind of leaning towards Business, Economics, Psychology and/or Sociology. I'm having trouble deciding, and ideally, if it were to suit me, I'd prefer to do two courses instead of one. Unless it'll make my hair fall out.....
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 0IXUmOXI0)
Hi everyone. I'm 25 and have never been to university. Up until now I've always had the impression that you can only do one course at university, but after a little research it seems that that's not true!Apologies if this has been covered before in the forums. But I just wanted to ask how it's possible to do more than one course when so many people struggle and get stressed out doing just one? Wouldn't doing, e.g., two courses essentially double your workload, and doing three would triple it?Also does that mean you come out the other end with two or three separate degree qualifications as opposed to just one as most people do?Again, apologies if this has already been covered but I really would like to know! Just for background info at the moment I'm kind of leaning towards Business, Economics, Psychology and/or Sociology. I'm having trouble deciding, and ideally, if it were to suit me, I'd prefer to do two courses instead of one. Unless it'll make my hair fall out.....
You can't do two full degrees at the same time, you can do joint degrees where it's half in one subject and half another and you can have different splits too.
0IXUmOXI0
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
You can't do two full degrees at the same time, you can do joint degrees where it's half in one subject and half another and you can have different splits too.
Oh wow, I didn't even know that was possible. So you can combine two subjects into one degree, but then doesn't that mean you'd be missing out on some modules of each subject?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh wow, I didn't even know that was possible. So you can combine two subjects into one degree, but then doesn't that mean you'd be missing out on some modules of each subject?
yes, generally you'd mostly do core modules from two subjects with perhaps a few optional ones.Look up social science BA, that would combine some of your interests.
0IXUmOXI0
Rep:
?
Ok, thanks.

So would you say a person that has a split-subject degree would be at a disadvantage of any kind? Are employers usually looking for people who have a degree in one solid subject?

Also, do you know if universities only ever start their courses in September? As I'm not ready for this September but am also balking at the thought of having to wait an entire year to get started..
(Original post by claireestelle)
yes, generally you'd mostly do core modules from two subjects with perhaps a few optional ones.Look up social science BA, that would combine some of your interests.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok, thanks.

So would you say a person that has a split-subject degree would be at a disadvantage of any kind? Are employers usually looking for people who have a degree in one solid subject?

Also, do you know if universities only ever start their courses in September? As I'm not ready for this September but am also balking at the thought of having to wait an entire year to get started..
Depends what your career plans are. For degrees that don't lead you into one specific career path it's fine, but if you wanted to teach your degree subject it could have an effect (e.g. physics with philosophy and you want to be a physics teacher)
There is also a subtle difference between "and" and "with" - be aware of it.
I know of one example of someone doing two undergrad degrees - the youtuber CGP Grey got two separate degrees, physics and sociology, but there's no information out there as to whether they were taken back to back, or simultaneously or what.
(Now that I think about it, there probably is something about that hidden among hundreds of hours of podcasts)
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.63%
No I am happy with my course choice (523)
59.36%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.42%

Watched Threads